Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-19-2018, 01:03 AM   #196

The mark II version of the XPRO triggers announced that it will be possible to use proportionnal ratio for the modeling lamp.

It do not actually works like promised :

- with godox AD600B, I can only put modeling light ON or OFF (as with the original xpro-trigger)
- with godox SK400II,I cannot use the fixed ratio of light

nor can i use the possibility to put the modeling light down during recharge of the capacity
which is always used to let the photographer see that all of the flashes in the studio have well fired.
If one light don't goes OFF, this perticular flash has not fired.
It's a visual indicator ... (the audio signal emitted after full recharge, in a configuration of multi-flash, let not know which flash would have not fired)
As with the AD600 the recharge is so fast, this visual indicator is no always visible ...
In the past, generator taken 3 to 10 seconds to recharge, and so you have the same time to see if all the flashes have fired.
Now, with the AD600, the recharge is very short and operate sometimes in a fraction of second,so you could sometimes not seen if the modeling has gone off at all.
It's annoying

With the SK400II it's a bit more annoying ... when I try to put the modeling light ON with the xpro-trigger, the light of flash goes ON in proportionnal mode (even if
the trigger mention "PRCT 25%" for instance. Moreover, the way the light goes OFF during recharge is automatically cancelled : the automatic GOES OFF is suppressed and
is replaced by REMAIN ON. If I have put manually the SK400II in 50% of modeling light, when i press the MODeling light of the trigger, the flashe goes also in PROPortionnal mode

So, the advantage presented in the documentation of the mark II is not usable

The reason why the trigger do not operate as promised is that GODOX is a little inconsistant in the way their different moidels of flashes
manage the modeling lamp (same presses of modeling buttons do not activate the same mode on each of the models of flashes) :

examples :

on the AD600B ...
when the modeling light is OFF
first press on modeling button = modeling on 1/3 of power
second press = 2/3 of power
third press = 3/3 (full power)
next press = light OFF, ready for a next cycle of presses

on the SK400II ...
when the modling light is off
first press = modeling ON in proportional mode
second press = modeling remain ON, but in percentage (in combination with the rotative button to select the wanted percentage)
next press = light OFF, ready for a next cycle of presses

long press = light goes OFF during recharge
next long press = light remain ON during recharge

The godox trigger initiate only the first press (and never the second, third and next presses) ... and so the functions of next presses doesn't
operate.

On the trigger i can well put the modeling light in PROP (proportionnal) or PRCT (percentage) and choice the percentage I want, as described in their notice.
The little screen let this data been seen, but it has no actually effect on the flashes themselves (which only accept, with the trigger, to be ON or OFF)

Perhaps, this PROP/PRCT is only usable with the new godox AD600 PRO or AD400 PRO ?

I have not yet tested bluethooth with a tablet or a smartphone ... which is not very interesting for me

What would be interesting for me, would be the possibility to command the trigger from the screen of my computer when I shoot in tethering mode with Capture One.

There are applications which let ANDROID APP works on WINDOWS ... it's perhaps the way i will try

12-19-2018, 03:11 AM   #197
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BSULMON Quote
It do not actually works like promised :
I'd let Adorama or potentially Elvis from FlashHavoc know.

The Mark II is a Flashpoint-exclusive development and the firmware of collaborating devices permitting, I'd have some hope that Adorama would release a fix to the problems you described.

A trigger really should be capable of doing more than simulating a button press on the strobe, i.e., there should be a radio command for "modeling light = PROP" (not affecting the existing "INTER" vs "CONT" configuration), instead of relying on the modeling light button behaviour of the respective strobe.
12-19-2018, 05:38 AM   #198

In the meantime, I have tested the bluethooth connection with my samsung (android smartphone) and the xpro-n mark II.

First of all, in the notice from adorama, it is said that you have to install "Flashpoint R2" app on your smartphone through google play.

I have not find any "Flaspoint R2" app on google play store.... but I have found a GODOX app...

Once this GODOX app downloaded and installed, you simply have to pair your xpro trigger with your smartphone (it have been immediatly recognized, and I had only to introduce
the default password (which could be modified accordingly to your needs) (default password = 6 times 0 "000000" (0 number, not O letter).

It have worked immediatly with my ad600B (modeling light is only ON/OFF ... not proportional or percentage, but ON/OFF works).

