Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2018, 05:48 AM   #181
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
I just tried this with the XProP on my K-3, controlling the TT350P. 3-step bracketing worked fine (once I waited for the flash to recycle before the next shot) in both P mode and Av mode. I also tried it with the TT350P on camera and it also worked fine.

The only thing I can think of to explain your issue is this. Say you set the aperture to f5.6 and the ISO to 400 (fixed not floating). To get the variation in the bracketed exposures the camera would need to adjust the shutter speed. Would it be unable to bracket properly if each shot were bumping against the maximum sync speed (1/180th or 1/160th depending on the EV steps setting)? Seems a long bow, but that's all I can think of.

Try bracketing in another camera mode (e.g P)?
thanks for responding. maybe I didn’t explain properly. the problem is happening with the XPro-P being turned on but the AD-200 is powered off. my workflow starts with a bracketed series of 5 (ambient only) images. no flash involved. I’ve tried this using other camera modes and other EV steps, but i can only achieve ambient only bracketing exposure by having to first power down the XPro-P.

12-04-2018, 01:24 PM   #182
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ckeene Quote
thanks for responding. maybe I didn’t explain properly. the problem is happening with the XPro-P being turned on but the AD-200 is powered off. my workflow starts with a bracketed series of 5 (ambient only) images. no flash involved. I’ve tried this using other camera modes and other EV steps, but i can only achieve ambient only bracketing exposure by having to first power down the XPro-P.
OK, I misunderstood. I just tried bracketing with the K-3 in Av mode with the XProP mounted and switched on, but no sync'd flash. Yes, it behaved as you described: same shutter speed, same ISO, same exposure for each shot.The info screen displays the exposure corrections in the various increments, but the exposure was identical. I tried in P mode as well, with floating ISO, and the result was the same. What I infer is that the camera thinks that a flash will be fired and that variations in the flash output will provide the bracketing increments.

Is it a problem just to switch off the XProP when doing ambient only bracketing?
12-04-2018, 04:39 PM - 2 Likes   #183
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

...the problem is happening with the XPro-P being turned on but the AD-200 is powered off. my workflow starts with a bracketed series of 5 (ambient only) images. no flash involved.
The XPro-P emulates a flash to the camera, so that might be a key. I don't own an XPro-P, but was able to try your case for a couple of scenarios using stuff I do own. Basic set-up was: P mode, 5-point bracket, fixed ISO (200) each exposure done singly with flash ready.
  1. Pentax AF280T flash (analog dedication/TTL protocol) in auto-thyristor mode : Able to replicate (same camera settings for all five exposures) with flash firing for all five. EC indicated on review, but not done. Flash ready indicated in viewfinder. Flash EC icon lit in viewfinder
  2. Pentax AF280T flash (analog protocol) in M mode :Bracketing done through camera settings as expected with flash firing on all five. Flash ready not indicated in viewfinder. Flash EC icon not lit in viewfinder
  3. Sigma EF-610 DG Super (digital protocol) in P-TTL mode : Bracketing accomplished through flash EC with camera settings remaining the same for all five
  4. Sigma EF-610 DG Super (digital protocol) in M mode : Bracketing done through camera settings with flash firing for all five. Flash ready indicated in viewfinder. Flash EC icon not lit in viewfinder
The important cases are numbers one and two with the Pentax flash. The cases with the Sigma flash were as expected. Note that for case one, the camera is set to do flash EC on a flash that does not support that feature, with the result that the shutter speed and aperture were held constant for all bracket points.

The reason why I tested against the AF280T flash is because the K-3 and other Pentax dSLRs offer partial support for the analog flash dedication protocol as signaled through the "ready", and "mode" contacts only. Information signaled includes: "flash ready", "flash mode", "exposure good", and "use this aperture"; in response the K-3 may limit shutter speed to X-sync or below, display flash ready or exposure good, and may also set aperture according to the flash's suggestion. How exactly this translates on the K-3 depends on exposure mode and the mode selected on the flash. See my review on the AF280T if wanting to know more LINK.

