Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-31-2020, 08:12 AM   #271
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm very happy with this system so far. Hope I'll get more opportunities to use them as well.

07-31-2020, 09:16 AM   #272
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pablo Villegas Quote
It’s a shame that I can use the Cactus V6II with HSS on the AD360II, but not Godox own model.
That's because Godox don't offer a Pentax-dedicated version of their X1R receivers while the Cactus V6II is multi-brand compatible.
Of course Godox could in principle also offer a firmware update for the AD360II but maybe it is considered too old a model to support or it doesn't have the hardware to feature a larger firmware version.

Overall, I'm glad that Godox/Flashpoint offer Pentax support, despite a few limitations. Other options aren't that attractive if one wants more power than a Cactus RF60x can deliver. One can achieve quite a bit with a pair of Cactus RF60x on a bracket, but then already the AD200 is even more powerful and does it in one package and one battery (instead of eight), plus offers the bare-bulb vs Fresnel vs round head options.

I’ll get a X2T-P eventually, when I’ll get an AD300 Pro.
Have you considered the Flashpoint R2 Pro Mark II?
It is 100% compatible but has the best usability/functionality of all three triggers.
It is a bit bulkier than the X2T-P though and angles slightly up which you may not like.
07-31-2020, 08:57 PM   #273

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
That's because Godox don't offer a Pentax-dedicated version of their X1R receivers while the Cactus V6II is multi-brand compatible.
Of course Godox could in principle also offer a firmware update for the AD360II but maybe it is considered too old a model to support or it doesn't have the hardware to feature a larger firmware version.

Overall, I'm glad that Godox/Flashpoint offer Pentax support, despite a few limitations. Other options aren't that attractive if one wants more power than a Cactus RF60x can deliver. One can achieve quite a bit with a pair of Cactus RF60x on a bracket, but then already the AD200 is even more powerful and does it in one package and one battery (instead of eight), plus offers the bare-bulb vs Fresnel vs round head options.

Have you considered the Flashpoint R2 Pro Mark II?
It is 100% compatible but has the best usability/functionality of all three triggers.
It is a bit bulkier than the X2T-P though and angles slightly up which you may not like.
Thanks! They don’t sell the flashpoint in my country. And I would have to pay extra for shipping and taxes to get it.

I do have the AD200, but with HSS in daylight sometimes is not enough power. That’s why I want to get an AD300.
08-01-2020, 04:07 AM - 1 Like   #274
Pentaxian

I do have the AD200, but with HSS in daylight sometimes is not enough power. That’s why I want to get an AD300.
The AD300 will give you less than .6 stops more light.

I'd consider the AD400 which would also give you a bit more straightforward access to Bowens mount light modifiers. However, if portability is a priority for you and the modest amount of extra power the AD300 offers is sufficient for your purposes then of course the AD300 is probably the better choice.

08-01-2020, 10:41 AM   #275
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Unfortunately, you cannot (with this "for Pentax" version).

The "for Nikon" version supports second-curtain sync.
Your info may be incorrect or perhaps I am misunderstanding the specs of the XPRO-P, second curtain sync is available according to the specs at B&H Photo!

"Using the 2.4 GHz Godox X wireless radio system, the XProP TTL Wireless Flash Trigger can be used to effectively and reliably trigger flashes from up to 328' away, and when used with compatible flashes and receivers users will have the added benefit of remote power control. This model is compatible with Pentax's TTL system, including support for high-speed sync up to 1/8000 second, and offers advanced control options along with settings for working with system-specific features. For ensuring maximum reliability and control, users can set up 16 groups on one of 32 channels and can then access 99 wireless ID settings for limiting interference from other nearby systems.

In addition to basic manual and TTL control modes, other settings are available, including stroboscopic flash and second-curtain sync. Users can adjust flash exposure compensation from -3 to +3 EV as well as wirelessly control the modeling light, zoom setting, and more. For using the XProP with other camera systems there is a 2.5mm sync port that supports triggering via a wired connection. Also, a USB Type-C port is present for firmware updates and the devices run on two AA batteries for convenience."

The above text is from B&H Photo web site!

Last edited by SharkyCA; 08-01-2020 at 10:54 AM.
08-01-2020, 01:02 PM   #276
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SharkyCA Quote
Your info may be incorrect or perhaps I am misunderstanding the specs of the XPRO-P, second curtain sync is available according to the specs at B&H Photo!
Unfortunately I can confirm Class A's information: the XproP doesn't support rear-curtain sync. The only Pentax compatible-Godox device I know that supports rear sync is the V1P flash, but it doesn's support rear sync when it's used as a flash controller, so I'm afraid you have no options to get rear-curtain on remote flashes in Godox world. Maybe B&H is talking about features of Nikon or Canon 'flavours'.