So No "Flashpoint" App but a "Godox" App ... that don't care ... the most important is that it works correctly !

I have tested somme androïd emulator on win 10 in order to see if I could manage the trigger directly from my computer equipped with a bluethooth dongle :

BlueStacks .... refuse to works on my HP_Z620
NOX ........... seems to emulate a too old version of android ... and godox do not works on this 4.0 ANDROID VERSION
MEMU .......... do not works correctly on my HP_Z620

they are other android emulators, but today, download is very low (... to much people on internet which are buying gift for end year ?) and
downloading of some applications fails or takes 20 minutes before crashing ?

So I will try further after 22 hours o'clock.

Droid4x
GenyMotion
WindRoy
KoPlayer

and so on
12-19-2018, 07:09 AM   #199

I have tested on another computer equipped with INTEL Icore computer in order to see if it was eventually the type or processor which would influence -the non working of the emulator.
With Icore7, emulator NOX version 6220 or LeapDroid accept to works, but when I want to use GODOX app on it, these 2 emulators says that GODOX app is not compatible ...
When i look at the "godox app" inofrmations in google store, it is mentionned that it will only works with some smartphone ... so, once again, the information from adorama seems to be not accurate .... if you do not have the right smarphone, you will not be able to use the bluethooth to manage the trigger from your smartphone ...

Here enclosed what "godox app" mention ...

Attached Images

12-19-2018, 09:21 AM   #200

Some research on internet .... and I see now that Flashpoint R2 app is, until now, only available for APPLE (it seems that it's a copy of the Godox application, but in blue in place of orange)

?Flashpoint R2 on the App*Store

Godox releases Android version of their app - Lighting Rumours

So, if you wanted to acquire the mark II model to use it with your android smartphone .... you will perhaps be desappointed !

I think that ADORAMA would notice it clearly in his description of his product ...

I you do not have the right smarphone (one which correspond to the above mentionned series) ... you will not have many advantage over the original trigger (mark I) except for some buttons ....

Apple users have more chance, but it's not my case.
12-20-2018, 01:52 PM   #201

QuoteOriginally posted by inkista Quote
Reports are that it works with the 645Z, so hopefully it also works with the 645D. Non-inclusion in the compatible bodies list only means Godox doesn't have one to test with.

There's a firmware update for the AD200 that lets it be used in HSS and TTL with the Xpro-P.

But the AD360II at this time is not doing TTL or HSS with an Xpro-P and a firmware update has not yet be announced.
Thanks! I hope it does works with the Pentax 645D.

And find it odd that it doesn’t do HSS with the AD360ii. I might sell it and get anothe AD200.

Do we know when the firmware update will release, for the AD200?

Thanks again.
12-20-2018, 08:37 PM - 1 Like   #202
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pablo Villegas Quote
A Pentax-compatible firmware for the AD200 already exists (Version V2.2).
12-21-2018, 05:48 PM - 1 Like   #203
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pablo Villegas Quote
Thanks! I hope it does works with the Pentax 645D.

And find it odd that it doesn’t do HSS with the AD360ii. I might sell it and get anothe AD200.

Thanks again.
As already said, theres a firmware update for the AD200, i have one ad400 and two ad200, they both work with the K1 Mk1

12-21-2018, 10:42 PM   #204
Pentaxian

XPro-P supports more camera models than it says on the tin

Happy to report that the XPro-P works well with the K-1 (as expected), the K-5 II, and the K100D, even though the last two models are not in the official list of compatible cameras. Triggering and HSS works without a hitch with these cameras; I didn't encounter even the hint of a problem.

TTL is a different matter, results weren't always as expected, but I'd have to look into the phenomena a bit more to understand whether one camera model is affected more than another and/or whether the results could be just due to plain old P-TTL quirks. Personally, I won't be bothered either way because I use manual power level control anyway. Potentially the TCM feature could prove to be useful, but I have my doubts that it will work well when multiple flashes are involved.

Overall, the fact that the XPro-P works nicely with the K-5 II and even the K100D corroborates the notion that the published list of compatible cameras is extremely conservative and most likely only indicative of which cameras were explicitly confirmed to be compatible and is not at all to be read as an implicit admission that other models have been found to be incompatible.
12-27-2018, 09:55 AM - 1 Like   #205

Hello:

I finally bought a XPro-P trigger. Mi plan was to wait for the Flashpoint MKII version, but time was passing and I really needed to check how useful could be TTL for me.

