Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 94 Likes Search this Thread
10-24-2018, 08:42 AM   #121
Pentaxian

Thanks for the updates too. It's great to see more flash companies supporting Pentax.
I saw the flashpoint mark II version of this trigger and I'm still deciding whether to buy the Godox version now or to wait for the FP version.

Regards.

10-24-2018, 09:15 AM   #122
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by morenjavi Quote
Thanks for the updates too. It's great to see more flash companies supporting Pentax.
I saw the flashpoint mark II version of this trigger and I'm still deciding whether to buy the Godox version now or to wait for the FP version.

Regards.
Adorama will give you full warranty and customer support versus Godox at best limited support.
10-24-2018, 01:56 PM   #123

QuoteOriginally posted by jake14mw Quote
... want to confirm:
1) AD200, AD400, AD600 models that support TTL at all will support PTTL with a firmware update that is available now.
AD200, AD600M, AD600, and AD600 Pro, yes. AD400 Pro apparently works this way out of the box without requiring a firmware update.

QuoteQuote:
2) For speedlights, there is no Pentax specific model, but the other branded ones that support TTL will support PTTL with a firmware update available now.
No. Only the V860II. The TT685 has not yet received a firmware update for this. The TT350 and V350 are likely never to do this (the 350 mini speedlight models aren't built to do the cross-brand TTL), and the TT600 and V850II are single-pin manual only, are brand-agnostic, can never do TTL or be firmware updated, and already do remote power control and HSS from an XPro-P.

QuoteQuote:
3) There has been no announcement that a Pentax specific speedlight is coming out?
So far, the only announced TTL speedlight model is the TT350-P mini speedlight. But it should be followed up with TT685-P, V860II-P and V350-P releases, if the pattern follows the Sony/Fuji/MFT rollouts. It took about three months for all the Fuji/MFT releases, about a year for the Sony ones. We have no idea how the new rumored round-head li-on speedlight is going to work into all this (btw, Jinbei's also making a Profoto A1 lookalike, so this may be a trend).

QuoteQuote:
4) All of the Godox flashes that support HSS will do HSS with the XPro-P transmitter without any firmware update
No. From this review, it looks like the AD360II is not doing HSS with Pentax at this time. The review mentioned the AD200 and TT600 are doing HSS without a firmware update. And someone upthread did mention that the XTR16 (USB-A add-on) receiver and AD360 (Mark I) is giving HSS, though. So the AD360II may be the only exception, but nobody's mentioned the QT600II AC studio strobe.

---------- Post added 10-24-18 at 02:00 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bladerunner6 Quote
Adorama will give you full warranty and customer support versus Godox at best limited support.
B&H has similar support for the Godox units they sell.

Last edited by inkista; 10-24-2018 at 02:06 PM.
10-24-2018, 03:31 PM   #124
Pentaxian

1) AD200, AD400, AD600 models that support TTL at all will support PTTL with a firmware update that is available now.
Yes. There is no AD400 but I'm assuming you mean the AD400PRO and AD600PRO.
Even the older AD600 now has Pentax support, though.

2) For speedlights, there is no Pentax specific model, but the other branded ones that support TTL will support PTTL with a firmware update available now.
The speedlights won't work on the camera's hot-shoe even after firmware updates. However, they (those with an updated firmware for Pentax) will support P-TTL as off-camera flashes when used in conjunction with the XPro-P trigger.

3) There has been no announcement that a Pentax specific speedlight is coming out?
Not to my knowledge, but I'm not an insider.

4) All of the Godox flashes that support HSS will do HSS with the XPro-P transmitter without any firmware update
No. For instance, the AD360II does not support HSS with the XPro-P.

Personally, I'll wait till the Flashpoint R2 Pro Mark II will become available for Pentax. It is very similar to the XPro-P but features better ergonomics. It looks confusing at first, but once you look at it for a minute, you'll realise that it will support much quicker operation than the Godox-designed XPro model.

EDIT: Posted this without seeing that there were answers already...

10-24-2018, 07:00 PM   #125
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Got my Xpro-P today. Without the firmware upgrade on my Flashpoint Evolve 200 and my AD200, there was no joy in P-TTL land. Under exposure was extreme. With the upgrades, they work just fine. I haven’t shot more than walls or tried at wide aperture where earlier firmware had problems on my Sony cameras, but so far this looks terrific. Being able to use my K1 alongside my A7III with the same light setup solves a big problem I had on locations where the portability of the Godox lights was essential.
10-24-2018, 08:29 PM - 1 Like   #126
Veteran Member

Thanks Class A and inkista for your replies!
10-24-2018, 10:35 PM - 2 Likes   #127

