Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-16-2018, 09:51 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Hello,

I'm afraid this will be another long post, but let me explain how I understand the different triggers and flashes from Godox, and how can we configure, as a general rule, any combination to make it work for HSS.

As a general setup, we can get HSS meeting two requirements:
1. A trigger (FT16,XT16,XT32,X1T,XproC, you can add any other dumb/single trigger here) stacked on top on the Cactus V6II, cactus configured as using manual flash
2. A Godox flash with HSS forced AND a valid receiver, so the flash can receive the fire signal from the trigger

Most of the old and manual Godox flashes can be fired this way: you force the HSS mode on the flash, then our nice Cactus V6 II 'captures' the HSS signal from Pentax camera and send it to the stacked trigger. The trigger send a fire signal to the flash at correct timing, the flash fires with the near-continuous HSS light, and you get your frame illuminated. Everything is nice and wonderful.

Ok, so now we have the AD200, a more advanced flash, with HSS, TTL... so we do the same, press the rear button to force HSS, put a trigger on top of our Cactus V6 II and ... we get no synching at all, only at full power.
The problem with the AD200, and probably similar flashes, is that in wireless mode, using its internal receiver, you cannot force the HSS mode, yes you see the 'H' symbol on the display and yes, you see that the AD200 is firing when you are above 1/180, but it's using normal pulses, no HSS, you don't get light in your frame. To enable/disable HSS mode on the AD200 when your have wireless mode on, you need a valid trigger that could send a kind of commnad/signal to do that, it is my understanding, if such signal is not received, the AD200 will remain in normal mode.

The only way on the AD200 to really force HSS, is by disabling wireless mode. But with wireless mode disabled, your internal receiver is disabled too, so you need another receiver. The AD200 with wireless mode off, is just similiar to any other manual flash, so you can configure the same settings you could use for a V850 or AD360... but you need a XT16 receiver, not expensive anyway.

About the Godox triggers, in my view, they have three different 'capabilities':
A. Can send a signal/command to fire the remote flash
B. Can send a signal/command to enable/disable HSS on the remote flash
C. Can 'talk' about TTL things...

The XT16 is the most basic trigger and support only 'A', XT32 supports 'A' and 'B', and XT1 & Xpro support 'A,B,C'.
But, obviously, to get all that wonderfull capabilities, you need a proper Canon or Nikon camera. If not, if you just put any trigger on top of your Pentax camera, you'll only be able to handle with 'A', that is, to send a fire signal, and only up to 1/180.

So let's get the Cactus V6 II, this trigger is able to send a fire signal to any trigger on top when you are above 1/180. But there is more, as the Cactus can 'talk' with several Nikon, Canon... flashes on top, talking not only about firing, but about HSS too.
The XT32C is a trigger that can handle with HSS, is able to fire the AD200 in manual mode with HSS, but the Cactus V6II is not able to recognise as a real Canon flash, and the XT32C doesn't see the Cactus as a real Canon camera, so you can only send fire signals. If I want to fire my AD200 with my XT32C, I need to disable wireless mode and put a XT16 receiver. I think that's exactly what happens with your X1T-N.

The XproC is different, if you configure the Cactus with Canon flash - Godox V860C profile (maybe other profiles are valid too), the XproC can see the Cactus as if it were a real Canon camera, and the Cactus can see the XproC as a real Canon flash. So with this configuration you can handle not only with firing the remote flash, but also HSS, this way the XproC is able to enable or disable HSS mode on the AD200, depending on your speed. Automatically, you donīt need to do anything on your AD200.

So, as a conclusion, the most important points to get HSS working, in my view are:
1. Can you really force the HSS mode on your flash?
2. Is your trigger really 'compatible' with the Cactus V6 II ?

I think your X1T-N is similar to the XT32C, that is, is doesn't see the Cactus as a real Nikon camera and the Cactus doesn't see as a real compatible Nikon flash.
The last checking you can do, is to configure your Cactus V6 II with Nikon flash, and check every nikon profile, I think the Godox V860N profile should be the most 'compatible'. Let the other settings as Howieb told you. If you couldn't find any good Nikon profile, then your only option is to proceed as disabling wireless mode etc.

About the SYNC setting on the XproC. When this setting if OFF, the effect on the camera is that you cannot go above 1/180 speed, so it's limiting your camera to normal sync speeds. If the setting is ON, then you can go above 1/180. This is another indication that the Cactus V6 II and the XproC are really compatible, because you are changing a setting on the trigger and you see an effect on your camera.

I recommend the XproC not only for saving an extra receiver, but for the 'automatic HSS' with the AD200.

Regards.

08-16-2018, 12:05 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Thank you for the detailed explanation on the Godox triggers. Really appreciate all your help.

QuoteOriginally posted by morenjavi Quote
Hello,

I'm afraid this will be another long post, but let me explain how I understand the different triggers and flashes from Godox, and how can we configure, as a general rule, any combination to make it work for HSS.