INITIAL TESTS WITH K3-II

I did minimal adjustments to my XPro-P: TCM=200j & GROUP=5 (A-E).

Basic tests confirmed that the AD200 can be controlled without issue in Manual or TTL mode. It's not possible to get powersync with the AD200, but I found two workarounds to get it:
1. Use the Cactus V6II and configure the typical settings, POWERSYNC mode, manual flash and 1/1 power.
2. Disable wireless mode on AD200, put a XT16R receiver, disable HSS, set 1/1 power and you're done.
Unfortunately, it seems there is no way to fire the AD200 above sync speed using normal pulses, HSS is enabled automatically.

About the AD360 or V850, no issues, you can get HSS (you have to enable manually) and also you can get powersync without any extra devices.

My initial tests were done indoors, M mode, Sigma 17-50mm lens. AD200 with AD-S7 small octabox. I used a quite 'neutral' grey target.
My first pics showed a good exposure and the exposure was consistent, that is, shot after shot I got the same exposure. Varying light distance or angle didn't affect exposure. Well, this is the reason you want TTL, right?

I found that, in M mode, you can still use the '+/-' camera button to compensate for flash exposure, that is quite useful and faster than using the compentation button on the trigger

If the intended use in TTL mode is for controlling only one flash, then is better to set the trigger with the zoom/loupe enabled, this way is faster to change anything related to the selected flash.

TCM is a great function and will give you an idea about how much power is using the flash. Also you can notice if the flash can't go lower or higher, so you need to put your light nearer or farther.

TTL VS PHOTOMETER. MIXING TTL AND AMBIENT LIGHT. HSS VS NORMAL SYNC

For a standard 'neutral' subject (not too light or dark or contrasty ...) I found that exposure for normal sync speeds, when the flash is the main light, is quite accurate. Measuring and comparing to my photometer I found a 1/3 EV underexposure. Suprisingly, when I use speeds above 1/180 I found near 2/3 overexposure; that is, there is a noticeable difference (near 1EV) by using above or below sync speeds. ¿Anyone noticed the same?

When I use the AD200 outdoors, I normally set a good mix of ambient and flash light for my subject. 30%-50% flash light contribution is a safe mix. With a photometer like the sekonic 358 is easy to get this kind of mix, but TTL is another beast. To get a 50/50 ambient/flash mix, my understanding is that I need to set -1EV for ambient light, then fire and PTTL will just fill up with light to get a correct exposure. If the ambient light contribution is higher, then the PTTL will give less flash light, and so on. I found, looking at TCM values, that the XproP/AD200 works more or less this way.

PRE-FLASH AND TCM AGAIN

I noticed that the AD200's preflash is too powerful. I think the preflash uses about 1/8 power, and that's a lot of power and can be uncomfortable. One way to avoid pre-flash is to get an initial TTL exposure and then push TCM to change to manual mode. I think this is a good idea if your subject is not going to move for a while. TCM will save you battery too.

Av AND P MODES

Av mode works but... the speed if fixed to something as 2 x focal lenght... so then, this is not really an Av mode, isn't it? With 'P' mode I noticed the same behabiour. Not a big issue for me anyway... I only use 'M' mode .

K5 and K10D COMPATIBILITY

The trigger is compatible with my K5, but I need to compensate near -1EV. This issue is the same if a use a real PTTL flash.
Surprisingly I can use the K10D too, but I need to compensate about +1EV.

WHAT I THINK THIS IS TRIGGER GOOD FOR

I think this trigger will be a good adition for my outdoors setups. That is, setups with only one flash where I need to mix flash and ambient light, and do it quickly. As a plus, I can use speeds above 1/180.

Normally, when I'm outdoors doing family portraits, I'm in a hurry, because there are several families waiting, and frecuently one or two leave. I still need to practice, but I think now I'll be able to get a 'good/correct' shot faster. Maybe it will not be 'my' shot, but a valid one. Not as precise as using a photometer, but if you just need a quick shot, you'll get it. I think that -1EV ambient light + fill PTTL flash shoud be a safe/starting setting for this kind of setups. No more angry people waiting outdoors... I hope so .