You can play with flash delay timimngs (AD200 and maybe others) and get something similar to a second-curtain sync, but it's a bit cumbersome and not practical method.

Regards.
08-01-2020, 01:07 PM - 1 Like   #277
Pentaxian

The above text is from B&H Photo web site!
They should correct it then because it simply isn't possible to select second-curtain sync on the XPro-P.

I own the device and I think its inability to select second-curtain sync trumps what the text states.

08-01-2020, 08:50 PM   #278

The AD300 will give you less than .6 stops more light.

I'd consider the AD400 which would also give you a bit more straightforward access to Bowens mount light modifiers. However, if portability is a priority for you and the modest amount of extra power the AD300 offers is sufficient for your purposes then of course the AD300 is probably the better choice.
Yeah, for portability I would prefer the AD300, I know it’s only a little more light than the 200. But with HSS and Pentax lenses, you need as much light as you can get.
I just made some tests and I can use the AD200 and the AD360ii with HSS and the Pentax 645D using the Cactus V6ii and a Canon X1T trigger on top of it. But it’s very buggy, it works then it stops working. I hope the X2T-P I ordered is better, but it’s going to take a long time to get here, about 3 weeks.

I just bought a new lens for the 645, the FA 120mm 4 Macro, and I’m trying to start using my camera more. Haven’t used it in almost two years. I want to buy a 645Z, since I find the D very slow to work with and not as reliable, the only work I get I shoot it with a Sony A7RIII. But I’m trying to incorporate the D to at least location portrait work, but that would involve strobes and sometimes HSS. That’s why I need to find a reliable solution, I have no problem with the Sony and HSS.

Thanks for the info!
08-05-2020, 08:47 PM   #279
Pentaxian

They should correct it then because it simply isn't possible to select second-curtain sync on the XPro-P.

I own the device and I think its inability to select second-curtain sync trumps what the text states.
yes they should because it does not!!

cactus v6ii does but fires twice.....reckon it's both curtains......don't think it's been fixed via FW yet or more likely never......kinda no big deal on 1 second or longer exposures which the lens can be covered for the first flash......
08-07-2020, 08:37 AM   #280
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by morenjavi Quote
Unfortunately I can confirm Class A's information: the XproP doesn't support rear-curtain sync. The only Pentax compatible-Godox device I know that supports rear sync is the V1P flash, but it doesn's support rear sync when it's used as a flash controller, so I'm afraid you have no options to get rear-curtain on remote flashes in Godox world. Maybe B&H is talking about features of Nikon or Canon 'flavours'.

You can play with flash delay timimngs (AD200 and maybe others) and get something similar to a second-curtain sync, but it's a bit cumbersome and not practical method.

Regards.

Perhaps my novice ability has me confused but here is a video which also explains the second curtain function (set up in camera for Pentax) Strobepro is a seller in Canada of Godox!

Some of the flash nuances are covered in greater detail in Nigel McGregor's article on the PentaxForums here is an excerpt from that article about the K-70. PentaxForums article link
Attached Images

Last edited by SharkyCA; 08-07-2020 at 09:01 AM.
08-07-2020, 10:34 AM - 2 Likes   #281
Pentaxian

Perhaps my novice ability has me confused but here is a video which also explains the second curtain function (set up in camera for Pentax) Strobepro is a seller in Canada of Godox!
Hello SharkyCA and thanks for the video.

Notice that the guy on the video is using a Canon version of the XPro, that has second curtain sync. Also he uses a Canon camera. The problem is that, the Pentax version doesn't have such feature.
I have XproC and XProP Godox Triggers, that is, Xpro for Canon and Pentax cameras so I can check differences. On XProC, by pressing the SYNC button, you get: normal sync - HSS - second curtain sync. But, on XproP (Pentax version) you can only get: normal sync - HSS.

No matter what camera you use or what flash mode you choose, you can't sync second curtain on Pentax.

Regards.
08-07-2020, 09:51 PM - 1 Like   #282
Pentaxian

Some of the flash nuances are covered in greater detail in Nigel McGregor's article on the PentaxForums here is an excerpt from that article about the K-70. PentaxForums article link
Unfortunately, the second-curtain sync setting on the camera does not change how the radio trigger (or for that matter, most flashes) operates.

Some cameras, like the K-1, don't even have respective flash settings.
The K-5 II has two second-curtain sync related flash settings but I just confirmed that they don't enable second-curtain sync with the XPro-P.

Unfortunately, Pentax has associated second-sync functionality with the flash. They could have associated it with the camera which would enable us to use any old flash or trigger to accomplish second-curtain sync, but they didn't. It's anybody's guess as to why that decision was made.
08-08-2020, 06:18 AM - 2 Likes   #283
Pentaxian

It's anybody's guess as to why that decision was made
to sell the flashes that can!
08-09-2020, 02:45 AM - 1 Like   #284
Pentaxian

Hola Pablo,

After reading the helpful comments from Class A, I'd like to add some thoughts on my part.

