Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-13-2018, 08:27 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
HSS with Flashpoint Evolv AD200 and Godox R2 Trigger and Cactus v6 ii combo help

Hello all,

I am pretty sure that this has been addressed previously, but i was not able to find anything related to the R2 trigger.

Gear - Camera - Pentax K1
Flash - Flashpoint Evolv AD200 (https://www.adorama.com/fplfev200.html?)
Trigger - Godox R2 for Nikon. (https://www.adorama.com/fprrr2tn.html?)
Trigger - Cactus V6 ii

Setup - Cactus V6ii on Pentax K1. Godox R2 stacked on Cactus v6 ii.

Settings - Cactus - Camera system - Pentax; Flash - Nikon. Sync mode - Hyper Sync/Power Sync
Evolv AD200 - HSS

Success - I was able to get the flash to trigger beyond the sync speed.

Issue - when the flash was at full power, camera recognizes the output from the flash however at any other power, the camera is not recognizing the flash output.

Any help with the setup would be appreciated. Would R2 work or do i have to get an additional trigger to get the Psuedo HSS working?

Thanks in advance.

08-14-2018, 04:17 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think the sync mode on the Cactus trigger needs to be set to:
Normal HSS not powersync.

Tell me how it goes.

Howie Be
08-14-2018, 08:19 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you Howie. Will test it today and will update you with the findings

QuoteOriginally posted by howieb101 Quote
I think the sync mode on the Cactus trigger needs to be set to:
Normal HSS not powersync.

Tell me how it goes.

Howie Be
08-14-2018, 11:50 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sureshgvv Quote
Hello all,

Success - I was able to get the flash to trigger beyond the sync speed.

Issue - when the flash was at full power, camera recognizes the output from the flash however at any other power, the camera is not recognizing the flash output.
Hello, just to clarify.
When you say that your flash triggers beyond sync speed, you mean that YOU see that the flash fires, so you think the flash is firing & synching in HSS mode.
When you say that the camera only sees the flash at fulll power, you mean that from 1/200 to 1/8000, you see that the flash fires, but you only see the flash output on your picture when the flash is at full power, maybe at 1/1-1/3EV you can see a bit of ligh at the bottom of the frame...

Is it correct?

If so, this is my guess:
Your camera-flash is not synching HSS at all, you are just synching in power sync mode on the cactus V6II and no matter if you set the AD200 on HSS mode, this mode is not being 'activated' by your trigger. When your flash fires at full power it generates a pulse for long enough so the camera can 'sync', and part of the light reaches the sensor. Sorry, there are really better explanations of power/hyper sync over there . If you have time, you can read my thread 'AD200 HSS frustration', I had the same problem or very similar to yours, but found a solution.

As far as I know, and I tested a lot of Godox flashes and triggers, only the XproC (maybe the XproN too) is able to use the V6 II's normal sync mode properly, is recognised by the V6 II as a real Canon device and sets the AD200 in HSS mode automatically.
For other triggers and flashes that support the Godox X protocol, my solution was to put a configuration similar to:
CACTUS - pentax camera & manual flash, power sync mode
AD200 - disable wireless mode, put in HSS mode manually and put an extra XT16 receiver on the USB port.

I know, it's a sad solution, and I hope I was wrong. Maybe with K1 & X1T-N/Godox R2 you could put it to work without the extra receiver. I could't test such combination. Please, let us know.

Regards.

08-14-2018, 05:28 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by morenjavi Quote
Hello, just to clarify.
When you say that your flash triggers beyond sync speed, you mean that YOU see that the flash fires, so you think the flash is firing & synching in HSS mode.
Yes

When you say that the camera only sees the flash at fulll power, you mean that from 1/200 to 1/8000, you see that the flash fires, but you only see the flash output on your picture when the flash is at full power, maybe at 1/1-1/3EV you can see a bit of ligh at the bottom of the frame...

Is it correct?
Yes

If so, this is my guess:
Your camera-flash is not synching HSS at all, you are just synching in power sync mode on the cactus V6II and no matter if you set the AD200 on HSS mode, this mode is not being 'activated' by your trigger. When your flash fires at full power it generates a pulse for long enough so the camera can 'sync', and part of the light reaches the sensor. Sorry, there are really better explanations of power/hyper sync over there . If you have time, you can read my thread 'AD200 HSS frustration', I had the same problem or very similar to yours, but found a solution.

As far as I know, and I tested a lot of Godox flashes and triggers, only the XproC (maybe the XproN too) is able to use the V6 II's normal sync mode properly, is recognised by the V6 II as a real Canon device and sets the AD200 in HSS mode automatically.
For other triggers and flashes that support the Godox X protocol, my solution was to put a configuration similar to:
CACTUS - pentax camera & manual flash, power sync mode
AD200 - disable wireless mode, put in HSS mode manually and put an extra XT16 receiver on the USB port.

I know, it's a sad solution, and I hope I was wrong. Maybe with K1 & X1T-N/Godox R2 you could put it to work without the extra receiver. I could't test such combination. Please, let us know.