As a general setup, we can get HSS meeting two requirements:
1. A trigger (FT16,XT16,XT32,X1T,XproC, you can add any other dumb/single trigger here) stacked on top on the Cactus V6II, cactus configured as using manual flash
2. A Godox flash with HSS forced AND a valid receiver, so the flash can receive the fire signal from the trigger

Most of the old and manual Godox flashes can be fired this way: you force the HSS mode on the flash, then our nice Cactus V6 II 'captures' the HSS signal from Pentax camera and send it to the stacked trigger. The trigger send a fire signal to the flash at correct timing, the flash fires with the near-continuous HSS light, and you get your frame illuminated. Everything is nice and wonderful.

Ok, so now we have the AD200, a more advanced flash, with HSS, TTL... so we do the same, press the rear button to force HSS, put a trigger on top of our Cactus V6 II and ... we get no synching at all, only at full power.
The problem with the AD200, and probably similar flashes, is that in wireless mode, using its internal receiver, you cannot force the HSS mode, yes you see the 'H' symbol on the display and yes, you see that the AD200 is firing when you are above 1/180, but it's using normal pulses, no HSS, you don't get light in your frame. To enable/disable HSS mode on the AD200 when your have wireless mode on, you need a valid trigger that could send a kind of commnad/signal to do that, it is my understanding, if such signal is not received, the AD200 will remain in normal mode.

The only way on the AD200 to really force HSS, is by disabling wireless mode. But with wireless mode disabled, your internal receiver is disabled too, so you need another receiver. The AD200 with wireless mode off, is just similiar to any other manual flash, so you can configure the same settings you could use for a V850 or AD360... but you need a XT16 receiver, not expensive anyway.

About the Godox triggers, in my view, they have three different 'capabilities':
A. Can send a signal/command to fire the remote flash
B. Can send a signal/command to enable/disable HSS on the remote flash
C. Can 'talk' about TTL things...

The XT16 is the most basic trigger and support only 'A', XT32 supports 'A' and 'B', and XT1 & Xpro support 'A,B,C'.
But, obviously, to get all that wonderfull capabilities, you need a proper Canon or Nikon camera. If not, if you just put any trigger on top of your Pentax camera, you'll only be able to handle with 'A', that is, to send a fire signal, and only up to 1/180.

So let's get the Cactus V6 II, this trigger is able to send a fire signal to any trigger on top when you are above 1/180. But there is more, as the Cactus can 'talk' with several Nikon, Canon... flashes on top, talking not only about firing, but about HSS too.
The XT32C is a trigger that can handle with HSS, is able to fire the AD200 in manual mode with HSS, but the Cactus V6II is not able to recognise as a real Canon flash, and the XT32C doesn't see the Cactus as a real Canon camera, so you can only send fire signals. If I want to fire my AD200 with my XT32C, I need to disable wireless mode and put a XT16 receiver. I think that's exactly what happens with your X1T-N.

The XproC is different, if you configure the Cactus with Canon flash - Godox V860C profile (maybe other profiles are valid too), the XproC can see the Cactus as if it were a real Canon camera, and the Cactus can see the XproC as a real Canon flash. So with this configuration you can handle not only with firing the remote flash, but also HSS, this way the XproC is able to enable or disable HSS mode on the AD200, depending on your speed. Automatically, you donīt need to do anything on your AD200.

So, as a conclusion, the most important points to get HSS working, in my view are:
1. Can you really force the HSS mode on your flash?
2. Is your trigger really 'compatible' with the Cactus V6 II ?

I think your X1T-N is similar to the XT32C, that is, is doesn't see the Cactus as a real Nikon camera and the Cactus doesn't see as a real compatible Nikon flash.
The last checking you can do, is to configure your Cactus V6 II with Nikon flash, and check every nikon profile, I think the Godox V860N profile should be the most 'compatible'. Let the other settings as Howieb told you. If you couldn't find any good Nikon profile, then your only option is to proceed as disabling wireless mode etc.

About the SYNC setting on the XproC. When this setting if OFF, the effect on the camera is that you cannot go above 1/180 speed, so it's limiting your camera to normal sync speeds. If the setting is ON, then you can go above 1/180. This is another indication that the Cactus V6 II and the XproC are really compatible, because you are changing a setting on the trigger and you see an effect on your camera.

I recommend the XproC not only for saving an extra receiver, but for the 'automatic HSS' with the AD200.

Regards.
08-16-2018, 02:25 PM   #18

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for this great info howieb101, I think I know the answer but I want to ask to be sure, will this setup work with a AD600 instead of a AD200?
08-16-2018, 07:27 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi Bumblebee71.

Sorry but I do not own an AD600 so I cannot say for sure. It probably works but no guarantees.

Howie Be

08-17-2018, 01:48 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Hello, on my side, of course I can't give any guarantees too. If I had the money now, I'd buy a AD400 with the confidence that is going to work with the Cactus/XproC combo.

I have read the AD600 manual, and it's really similar to the AD200:
* wireless mode, that can be disabled
* button to force HSS
* there is a wireless control port (USB) that allows to put another receiver (same as the AD200)
* sync port
* funcions are near 100% same as AD200
* support the same 'X' protocol, as the AD200, this is the key.