Did they ever released a firmware version for the AD360II so it can work with this trigger in HSS?
There may be a way to use HSS on your AD360II, without the use of a cactus trigger. I have tested it with an AD200 (it does not make sense to do it with an AD200, but it can be useful with the AD360II).

We'll need an XproP trigger, which I think you have.
We also need an XTR16 receiver, maybe you can get one second hand super cheap, or you can ask a friend to lend you one.

1. You must disable wireless mode on the AD360II.
2. Plug the XTR16 receiver into the USB port.
(From what I have read in the AD360II manual, the above two points are possible).
Congratulations, you have 'downgraded' your AD360II.
3. Now we need to check that the AD360II can enable HSS manually, after disabling wireless mode. This is not clear to me after reading the manual, and I don't have an AD360II so I can't check it. But if this point is possible, then the setup could work.

If points 1, 2 and 3 can be done, then this is how to proceed:
Set up the XTR16 receiver with the correct channel and group.
Put the XProP trigger on your camera and select a speed below the sync speed.
Take a test photo. It should work.
To enable HSS: simply enable HSS manually on your 'downgraded' flash.
Take a test photo and you should sync fine.
As a disadvantage, you need to enable/disable HSS manually on the flash.

You can of course control more flashes, whether you've 'downgraded' your ad360ii or not.
I have tested this setup with my AD200 (I can disable wireless and enable HSS manualy on this flash easily). Obviously I don't need to do all of this to use my AD200, but this second way is possible, and can be useful with an AD360II. I don't have an AD360II to test if it would work as well, but if points 1, 2, and 3 can be done, it should work.

Yeah, for portability I would prefer the AD300, I know it’s only a little more light than the 200. But with HSS and Pentax lenses, you need as much light as you can get.
I just made some tests and I can use the AD200 and the AD360ii with HSS and the Pentax 645D using the Cactus V6ii and a Canon X1T trigger on top of it. But it’s very buggy, it works then it stops working. I hope the X2T-P I ordered is better, but it’s going to take a long time to get here, about 3 weeks.
Have you considered using an ND filter? On my tests, I 'gain' more than one stop by using an ND filter, compared to HSS.

Saludos.
08-09-2020, 08:33 PM   #285

QuoteOriginally posted by morenjavi Quote
Hola Pablo,

After reading the helpful comments from Class A, I'd like to add some thoughts on my part.

There may be a way to use HSS on your AD360II, without the use of a cactus trigger. I have tested it with an AD200 (it does not make sense to do it with an AD200, but it can be useful with the AD360II).

We'll need an XproP trigger, which I think you have.
We also need an XTR16 receiver, maybe you can get one second hand super cheap, or you can ask a friend to lend you one.

1. You must disable wireless mode on the AD360II.
2. Plug the XTR16 receiver into the USB port.
(From what I have read in the AD360II manual, the above two points are possible).
Congratulations, you have 'downgraded' your AD360II.
3. Now we need to check that the AD360II can enable HSS manually, after disabling wireless mode. This is not clear to me after reading the manual, and I don't have an AD360II so I can't check it. But if this point is possible, then the setup could work.

If points 1, 2 and 3 can be done, then this is how to proceed:
Set up the XTR16 receiver with the correct channel and group.
Put the XProP trigger on your camera and select a speed below the sync speed.
Take a test photo. It should work.
To enable HSS: simply enable HSS manually on your 'downgraded' flash.
Take a test photo and you should sync fine.
As a disadvantage, you need to enable/disable HSS manually on the flash.

You can of course control more flashes, whether you've 'downgraded' your ad360ii or not.
I have tested this setup with my AD200 (I can disable wireless and enable HSS manualy on this flash easily). Obviously I don't need to do all of this to use my AD200, but this second way is possible, and can be useful with an AD360II. I don't have an AD360II to test if it would work as well, but if points 1, 2, and 3 can be done, it should work.

Have you considered using an ND filter? On my tests, I 'gain' more than one stop by using an ND filter, compared to HSS.

Saludos.
Thanks!
Don’t have the Pentax trigger yet, and I ordered a X2T-P not the Xpro-P. But I’ll try it when it gets here. Yeah, I do believe you can manually force HSS on the 360ii, but have not actually tried it.

I don’t use ND filters because focusing would be a problem, the 645D is slow and hard to focus as it is. I’d rather have HSS.

I decided to buy another Ad200 and the double head adapter, that way I can have one more stop of light if I need it.

Thanks! I’ll let you know if it worked.