The short story is that I believe that the XPro-P may be doing at least partial Pentax analog protocol emulation such that the camera detects a flash that it "thinks" it can send flash EC directives to. Such would be a corner-case bug in the XPro-P emulation of fairly minor importance.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 12-04-2018 at 04:49 PM.
12-04-2018, 05:22 PM   #184
Forum Member

OK, I misunderstood. I just tried bracketing with the K-3 in Av mode with the XProP mounted and switched on, but no sync'd flash. Yes, it behaved as you described: same shutter speed, same ISO, same exposure for each shot.The info screen displays the exposure corrections in the various increments, but the exposure was identical. I tried in P mode as well, with floating ISO, and the result was the same. What I infer is that the camera thinks that a flash will be fired and that variations in the flash output will provide the bracketing increments.

Is it a problem just to switch off the XProP when doing ambient only bracketing?
Glad to know it’s not just my equipment.

Eliminating steps in my workflow while keeping my hands off the camera as much as possible is paramount. Thanks again!

---------- Post added 12-04-18 at 06:47 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The XPro-P emulates a flash to the camera, so that might be a key. I don't own an XPro-P, but was able to try your case for a couple of scenarios using stuff I do own. Basic set-up was: P mode, 5-point bracket, fixed ISO (200) each exposure done singly with flash ready.
  1. Pentax AF280T flash (analog dedication/TTL protocol) in auto-thyristor mode : Able to replicate (same camera settings for all five exposures) with flash firing for all five. EC indicated on review, but not done. Flash ready indicated in viewfinder. Flash EC icon lit in viewfinder
  2. Pentax AF280T flash (analog protocol) in M mode :Bracketing done through camera settings as expected with flash firing on all five. Flash ready not indicated in viewfinder. Flash EC icon not lit in viewfinder
  3. Sigma EF-610 DG Super (digital protocol) in P-TTL mode : Bracketing accomplished through flash EC with camera settings remaining the same for all five
  4. Sigma EF-610 DG Super (digital protocol) in M mode : Bracketing done through camera settings with flash firing for all five. Flash ready indicated in viewfinder. Flash EC icon not lit in viewfinder
The important cases are numbers one and two with the Pentax flash. The cases with the Sigma flash were as expected. Note that for case one, the camera is set to do flash EC on a flash that does not support that feature, with the result that the shutter speed and aperture were held constant for all bracket points.

The reason why I tested against the AF280T flash is because the K-3 and other Pentax dSLRs offer partial support for the analog flash dedication protocol as signaled through the "ready", and "mode" contacts only. Information signaled includes: "flash ready", "flash mode", "exposure good", and "use this aperture"; in response the K-3 may limit shutter speed to X-sync or below, display flash ready or exposure good, and may also set aperture according to the flash's suggestion. How exactly this translates on the K-3 depends on exposure mode and the mode selected on the flash. See my review on the AF280T if wanting to know more LINK.

The short story is that I believe that the XPro-P may be doing at least partial Pentax analog protocol emulation such that the camera detects a flash that it "thinks" it can send flash EC directives to. Such would be a corner-case bug in the XPro-P emulation of fairly minor importance.

Steve
Steve, thanks for replying and for the in depth testing. Even though I’m not sure I understand how your scenarios are in accordance with my issue you do close with some helpful insight.

I was accustom to using Phottix triggers w/ Yongnuo flashes and I never had this problem. Sadly, the XPro trigger, while useful in my work, is, in the end, causing me more work and forces me to put my hands on the camera more times during the course of a shoot than I prefer.

Last edited by ckeene; 12-04-2018 at 05:48 PM.
12-04-2018, 05:59 PM   #185
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Steve, thanks for replying and for the in depth testing. Even though I’m not sure I understand how your scenarios are in accordance with my issue you do close with some helpful insight.

I was accustom to using Phottix triggers w/ Yongnuo flashes and I never had this problem. Sadly, the XPro trigger, while useful in my work, is, in the end, causing me more work and forces me to put my hands on the camera more times during the course of a shoot than I prefer.
Sorry for diving too deep. Because the XPro-P TX tricks the camera into thinking the TX is an on-camera P-TTL flash, it is good to keep it turned off in the same manner as a flash until actually putting it to use. One might expect issues with EC as well as bracketing if left on during normal shooting.

Steve
12-15-2018, 08:24 PM   #186

Will this work with Pentax 645D? And Godox AD200 and AD360ii?

I only need it for HSS without using two triggers in the hotshoe, like with the Cactus V6ii.

Thanks!
12-15-2018, 09:06 PM - 2 Likes   #187

QuoteOriginally posted by Pablo Villegas Quote
Will this work with Pentax 645D? And Godox AD200 and AD360ii?

