Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-11-2018, 05:17 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Getting Cactus V6ii or RF60x to trigger a Metzblitz 44-AF2?

Ok, so I have the following thingies;

1x K-1
1x V6ii unit (tx mode)
1x RF60X
1x Metz 44 AF2

I cannot with this set up figure out how to trigger the Metz into firing with this set up, as it doesn't support 'optically' being triggered (i.e. a flash firing from the RF60 triggers it).

I did however manage to get the following set up to fire two flashes at once, that config was;

1x K-1
1x AF FGZ 540II Pentax Flash (mounted to K-1 hotshoe)
1x Metz 44 AF2 (in slave mode)

When using the above the 540II somehow told the 44 to fire as well, however it was not an optical flash signal to set things off.

So now I am wondering if it is at all possible to either config the V6ii unit or RF60x to be doing something to 'pass on the signal' to the Metz to tell it to fire, as currently with not a lot of menu diving into either Cactus units does 'default' do this.

I realise purchasing an additional V6ii, putting it into Rx mode, attaching to the Metz solves this, however I am trying to decide how many more V6ii triggers to get in a future purchase, 1 or 2 (along with something else like an AD200 etc).

If i can manage to get the Metz to play along then that might save me $90 for the cost of an additional V6ii unit when it's not necessarily required...

Cheers!

Bruce

08-11-2018, 05:25 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Metz Mecablitz 44 AF-1 Digital - Pentax P-TTL Flash Comparison

The 44-af-1 was in fact a wireless optical slave. It doesn't support non-pttl wireless perhaps? I realize yours is the AF-2 version.

To use the cactus system you need wireless receivers at each position.
08-11-2018, 05:28 PM   #3
BWG

The V6ii can’t fire the Metz. You need second V6ii in rx mode with the Metz on it (if Cactus supports the Metz, you’ll need to check their list of comparable flashes). The V6ii supports in rx mode supports the Pentax, Canon, Nikon and many of their third party compatable flashes.
Some ttl flashes can be programmed to work with the V6ii.
08-11-2018, 06:17 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Metz Mecablitz 44 AF-1 Digital - Pentax P-TTL Flash Comparison

The 44-af-1 was in fact a wireless optical slave. It doesn't support non-pttl wireless perhaps? I realize yours is the AF-2 version.

To use the cactus system you need wireless receivers at each position.
QuoteOriginally posted by BWG Quote
The V6ii canít fire the Metz. You need second V6ii in rx mode with the Metz on it (if Cactus supports the Metz, youíll need to check their list of comparable flashes). The V6ii supports in rx mode supports the Pentax, Canon, Nikon and many of their third party compatable flashes.
Some ttl flashes can be programmed to work with the V6ii.
Thanks for the replies chaps.

So then, explain to me how when I had the 540II mounted in my Pentax K-1 Hotshoe, and had the Metz 44 AF-2 set to Slave, it would indeed work and fire the Metz
If the metz was not being optically triggered, has a Slave mode, then what system was working to get it to fire from the 540II??!

Can such a system not be replicated from the RF60x (or V6ii), do I need it to send out a 'pulse' of some sort?

08-11-2018, 06:30 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Thanks for the replies chaps.

So then, explain to me how when I had the 540II mounted in my Pentax K-1 Hotshoe, and had the Metz 44 AF-2 set to Slave, it would indeed work and fire the Metz
If the metz was not being optically triggered, has a Slave mode, then what system was working to get it to fire from the 540II??!

Can such a system not be replicated from the RF60x (or V6ii), do I need it to send out a 'pulse' of some sort?
You are misreading me. Optical P-TTL slave is supported. Radio isn't without an additional device. The Metz was optically triggered. Proove it by replicating the 540 triggering then block all light from it and try again. The Metz won't fire without seeing the light.
08-11-2018, 08:05 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
You are misreading me. Optical P-TTL slave is supported. Radio isn't without an additional device. The Metz was optically triggered. Proove it by replicating the 540 triggering then block all light from it and try again. The Metz won't fire without seeing the light.
Wish I could but I no longer have the 540II.

I was only testing at the time, not doing real photography with it, could it be that I had the Metz on camera and 540II off, and it was thus working?

Because currently I can in no way trigger the Metz to fire from the RF60x firing, and thus then it should never have been able to fire from the 540II, correct?

I was under the impression that perhaps the 540II was sending a radio signal or something to tell the metz to fire, and if I could get the RF60x to be on the same channel or something then perhaps that would indeed trigger the Metz to fire too, even if line of sight was needed etc.
08-11-2018, 08:13 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wish I could but I no longer have the 540II.

I was only testing at the time, not doing real photography with it, could it be that I had the Metz on camera and 540II off, and it was thus working?

Because currently I can in no way trigger the Metz to fire from the RF60x firing, and thus then it should never have been able to fire from the 540II, correct?

I was under the impression that perhaps the 540II was sending a radio signal or something to tell the metz to fire, and if I could get the RF60x to be on the same channel or something then perhaps that would indeed trigger the Metz to fire too, even if line of sight was needed etc.
No the Metz can ONLY be a P-TTL slave not a P-TTL master. The RF60x doesn't do P-TTL at all. P-TTL is all optical no radio. P-TTL uses the optical flash to signal the slave flash the exposure info read from the scene by the preflash and then the slave fires when the main flash fires. Without this optical language signaling what to do the Metz stays inert.

See page 103 in the manual: https://www.metz-mecatech.de/index.php?eID=tx_nawsecuredl&u=0&file=fileadmin...06d2cfff4dd746
08-11-2018, 08:51 PM   #8
BWG

Another way of explaining it is you have two different systems, Pentax optical and Cactus radio. They are not really interchangeable. The beauty of the Cactus setup is you can use some Pentax, Nikon, Canon or third parties flashes (I stress some - maybe the Metz?) on a V6ii in receiver mode and have total control from the V6ii transmitter on the camera body.

08-12-2018, 12:08 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
No the Metz can ONLY be a P-TTL slave not a P-TTL master. The RF60x doesn't do P-TTL at all. P-TTL is all optical no radio. P-TTL uses the optical flash to signal the slave flash the exposure info read from the scene by the preflash and then the slave fires when the main flash fires. Without this optical language signaling what to do the Metz stays inert.

See page 103 in the manual: https://www.metz-mecatech.de/index.php?eID=tx_nawsecuredl&u=0&file=fileadmin...06d2cfff4dd746
Ok, I think I get it, so either sell the Metz 44 and replace with a second rf60x or get a V6ii trigger (rx mode) to assist with the two flashes working together?
08-12-2018, 12:36 AM   #10
Forum Member

I use a Metz 64 along with a RF60x, the Metz needs a V6ii on it set to RX mode for it to work, for ease and compatibility, I again may consider moving on the AF64 and replacing it with another RF60x, keeping the trigger as quite often I shoot with a colleague and we could have either RF60x set to different channels.
08-12-2018, 08:43 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ok, I think I get it, so either sell the Metz 44 and replace with a second rf60x or get a V6ii trigger (rx mode) to assist with the two flashes working together?
Yes - the RF60x is a very nice flash and easier to deal with in many ways than putting a Cactus under the Metz, but the Metz allows you to continue doing P-TTL work with it when you want to.