Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 94 Likes Search this Thread
10-08-2018, 06:19 AM   #91
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Based on the initial reviews, i believe TTL is not currently supported on the AD200 yet.

QuoteOriginally posted by BSULMON Quote
Hello,
I'm using 645Z camera

I have just received today the XPRO-P trigger i had ordered on aliexpress (it was there that it was only available 3 weeks ago, but it had taken a long time to be delivered in belgium).

In the meantime, i had received one AD200 and one AD600B strobe, which i have could use with xpro-c (canon) and xpro-n (nikon). I have taken the time to upgrade the firmware so that they are in accordance with the latest version (firmware said "adapted for Pentax")

So, AD200 = firmware 2.1
AD600B = firmware 2.6

I have just tested the xpro-P to see how it works ...

- in TTL mode, with AD600B, exposition is correct

- in TTL mode, with AD200, i have always under exposition ...
to have a correct exposition, i'm forced to put +3 EV (correction maximum available ... a supplementary 1/2 EV would perhaps be necessary)

If i use both AD200 and AD600B simutaneously in TTL moçde , exposition is always under exposed !

These are my first impressions in using XPRO-P with GODOX flashes.

10-08-2018, 08:17 AM   #92

I have retested AD200 + nikon D850 + XPRO-N .... correct exposure in TTL mode
I have resteted also AD200 + canon EOS 5D + XPRO-C ... correct exposure in TTL mode
but AD200 + Pentax 645Z + XPRO-P ... underexposure ... but correct exposure if i add a +3 EV correction on the XPRO-P
In the firmware update pages, latest update for AD200 is v2.1 and, indeed, it is effectively not mentinned that the upgrade would put this flash usable with Pentax. Firmware 2.6 for AD600B is indicated with "to adpat to pentax TTL" or something like this.
I have sent a question about this problem to GODOX support ... but i do not think they will answer me.
I had already sent a question about the use of their TCM function which change TTL values in Manual values .... I was thinking that so Godox flashes without TTL (like the studio model SK400 II) would be able to receive the correct information and would works automatically, but it is not the case. I do not understand what could be the interest of using TCM function ?

---------- Post added 10-08-18 at 09:08 AM ----------

I have just read this post which is dated from today .... already an new version of lthe XPRO triggers (but only in USA, and for the ones who have bought an version labelled "flashpoint"

Will the Godox XPro be updated? | Godox Blog

Somwhat frustating to just having received the trigger ... and learning that a new version would appears

---------- Post added 10-08-18 at 09:12 AM ----------

With the XPRO, we can only put the controlling light of the strobe ON or OFF, but with the new version, it would be possible to choose the lighting ratio in 5% increment (I suppose that the strobe will also need a new firmware upgrade).
10-08-2018, 02:19 PM   #93
Pentaxian

Hello,

The 2.1 version for the AD200 was released last year. Support for Pentax cameras didn't existed at that time, so is 99,99% sure it will not support TTL for Pentax.
I've been reading the about FP version of the Xpro trigger and it's simply amazing. It has all the features I miss from the Godox version. It's way better.

The SYNC DELAY feature is a nice adition too. Not sure how it will work on Pentax cameras.
I think I'll wait for the FP version to be available in Pentax flavour. Maybe I'll sell my AD360 and buy another AD200 + AD-B2 double head. I think this set up will be better that my present setup. I have a plan ...

Regards.
10-09-2018, 02:37 AM   #94

1/ Thanks for information ... i had not seen the date of 2.1 update

2/ On Youtube, I've seen a video where it was explained that FLASHPOINT (Godox Strobe sold by ADORAMA) have already modified some other Godox accessories to meet the demand of users :

For example, with the head holder for AD600 which permits to use the AD600 as a flash generator, so that the weight of the head is lowered and could be used on every c-stand whithout danger, they have modified the bag proposed by Godox to hold the AD600. Users have observed that the 2 fixations of the shoulder strap where put on each sides of the bag, but in the middle of the bag.
So, if they don't take care, the bag reverse itself and the AD600 is thrown to the ground with all the damage you can imagine.
ADORAMA has, therefore, proposed the same bag, but with the fixations of the strap pushed on top of the bag, and so is this problem is now resolved .... no more danger that the AD600 fall on the ground.....little modification with great effect. However, GODOX continue to sell his bad bag as intially designed ...