Regards.
Will have to run through the tests over the weekend. Thank you for your feedback. So far with the Godox R2 for nikon, i was not able to get the HSS.

I was able to successfully get the HSS (Pseudo) using the Yongnou 560 iV and the nikon triggers. Wanted to upgrade to the AD200 and now i am frustrated.
08-14-2018, 06:21 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have a Godox AD360 (next model up from yours, Sureshgvv, and I just use one Cactus V6 II on it and another on the Pentax, and I get HSS in manual mode just fine.

Am forgetting about trying for P-TTL.
08-14-2018, 08:12 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tested working settings

Hi sureshgvv .

Okay, I just tested and I did get HSS at 1/4000 and 1/640. I'm not going to test every shutter speed above 1/200 but it seems to work fine. Also I could definitely adjust flash power of the Godox AD200 with the XPRO-C.

This is with the following equipment:
  • Pentax K1;
  • 1 Cactus V6 II with 1 Godox XPRO-C stacked on top. Note: Canon version of trigger;
  • Godox AD200.

Cactus V6 II firmware is 1.1.013.

Cactus V6 II Settings
  1. Camera system: Pentax;
  2. Flash system: Canon (You will set yours to Nikon as you have Nikon version of trigger);
  3. Flash Profile: Auto Canon (Again, I presume you will set to Nikon as you have Nikon version of trigger);
  4. Sync mode: Normal HSS. Note: NOT Hyper Sync/Power Sync.

Godox XPRO-C Settings
  1. Set sync to HSS.

Note: The setting the sync mode on the XPRO trigger is important as it seems to trick the Cactus into believing a flash with HSS capability is mounted. If you don't you cannot set a shutter speed above 1/200 on your camera.

Also, I have found in practice that the sequence to turn each device on is as follows:
  1. Turn on camera;
  2. Turn on Cactus trigger;
  3. Turn on Godox trigger.

I have this taped onto my XPRO trigger as a reminder.

You only need one Cactus V6 II
As you have currently and as Clackers mentioned, you only need one Cactus V6 II.

Save (i) the environment; and (ii) your dollars; and don't buy an additional V6 II. There is mis-information out on the web implying you need to buy an additional V6 II. You DON"T need to.

PDF Instructions
I have created a pdf instructions with pictures here for Pentaxians to reference.

I hope this helps.

Howie Be

Last edited by howieb101; 08-14-2018 at 09:58 PM. Reason: Add link
08-15-2018, 02:31 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you Howie. I will follow your instructions and update the thread.
08-15-2018, 02:50 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Hello,

As there are so many combinations to get HSS with Cactus V6 II and different Godox triggers and flashes, I'll try to make a table with the needed configuration for the known combinations. This complements the settings of howieb101 for the XProC & AD200 combination.

For Cactus V6 II, we'll use the firmware 1.1.013. It seems that is valid for all the APS-C and K1 cameras.

A. TRIGGERS. You have any of the following:
  • FT16, old 433Mhz trigger
  • XT16, XT32, X1-TN/C (not fully tested). These are 'new' triggers with 2.4GHz 'X' protocol
A.1 FLASHES V850, AD360 and 'old' 433Mhz (not all flashes has been tested)
  • Configure the V6 II as: Pentax Camera, Manual flash, power sync or normal HSS
  • Configure your Godox flash forcing the HSS mode
  • Nothing more on your Godox trigger
A.2 FLASH AD200. Other 'new' devices with internal receiver that support the 'X' protocol (not tested)
  • On your flash, disable the wireless mode, put a proper receiver (FT16R/XT16R) on the USB port.
  • Proceed as A.1
B. TRIGGERS. You have the XProC (XProN not tested)
B.1 FLASHES V850, AD360 and 'old' 433Mhz (not all flashes has been tested)

• Configure the V6 II as: Pentax Camera, Manual flash or Canon Flash(Godox V860C profile), normal HSS or power sync
  • Configure your Godox flash forcing the HSS mode
  • Configure your XProC... well, it doesn't matter if you put the SYNC mode or not

B.2 FLASH AD200. Other 'new' devices with internal receiver that support the 'X' protocol (not tested)

• Configure the V6 II with: Pentax Camera, Canon Flash(Godox V860C profile), normal HSS
  • Nothing needed on your AD200. Check that wireless mode is on and you have the correct channel, etc.
  • Configure your XProC with SYNC mode on, check that a camera symbol apperars on the XproC display when you set the Cactus V6 II to ON.
NOTES:
if you want power sync then select POWER SYNC on the V6 II and 1/1 power on your AD200. It will only work at 1/1 power.
The V6 II settings here are valid for case B.1 too.
C. Other triggers, tested with Yongnuo rf602 & rf605, V850, AD360 AD200.
  • Put the trigger on top of your Cactus V6 II
  • Put the receiver on the hotshoe of your flash or connected to the sync port
  • Disable the wireless mode for AD200 and similar. Force HSS.
  • In general proceed as point A
I started a thread time ago with a mini-review of the XproC, including my experience in real work. If you just want to set up your XproC, howieb101's instruccions are more than enough.

Regards.