Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
08-14-2018, 09:23 PM - 5 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax K1, Godox AD200, Godox XPRO and Cactus V6 II: HSS Setting Instructions

Hi All.

Previously I have provided instructions with the Godox Ving 850 flash and different Godox trriggers. It seems a number of people are upgrading or getting into the Godox system with the Godox AD200 and the XPRO trigger.

I am providing instructions in this thread. If you want to promote other brands or equipment, please start an alternative thread and discuss there. This thread is to help users get their equipment working.

Equipment List
This is with the following equipment:
  • 1 Pentax K1;
  • 1 Cactus V6 II;
  • 1 Godox XPRO-C stacked on top of the Cactus V6 II. Note: Canon version of XPRO trigger;
  • 1 Godox AD200.

Cactus V6 II firmware is 1.1.013.

Cactus V6 II Settings
  1. Camera system: Pentax;
  2. Flash system: Canon (Trigger is XPRO-C hence Canon setting);
  3. Flash Profile: Auto Canon (Trigger is XPRO-C hence Canon setting);
  4. Sync mode: Normal HSS..

Godox XPRO-C Settings
  1. Set sync to HSS.

Note: The setting the sync mode on the XPRO trigger is important as it seems to trick the Cactus into believing a flash with HSS capability is mounted. If you don't you cannot set a shutter speed above 1/200 on your camera.

Also, I have found in practice that the sequence to turn each device is as follows:
  1. Turn on camera;
  2. Turn on Cactus trigger;
  3. Turn on Godox trigger.

I have this info taped onto my XPRO trigger as a reminder.

Only a single Cactus V6 II is required
You only need one Cactus V6 II.

Save:
(i) the environment; and
(ii) your dollars; and don't buy an additional V6 II that you don't require.

There is mis-information out on the web implying you need to buy an additional V6 II. You DON"T need to.

PDF Instructions
I have created a pdf with pictures here for Pentaxians to reference.

Howie Be

08-14-2018, 09:49 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Thank you so much, Howie!!!
08-15-2018, 02:29 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you Howie.
08-15-2018, 02:57 AM   #4
pid
Pentaxian

Hi Howie, did you test it with the newest Firmware of the V6II?
The newest Multi Brand firmware now is also available with the new "A" protocoll: V62.A.001
This is the follower of Firmware 1.1.013
Would be great, if you could test if this works too.

08-15-2018, 04:08 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi pid.

Well if you click on the cross brand HSS link in this document from the Cactus website (Click on "Universal", this happens to be the first hyperlink in the document):
https://www.cactus-image.com/cactus_v6ii_fwupdate_notes.pdf
it sends you V1.1.013 as the latest firmware.

Am I missing something or is the document out of date?

Howie Be

Last edited by howieb101; 08-15-2018 at 04:10 AM. Reason: Typo
08-15-2018, 09:07 AM   #6
pid
Pentaxian

Hi Howie,
the new versions were released on 13th August 2018. You can read it here:
New Multi-brand HSS firmware in the testing ? Cactus Community
just read Antonios post from 08.13.2018

You can download it with the Cactus Updater App and install as always.
The newest Versions are:

X-TTL firmware (PEN.A.002)
Multi-brand HSS firmware (V62.A.001)
08-15-2018, 09:49 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the update but sorry, I don't think I will do the testing.

The 1.1.013 firmware seemed stable to me. I don't really have much interest in the old V6's anymore as in general terms I've moved to lithium ion powered lights/strobes.

I really only want use the one Cactus V6 II to enable HSS with my Godox lights.

08-15-2018, 11:31 AM   #8
pid
Pentaxian

Hi Howie,
you missunderstood. The Multi-Brand-HSS firmware V62.A.001 is the new firmware for Cactus V6II
And the firmware V61.A.001 is the new firmware with A-protocol for old Cactus V6 (no HSS)
These are different firmware versions for different Cactus Triggers.
New is, that now all of them can work together and can be mixed.
I hope the Godox will work with the new firmware.
There is also a new x-TTL firmware for Pentax: PEN.A.002

Last edited by pid; 08-15-2018 at 11:37 AM.
08-16-2018, 12:13 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi pid.

Well, I decided to try the new firmware after all which is labelled as "HSS.A.001". It seemed to work correctly as per my setup instructions in post #1 with the only change being the new firmware. The main thing is that HSS is still working with the new firmware with the Godox XPRO-C trigger and AD200 combination.

Anyway, for my own peace of mind I'm actually going back to the previous firmware as everything was already working fine for my use cases.

Note: For people who use multiple Cactus triggers my testing of the new firmware proves little as the V6 II isn't trying to communicate to another V6 II or V6 with this setup.

V6 II AF Assist Light
As a side note, I was doing a shoot with a black background and little ambient light and a plus with the V6 II is you can force it to keep its red AF assist light on.

Howie Be
08-16-2018, 12:35 AM   #10
Pentaxian

So, is the firmware disponible now ? Yesterday, I visited Cactus site and read the firmware release notes for V6 II, but didn't see anything related to new versions, so I just supposed that the new firmware were not released yet, V6 or V6 II.

Regards.
08-16-2018, 01:17 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
They haven't updated their documentation on their website.

If you use the firmware updater the new firmware is there.
08-16-2018, 02:55 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Howie,

Based on the below, would the Godox/Flashpoint R2 trigger not work for HSS? the Trigger does not have the HSS sync option on the trigger.

Thanks
Suresh

QuoteOriginally posted by howieb101 Quote

Godox XPRO-C Settings
  1. Set sync to HSS.

Note: The setting the sync mode on the XPRO trigger is important as it seems to trick the Cactus into believing a flash with HSS capability is mounted. If you don't you cannot set a shutter speed above 1/200 on your camera.
08-16-2018, 03:10 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Hello, XproC and X1T/Flashpoint R2 are different triggers. Howieb's setup instructions are valid for the XproC.
I don't know if the X1T/R2 have this SYNC mode as the XproC. Also, notice that we don't know if the Cactus V6 II is able to 'see' the R2 as a real canon device, as with the XproC. It seems it's not the case.

As I commented on other thread you opened related to the R2, I think your trigger is more similar to a XT16/32 trigger than to XproC, so you'll need finally an extra receiver and to disable your AD200's wireless mode, to get HSS working.

Regards.
08-16-2018, 06:25 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you! I think i will get the XPROC

QuoteOriginally posted by morenjavi Quote
Hello, XproC and X1T/Flashpoint R2 are different triggers. Howieb's setup instructions are valid for the XproC.
I don't know if the X1T/R2 have this SYNC mode as the XproC. Also, notice that we don't know if the Cactus V6 II is able to 'see' the R2 as a real canon device, as with the XproC. It seems it's not the case.

As I commented on other thread you opened related to the R2, I think your trigger is more similar to a XT16/32 trigger than to XproC, so you'll need finally an extra receiver and to disable your AD200's wireless mode, to get HSS working.

Regards.
08-16-2018, 08:37 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

HI,

Did some more research on the X1T/R2-N, looks like it is HSS enabled, however, the setting is based on the flash settings in the Nikon camera.

Thanks
Suresh

QuoteOriginally posted by morenjavi Quote

Regards.