10-09-2018, 12:37 PM   #95
Veteran Member

Does anyone here have recieved any shipping confirmation from BHPhoto/Adorama/Amazon or Ebay Seller? Or recieve their copy (in US)?
10-09-2018, 12:40 PM   #96

QuoteOriginally posted by howieb101 Quote
My XPRO-P has arrived and I can confirm that HSS works with the V850 Mk I with XTR16s. For the power levels to work correctly you must set the 850 Mk I to HSS on the flash.
Thank you! That's really good to hear! Yes, the V850, V860, AD180, and AD360 all have to have HSS turned on on the unit itself.

---------- Post added 10-09-18 at 12:57 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by BSULMON Quote
In the firmware update pages, latest update for AD200 is v2.1 and, indeed, it is effectively not mentioned that the upgrade would put this flash usable with Pentax.
I believe the estimated date (from the "gamechanger" review) for the AD200 and AD360II firmware updates for -P compatibility is mid-November. Still no word on updates for the TT350, V350, TT685, or V860II. BTW, both B&H and Adorama have TT350-P listings up. Good indication that a TT685-P and V860II-P are also in the works. The Adorama one looks like it's shipping(?!), while the B&H one says it's a special order and shipping in 2-4 weeks.

QuoteQuote:
Firmware 2.6 for AD600B is indicated with "to adpat to pentax TTL" or something like this.
At this time, the only updates have been for the AD600M, AD600, and AD600 Pro. The "B" designation just means it has a Bowens mount for modifiers.

QuoteQuote:
... I had already sent a question about the use of their TCM function which change TTL values in Manual values .... I was thinking that so Godox flashes without TTL (like the studio model SK400 II) would be able to receive the correct information and would works automatically, but it is not the case. I do not understand what could be the interest of using TCM function ?
Correct. The TCM function only works with TTL-capable units, because TTL communication is still needed to set the initial power level, and then that power is translated to a manual setting. It's very useful if you don't have a light meter, and need to set the level on your key light in a dynamic workflow, where you still want the freedom to change the aperture, ISO or distance of the light from the subject during setup, but maintain the same flash exposure level. It's much more useful in the Profoto system, though, where TTL ratios are allowed (i.e., you can set your key to fill ratio to 1:4) and TTL is used to set both lights.

QuoteQuote:
Somewhat frustrating to just having received the trigger ... and learning that a new version would appears
OTOH, it's only a $70 trigger, and it could be another year before the version you want arrives (it's always Canon first...) and this is the way of cheap Chinese flash gear. The tech moves at lightning speed. Also, elv at Flashhavoc (the source of that report) has been hinting a more advanced version was in the works since before the XPro was released, because he was giving input for it. Most of us couldn't wait, though.

For me, however, it's not the 5% incremental adjustment that's the headline feature: it's the built-in bluetooth for the app. Hallelujah! The Godox A1 has been annoying the crap out of everyone at holding out the promise of smartapp control over the lights. The nice part will be the ability to save off and reload any lighting setups you use frequently, not to mention using your phone as your in-hand controller. Now let's hope they've whipped that stupid GodoxPhoto app (iOS, android) into shape... so we can actually set/save/restore HSS and TTL settings as well as M power settings.

Not to mention finally getting OSX versions of the firmware updating software. Oh, and they added sync delay adjustment and flipped the mode order from TTL->M->OFF to M->TTL->OFF. Yes!!! Wow, they've fixed nearly all of the main complaints about the Xpro. And most of those complaints were gracenote issues.