XPRO P AD200(with new firmware) K-3 TTL work HSS work
XPRO P AD200(with new firmware) K-3 manual HSS work
XPRO P AD200(with new firmware) K20D TTL work HSS work
XPRO P AD200(with new firmware) K20D manual HSS work
XPRO P AD200(with new firmware) K10D TTL work HSS work
XPRO P AD200(with new firmware) K10D manual HSS work

10-24-2018, 11:34 PM - 1 Like   #128
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mactrash Quote
XPRO P AD200(with new firmware) K-3 TTL work HSS work
XPRO P AD200(with new firmware) K-3 manual HSS work
XPRO P AD200(with new firmware) K20D TTL work HSS work
XPRO P AD200(with new firmware) K20D manual HSS work
XPRO P AD200(with new firmware) K10D TTL work HSS work
XPRO P AD200(with new firmware) K10D manual HSS work
Thanks mactrash. Some Pentaxians with older cameras will appreciate your testing.

Howie Be
10-25-2018, 01:38 AM - 3 Likes   #129
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I can also confirm that K7, K5 and K5IIs also all work with HSS, TTL and of course manual with Xpro-p and ad200 with new firmware.

Glenn
10-25-2018, 04:11 AM   #130

QuoteOriginally posted by G and T Quote
I can also confirm that K7, K5 and K5IIs also all work with HSS, TTL and of course manual with Xpro-p and ad200 with new firmware.

Glenn
Thanks Glenn, been waiting to hear that it works on the K5....will place and order and may ever lash out on a AD200
10-25-2018, 06:07 AM   #131
Veteran Member

There is one so far:
Godox TT350P
10-25-2018, 06:34 AM   #132

Forgive me if I ask a question that has already been answered but I get lost with the large number of comments from this thread.
Imagine this scenario:
* Godox XPRO-P on the Pentax KP, configured to shoot at P-TTL.
* Godox V860II, for Canon or Nikon, illuminating the scene.
And now the question:
Does the Godox V860II receive the correct TTL information from the XPRO-P and will it make good lighting?
I fully understand that if the flash was the Godox TT350P it would all be ok because it is a dedicated Pentax TTL flash, but in the case of the V860II, being a dedicated flash NO Pentax, I have many doubts.
Thanks!
10-25-2018, 06:56 AM   #133
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jolepo Quote
Does the Godox V860II receive the correct TTL information from the XPRO-P and will it make good lighting?
I fully understand that if the flash was the Godox TT350P it would all be ok because it is a dedicated Pentax TTL flash, but in the case of the V860II, being a dedicated flash NO Pentax, I have many doubts.
Here is my understanding. If you update the firmware of the 860 II to that now supporting Pentax these flashes will work in PTTL if used with the XPRO-P. However, if the 860 II (N, C,F, versions, etc) mounted direct on a Pentax camera even with the updated firmware they will be manual flashes
10-25-2018, 07:18 AM   #134

Very well, now I understand it! Thanks
10-25-2018, 11:54 AM - 2 Likes   #135
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Personally, I'll wait till the Flashpoint R2 Pro Mark II will become available for Pentax. It is very similar to the XPro-P but features better ergonomics. It looks confusing at first, but once you look at it for a minute, you'll realise that it will support much quicker operation than the Godox-designed XPro model.
I agree. Turning group ON/OFF is a bit slow on the Godox version. You have to press channel button + mode button. A double-press or a long press is better and quicker. One interesting funtion is DELAY SYNC, that will allow you to sync with your flash above normal sync speed, using normal pulses. Not so flexible and convenient as HSS, but good to have for free.
I did some experiments not a long ago with this kind of sync (using the cactus v6 II POWER SYNC mode and XproC) and found that you can get easily a stop above the normal sync speed, using normal pulses. Can be good in situations where you need to squeeze all the possible power from your flash. I used this 'trick' in a recent pic to 'gain' a stop of light when had to fight agains the sun.

This image can show you what I'm talking about:

Notice that I'm synching starting from my 'usual max sync speed' (1/160) up to 1/500. My remote flash is the AD200, maybe at 1/8 power or so (that is, not 1/1 power used in 'pure hypersync/powersync'). Up to 1/320 is perfectly usable, then it's up to you. Notice also that the bottom dark area is not really black, but ambient light. You see it black because ambient light was really low when I took the pics.
The flash contribution is the same in the six frames and does not depend on the speed, because I'm not using HSS, but normal pulses, so you can play with speed to control ambient, exactly as you do at normal sync speeds... but a bit more, 'to your taste'.
I made such experiments inspired by a post of David Hobby on the strobist site (Strobist: SLC-2L-02: Two-Speedlight Daylight Group Shot) where he exceeds the sync of its X100F camera 'just a little'.
I'm afraid the above can't be done with the Godox version alone. And I'm not sure if you can do hypersync/Powersync either.

Regards.