Regards and... Marry Christmas!
12-27-2018, 02:12 PM   #206
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by morenjavi Quote
TCM is a great function and will give you an idea about how much power is using the flash.
Yes, it is a great function. I haven't be able to gather experience yet how consistently useful the P-TTL-derived manual power levels will be, but it could potentially save one a couple of test shots.

Too bad that it isn't possible to switch back to TTL immediately after having moved to manual control when using the TCM feature.
I feel that, overall, the XPro-P is a pretty decent trigger and we can consider ourselves immensely lucky that Godox adopted us Pentaxians after all. However, there a number of places where the usability could have easily been improved. I have trouble imagining that any working photographer was closely involved when the Xpro was finalised.

Like you, I'm waiting for the Flashpoint R2 Mark II version for Pentax. It promises to be an improvement regarding usability in several areas.

Measuring and comparing to my photometer I found a 1/3 EV underexposure. Suprisingly, when I use speeds above 1/180 I found near 2/3 overexposure; that is, there is a noticeable difference (near 1EV) by using above or below sync speeds. ¿Anyone noticed the same?
I haven't done any measurements yet.
Seems like Godox hasn't quite correctly calibrated the difference in power levels between regular pulses and HSS bursts. Could be fixed in firmware, but I'd be surprised if they decided to address such a relatively small deviation.

I'm wondering, though, whether the difference you observed is constant under all circumstances. In my very early testing, TTL exposures weren't invariant against shutter speeds, for instance. I'll need to investigate further to say something authoritatively, but I can safely say that not all my cameras behaved as I expected with groups in TTL mode. N.B., I made sure that the flash wasn't near its extreme levels, i.e., had a chance to go lower or higher in power level, if needed.

To get a 50/50 ambient/flash mix, my understanding is that I need to set -1EV for ambient light, then fire and PTTL will just fill up with light to get a correct exposure.
Well, it would be nice if Pentax documented their algorithm somewhere. The uncertainty about the actual strategy behind P-TTL exposures is one reason why I never warmed up to it. The other two reasons are of course that manual power level control achieves better predictability and consistency.

One way to avoid pre-flash is to get an initial TTL exposure and then push TCM to change to manual mode.
Yes, I noticed that as well. Very nice move on behalf of Godox to forgo the pre-flash when it isn't needed.

The Cactus RF60X exhibits the same virtue, but when you use any third-party flash on a V6II receiver, there will always be a pre-flash, not matter whether the respective group is in TTL or manual mode. I much prefer the absence of any pre-flashes.
01-09-2019, 09:50 AM   #207

Photos: Gallery
My XPro-P is not firing anything

QuoteOriginally posted by howieb101 Quote
My XPRO-P has arrived and I can confirm that HSS works with the V850 Mk I with XTR16s. For the power levels to work correctly you must set the 850 Mk I to HSS on the flash.

Howie Be
Hi guys,

I just received my XPro-P today. I have V850 (Mark I) with XTR16s and AD200. I bought AD200 and the XTR16s receivers just because I was going to buy XPro-P. I can't fire the flashes or set the power or anything. I updated the firmware of AD200 to the latest version. Still nothing. I'm really frustrated.

BTW, I am using K-5. Please don't break my heart by telling XPro-P isn't compatible with K-5.

Please help guys... I have a photoshoot day after tomorrow....
01-09-2019, 10:49 AM - 2 Likes   #208

QuoteOriginally posted by ddkalu Quote
Hi guys,

I just received my XPro-P today. I have V850 (Mark I) with XTR16s and AD200. I bought AD200 and the XTR16s receivers just because I was going to buy XPro-P. I can't fire the flashes or set the power or anything. I updated the firmware of AD200 to the latest version. Still nothing. I'm really frustrated.

BTW, I am using K-5. Please don't break my heart by telling XPro-P isn't compatible with K-5.

Please help guys... I have a photoshoot day after tomorrow....
Hello ddkalu, I saw your message on my private inbox, anyway I'll answer here too, and let's see if more forums members can help you too.