I only need it for HSS without using two triggers in the hotshoe, like with the Cactus V6ii.
Reports are that it works with the 645Z, so hopefully it also works with the 645D. Non-inclusion in the compatible bodies list only means Godox doesn't have one to test with.

There's a firmware update for the AD200 that lets it be used in HSS and TTL with the Xpro-P.

But the AD360II at this time is not doing TTL or HSS with an Xpro-P and a firmware update has not yet be announced.

12-16-2018, 03:36 PM   #188
Veteran Member

So far loving that I purchased the trigger and Xplor 600TTL seem to work great
12-17-2018, 01:30 AM   #189

I had pre-ordered the upgraded version of the xpro-N trigger some months ago. This week, ADORAMA let me know that the upgraded version is now available and that i will receive it soon ... parcel on the way).
I you look at their site, you will see that the upgraded versions of the xpro triggers (made by adorama for this rebranded godox flashes :Flashpoint) are now IN STOCK for Canon Nikon and Sony, on pre-order for Fuji and panasonic.... but are however not yet announced pour Pentax .

https://www.adorama.com/l/Lighting-and-Studio/Flashes-and-Slaves/Flashpoint~...nd-Accessories
12-17-2018, 03:04 AM   #190

The appearence of all the versions of the xpro godox trigger seems to be identical ...
It seems that there is only the name indicated on the trigger that is different (xpro-N or xpro-C or xpro-P) ...
inside it is probably the same electronics which is present ?
So, I ask myself if we could update the firmware of a xpro-n (for instance) with the firmware of the xpro-P ... and get a xpro-p trigger usable ?

if i do not work, and if we can't re-install the initial firmware ... we loose 69 $

It is probably only to try if you change your camera from one brand to another brand ... (if you change from NIKON to PENTAX for instance ... the
XPRO-N would no more be of use ... so it would be worth to try ) ?
12-17-2018, 05:15 AM - 1 Like   #191

Version II received just now ...

see picture enclosed

a little larger than the mark I
Buttons are also larger
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
E-10  Photo 
12-17-2018, 06:24 AM   #192
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BSULMON Quote
I you look at their site, you will see that the upgraded versions of the xpro triggers (made by adorama for this rebranded godox flashes :Flashpoint) are now IN STOCK for Canon Nikon and Sony, on pre-order for Fuji and panasonic.... but are however not yet announced pour Pentax .
A Pentax version of the Flashpoint R2 XPro Mark II trigger is planned but there is no ETA yet.
12-17-2018, 06:26 AM   #193
Pentaxian

So, I ask myself if we could update the firmware of a xpro-n (for instance) with the firmware of the xpro-P ... and get a xpro-p trigger usable ?
The trigger variants use dedicated hot-shoe connectors, so even if you could update a trigger with the "wrong" firmware, there would be a hardware incompatibility.

The Cactus V6(II) uses a multi-brand hot-shoe that works for a host of brands (basically everything but Sony) but Godox decided to have brand-specific hot-shoe connectors.
12-17-2018, 06:29 AM   #194
Pentaxian

a little larger than the mark I
Buttons are also larger
Thanks for sharing.

At the very first glimpse, the Mark II version appeared a bit overladen and featuring a somewhat random button layout but after looking at it a bit closer, I came to the conclusion that I prefer this design over the original Godox design. Should be quicker to operate and the built-in Bluetooth support is also very nice.
12-17-2018, 03:18 PM   #195

The appearence of all the versions of the xpro godox trigger seems to be identical ...
It seems that there is only the name indicated on the trigger that is different (xpro-N or xpro-C or xpro-P) ...
inside it is probably the same electronics which is present ?

if i do not work, and if we can't re-install the initial firmware ... we loose 69 $
Don't do it. It won't work, and you'll brick the device.

Firmware is very closely tied to hardware. And if you flip all the XPro transmitters over and look at their feet, you'll note they have different pin layouts—to match the camera brand's hotshoe contacts. The differences are in BOTH hardware and software.

QuoteQuote:
It is probably only to try if you change your camera from one brand to another brand ... (if you change from NIKON to PENTAX for instance ... the XPRO-N would no more be of use ... so it would be worth to try ) ?
Nope. Better to sell to fund the new stuff. However, if you continue to shoot Nikon AND Pentax, it's very handy to be able to use the same lights from both platforms. I use a TT685-C as my off-camera slave to my 5DMkII, X100T, and GX7 using the Godox XPro-C/-F/-O transmitters.