Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-25-2018, 11:14 PM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by jake14mw Quote
So psyched for this! Ordered one. On the Godox site, it mentions camera bodies supported, and the K-5 is not listed. I hope that is not really an issue.
Noticed that too and my excitement was soon gone. Could you post an update once you get it

08-25-2018, 11:19 PM   #17

Photos: Gallery
I think it doesn't mention K5 as it isnt a current model..
08-26-2018, 12:03 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Things are hotting up for us! It's good to have yet another new choice for strobe/HSS/TTL, and more competition will push things on hopefully.
08-26-2018, 12:38 AM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by stub Quote
I think it doesn't mention K5 as it isnt a current model..
I do hope you are right.

08-26-2018, 01:41 AM   #20
Pentaxian

I'll wait for reviews from forum members, I have no idea when it will be available here.
As others have commented, also my main interest is HSS without stacking. One trigger to rule them all, only one configuration and settings.
In my usual setup, I trigger the XProC with a sync cable, so no HSS or TTL regardless if I use the Pentax or Canon version, but now, I can just put the trigger on my camera's hotshoe and voilą, i get HSS&PTTL.
About PTTL is not so interesting for me but, It should be nice to have more features for 'free' on my AD200, experiment with PTTL, second curtain, etc. There is also an interesting feature on Godox flashes that they call TCM. You put your flash in TTL mode, then trigger one time and push the TCM button, then the TTL mode are changed to Manaual mode with the absolute previous calculated power, so I think this is a way to quickly put a good initial manual setting for your flashes. Of course if your are really in a hurry, you can use the PTTL mode to get the pic.

Time ago I was thinking about selling my AD360 and buy another AD200. Not easy decision, AD360 have more power, but lack in features, portability, recycle time... there is also the nice dual head to put two AD200 and sum power if you need, you have more flexibility, there are so many options possible. Now with the XproP it's more appealing to have two AD200 instead of AD200+AD360.
08-26-2018, 04:46 AM - 1 Like   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'll admit, the two big things that caused me to leave Pentax was lack of premium (yet affordable) lenses and the abysmal flash ecosystem. If this was available a year ago it would have been extremely difficult to leave, as the lenses were out of convenience and want, not need. The flash was the need, and this is huge for K-mount, and makes it a professionally viable system again.

Cactus failed (which I used loyally and for a long while), and is now DOA.

Huge.
08-26-2018, 06:50 AM   #22
Veteran Member

So, is the AD200 the only one that will do PTTL with the new trigger?

08-26-2018, 06:51 AM   #23

This is great news. I'm definitely getting one, if only for HSS without stacking. Sure hope it works on a K-5; if not, I'll have a good excuse to get a K-1.
08-26-2018, 06:58 AM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian

You can see the list of supported flashes here: GODOX PHOTO EQUIPMENT CO.,LTD Xpro-P
200/400/600 series. V860ii series.
Regards.
08-26-2018, 08:05 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by morenjavi Quote
You can see the list of supported flashes here: GODOX PHOTO EQUIPMENT CO.,LTD Xpro-P
200/400/600 series. V860ii series.
Regards.
Unless they bring out a 860II-P (P for Pentax) then the 860II is going to be manual only I think.

It will boost sales of AD200's I guess. The AD200 is a great light though.

The 860 II's are brand specific
08-26-2018, 08:35 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just pre ordered the flashpoint version of xpro . I will have to figure the XPRO C that I just got two weeks ago. This is huge for someone who wants to get into HSS.
08-26-2018, 09:15 AM   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by howieb101 Quote
Unless they bring out a 860II-P (P for Pentax) then the 860II is going to be manual only I think.

It will boost sales of AD200's I guess. The AD200 is a great light though.

The 860 II's are brand specific
I'm guessing the 860ii-P is coming soon, after all, they had just worked out the Pentax software for this X-Pro P

Also, there are several of their wired, studio lights listed as compatible.

Again, this is a massive good new for me, and something that could make other manufacturers take notice and jump wagon.
08-26-2018, 09:36 AM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by howieb101 Quote
Unless they bring out a 860II-P (P for Pentax) then the 860II is going to be manual only I think
I'm afraid you are right. I hope HSS were supported. There isn't any note under the "Compatible flash and camera models" table, but the v860II series seems a pure dedicated system, supporting just only one TTL protocol in wireless mode. A V860II-P should be a kind of RF60x in the Godox land, except a 860II-P could be mounted on camera.
I suppose a new firmware is needed for the AD200.
08-26-2018, 09:42 AM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Gianclaudio Quote
Again, this is a massive good new for me, and something that could make other manufacturers take notice and jump wagon.
What other manufacturers?

Lighting solutions with Pentax-dedication have been offered by PrioLite, Phottix, Cononmark, and Cactus already even before Godox joined.

Metz once announced a Pentax-dedicated trigger as well but the company doesn't seem to be the same anymore since they were saved from bankruptcy. They don't even have the capacity to fix problems in the firmware of their Pentax-dedicated flashes.

Pentax support by Godox had been announced before but this time it very much seems to be real. I look forward to hearing how the Xpro-P behaves on a K-5, K-1, etc.
08-26-2018, 10:22 AM   #30
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Pentax support by Godox had been announced before but this time it very much seems to be real. I look forward to hearing how the Xpro-P behaves on a K-5, K-1, etc.
The supported camera list is fairly limited. I hope this is merely a matter of not having tested against bodies such as the K-3 and K-5.

Steve