If you could not fire any flash, then the problem should be on the trigger, but let's check everything.
Please do the following:

1. Power off your AD200, then while pressing the MODE button set it on again. Can you see the text 'U-2.2' ? It's the last firmware.
2. Do basic checkings with the AD200, press the test button and check that AD200 fires. Move the dial and see that the power changes, etc.
3. Put the AD200 in wireless mode. By long-pressing the MODE button you can change between wireless and not wireless mode. In wireless mode you will see a kind of radio symbol of top left on the display, it can appear or dissapear by long-pressing the MODE button. Set wireless mode ON.
4. Using the GR/CH button set channel to 1 and GROUP to [A]

If you can do the above points, your AD200 is working.

Now remove the XProP from camera.
Turn the XProP ON. Press the MENU button and set the following:
GROUP: 5 (A-E) this is for using the TTL mode with the AD200
ID: OFF
TCM: 200j

Now let's get back to the main display by pressing the MENU button again. Press the '+'/TCM button to enter in 'zoom' mode.
Press GROUP A button (top left) to select GROUP A.
Long-press the Zm/CH button and set the channel to '1' (you will see CH 1 on display). Press SET.

Now your XProP should be ready to communicate with the AD200.
Press MODE to change between TTL/M/OFF, you'll see that the AD200 display is changing modes too. Set M mode and turn the trigger's dial to change power values, check that the AD200 display is showing the same values.

Press the SYNC button if you want to allow HSS.
Press the TEST button and check that the AD200 fires, you will see that a small green&red led on the XProP blinks too.

If you did the above, your XProP is working properly.

Now put your XProP on your K5's hotshoe.
Check that you have a speed below 1/180.
Press the K5's fire button, check that the AD200 is firing AND that the small green&red led of the XProP blinks (this means that the camera is sending the triggering signal to the XProP).
Press MODE button and set TTL mode. Fire and check again.
Set a speed above 1/180. Check that AD200 fires.
On my K5 I have to set a -1EV compensation or so for TTL.

Let us know if everything works, and then we'll check the v850 (mine is charging batteries now).

Regards.

Last edited by morenjavi; 01-09-2019 at 10:59 AM.
01-09-2019, 12:04 PM   #209

Photos: Gallery
You're the man Javier

Hello ddkalu, I saw your message on my private inbox, anyway I'll answer here too, and let's see if more forums members can help you too.

If you could not fire any flash, then the problem should be on the trigger, but let's check everything.
Please do the following:

1. Power off your AD200, then while pressing the MODE button set it on again. Can you see the text 'U-2.2' ? It's the last firmware.
2. Do basic checkings with the AD200, press the test button and check that AD200 fires. Move the dial and see that the power changes, etc.
3. Put the AD200 in wireless mode. By long-pressing the MODE button you can change between wireless and not wireless mode. In wireless mode you will see a kind of radio symbol of top left on the display, it can appear or dissapear by long-pressing the MODE button. Set wireless mode ON.
4. Using the GR/CH button set channel to 1 and GROUP to [A]

If you can do the above points, your AD200 is working.

Now remove the XProP from camera.
Turn the XProP ON. Press the MENU button and set the following:
GROUP: 5 (A-E) this is for using the TTL mode with the AD200
ID: OFF
TCM: 200j

Now let's get back to the main display by pressing the MENU button again. Press the '+'/TCM button to enter in 'zoom' mode.
Press GROUP A button (top left) to select GROUP A.
Long-press the Zm/CH button and set the channel to '1' (you will see CH 1 on display). Press SET.

Now your XProP should be ready to communicate with the AD200.
Press MODE to change between TTL/M/OFF, you'll see that the AD200 display is changing modes too. Set M mode and turn the trigger's dial to change power values, check that the AD200 display is showing the same values.

Press the SYNC button if you want to allow HSS.
Press the TEST button and check that the AD200 fires, you will see that a small green&red led on the XProP blinks too.

If you did the above, your XProP is working properly.

Now put your XProP on your K5's hotshoe.
Check that you have a speed below 1/180.
Press the K5's fire button, check that the AD200 is firing AND that the small green&red led of the XProP blinks (this means that the camera is sending the triggering signal to the XProP).
Press MODE button and set TTL mode. Fire and check again.
Set a speed above 1/180. Check that AD200 fires.
On my K5 I have to set a -1EV compensation or so for TTL.

Let us know if everything works, and then we'll check the v850 (mine is charging batteries now).

Regards.
Followed your steps to the letter. Now, everything works like magic. Thank you very much Javier. It is great that you replied to the post on forum too. Hope it helps a few more others too.

Keep up the good work. Cheers!