Last edited by inkista; 10-16-2018 at 12:26 PM.
10-10-2018, 02:43 AM   #97

I have just received the extension head H600B for the AD600B (which is the TTL version with Bowens Mount ... the AD600BM is the manual version - wihtout TTL in Bowens mount version) with his carrying bag
I observe that this bag has also been adapted so that the fixatures are now on top of the bag so that it could no more reverse itself ... as the update made by flashpoint in the video i mentionned yesterday.
So, the first who buy receive the first made product ... it's better to wait ... so you receive the upgraded model.

10-10-2018, 05:46 AM   #98
Veteran Member

FLASHPOINT R2 PRO Mark II Transmitter – Released! | FLASH HAVOC

An upgrade is coming out for the same price! Now the question is for those who preordered, what should we do? Cancel? I wonder if Godox will even put out the version we ordered, or just give us the new one instead?
10-10-2018, 06:50 AM   #99
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jake14mw Quote
An upgrade is coming out for the same price! Now the question is for those who preordered, what should we do? Cancel? I wonder if Godox will even put out the version we ordered, or just give us the new one instead?
In my case, as I'm not in a hurry, I'll wait for the FP version. The SYNC DELAY feature and other new funcions, quicker operation... It's by far a better trigger.
Another option is to buy a (just released) TT350P, you have a trigger and a flash in the same package.
10-10-2018, 09:11 AM   #100
Pentaxian

I'm excited about the Flashpoint R2 PRO Mark II.

As Elvis from FlashHavoc noted, the original design proposal of the XPro was very close to what the Flashpoint R2 PRO Mark II looks like but somehow Godox "knew better". If only companies would (better) listen to what real photographers want.
10-10-2018, 11:16 AM   #101
Veteran Member

Could be me, but I don't see that much in the new design that makes it better. I haven't examined it very closely yet though. I wish I knew how much longer it will be until the Mark ii is out. I wonder if Flashpoint will even release the Mark i in Pentax at this point?
10-10-2018, 11:51 AM - 1 Like   #102
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Could be me, but I don't see that much in the new design that makes it better. I haven't examined it very closely yet though. I wish I knew how much longer it will be until the Mark ii is out. I wonder if Flashpoint will even release the Mark i in Pentax at this point?
I had a chat with the Adorama customer service and at this point, they dont have an ETA on either of the products.
10-10-2018, 02:09 PM   #103
Pentaxian

Could be me, but I don't see that much in the new design that makes it better.
There is quite a bit to like. Just from the top of my head so for sure not an exhaustive list:
  • Quick access to a lot of functionality, instead of menu diving.
  • Group selection buttons very close to the dial, supporting very quick single thumb operation, instead of using vertically placed group buttons that do not really align with the group rows on the screen.
  • Some functions become more accessible, requiring only a single press instead of a long-press or multiple presses.
  • Built-in Bluetooth, supporting smart phones.
  • Full modelling light control.
The plethora of buttons looks weird at first, but I'm convinced this version will have much better usability in practice.
10-11-2018, 09:47 AM   #104
Pentaxian

Hello,

This is a request for any of you who have the new XProP yet. Could you check the frame rate with the trigger? Can you reach the maximum camera frame rate?

Thanks in advance.
10-11-2018, 12:02 PM   #105

They have a pre-order listing for it. Don't think they'd be taking money if they weren't planning to sell it. Back in the day, the X1T-P listing was a "pre-release" one without any purchase capability (it disappeared instead of becoming a pre-order listing).

The changes between the Mk I and Mk II are mostly gracenote fixes, but the sheer number of them pretty much means the Mk II is going to have a better, more refined UI. I don't think it'll be as big a leap up in usability, though, as between the X1T and the XPro. Gotta remember to comment on Flash Havoc to ask elv if the Mk II has single-pin mode (another "missing" feature the X1T has that the XPro I doesn't).

To me, the one feature that the Pro trigger still would need to make that TCM button really useful is TTL group ratio settings, but whether that's even possible if you're mixing different types of lights (speedlight/studio strobes, bare bulb) without specifying which group is which type becomes an issue. Right now the XPro only lets you set one model as the basis for TCM.