The AD200 works really well with the Cactus V6 II + XproC, and the reason is that there is a good compatibility between Cactus - XproC, and the XproC is able to control HSS tasks. It doesn't happen with other Godox triggers.

So, in my own opinion, if you had the AD600 and Cactus V6 II + XproC combo, there were two possibilities:
1. It will work as good as with the AD200, because AD600 understands the same 'X' protocol, this is the most probable.
2. You'll get the same problem as other users, with speeds above 1/180 you'll see the remote flash is firing, but no light on the frame (HSS is not working). In this case, the solution is to disable wireless mode, put a receiver on the USB port and enable HSS manually on the AD600. Such operations are possible and are described in the AD600's manual, exactly as with the AD200. In this mode, you'll not get any automatic HSS, you need to set HSS manually on the flash.

In any case I'm convinced that HSS is possible with the XproC. In the worst case, you'll need an extra receiver.

Take it at your own risk, I don't have a AD600 to be 100% sure, and check if all the functions are exactly the same as the AD200, sorry.

Regards.
08-23-2018, 06:28 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi,

Just wanted to give you an update. After following Howie and Morejavi's directions, i was able to get the HSS working with a XPRO trigger and AD200. Thank you for your guidance and feedback..

When the trigger is mounted on the godox, it is going into a TTL mode. is there a way to keep that in a manual mode?

Thanks
Suresh
08-23-2018, 09:26 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Do you mean when the Godox trigger is mounted on the Cactus V6II?

08-23-2018, 09:46 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by howieb101 Quote
Do you mean when the Godox trigger is mounted on the Cactus V6II?
Yes, my bad. Was in a hurry...
08-23-2018, 12:11 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Hello, if you want to disable TTL, then goto (XProC) MENU->GROUP and choose '16 (0-F)'.

This way when you select a GROUP and press 'MODE' you will cycle M/-- only, just enable/disable a group. It's faster than cycle M/TTL/--.
I did a lot of checks and tests with this trigger here, including the above, if you have time and patience to read: Godox XProC on Pentax: tests with my K3II, V6 II and other Godox equipment - PentaxForums.com.

When you start the Cactus usually all the groups are set to ON (M), regardless of your previous configuration.

Regards,
Javier.
08-23-2018, 01:14 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Rumor was going around that Godox/Flashpoint was going to come out with a Pentax versio of the XPro. So that will negate the need for the Cactus v6ii in this setup, right? (If it ever materializes)
08-23-2018, 04:49 PM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jake14mw Quote
Rumor was going around that Godox/Flashpoint was going to come out with a Pentax versio of the XPro. So that will negate the need for the Cactus v6ii in this setup, right? (If it ever materializes)

RIGHT!

I search news frecuently about this, but I haven't found anything new.
Not only you will not need the Cactus, but you will get also TTL with this trigger.

I hope Godox develop it soon.
08-23-2018, 06:57 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hello, if you want to disable TTL, then goto (XProC) MENU->GROUP and choose '16 (0-F)'.
Thanks morenjavi. Great tip. I never knew about this and it definitely makes things that bit faster and easier.

QuoteOriginally posted by jake14mw Quote
Rumor was going around that Godox/Flashpoint was going to come out with a Pentax version of the XPro. So that will negate the need for the Cactus v6ii in this setup, right? (If it ever materializes)
It would be nice but I'm not holding my breath. TTL would be handy but I'm pretty sure I'd use manual most of the time still anyway. Foregoing the Cactus trigger would be nice for HSS obviously.

The useful thing would be it would most probably enable the AF assist light on the Godox trigger. At the moment we can't utilise it (that I am aware of).

Howie Be
10-21-2018, 06:36 AM   #28

RIGHT!

I search news frecuently about this, but I haven't found anything new.
Not only you will not need the Cactus, but you will get also TTL with this trigger.

I hope Godox develop it soon.
Godox XPRO-P is now available. It's good news!
10-24-2018, 02:23 PM   #29

Just to update this thread; the AD200 now has a firmware update (v2.2) to make it TTL/HSS compatible with the Godox Xpro-P transmitter. You don't need to sandwich a V6II between the transmitter and the camera any more to get HSS if you have an XPro-P. And you get TTL and TCM (TTL convert to Manual).

You will need the G2 firmware updater and the AD200 firmware update file. Both of the files download from the Godox site in .rar archives (if internet explorer renamed them, you can just rename them both back to .rar files to unarchive them with 7zip or other zip utility). Both archives will contain two files: a PDF for documentation, and the installer / the firmware file itself. The G2 installation will also include a separate USB driver installation.

You will need to run G2 on a Windows box (virtual or real), and you'll need a micro USB cable that can transfer data (not just charge devices). You'll want to use the micro USB port by the power switch, NOT the full-sized USB-A port (which is for plugging in a 433MHz FTR16 receiver if you want to use Godox's older triggering system). Some folks find that swapping cables helps if the firmware update doesn't work/connect. Also, if anything unpacks with Chinese characters in the file/folder names, you may want to delete those characters.

Last edited by inkista; 10-24-2018 at 02:30 PM.