Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
09-09-2018, 03:01 PM - 6 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Back to School, Back to 3 Lights

It was great to see Cactus release the firmware update for the older V6 trigger, that makes it compatible with the newer V6II when the V6II is running the "XTTL" firmware version.

Now its possible to run the XTTL frimware on the V6II for use with any compatible P-TTL flashes, but also to add a V6 (or more) into the mix if you want to switch to manual mode. This is with a single press on the group buttons, so very convenient. So my V6 has come back into use attached to the AF-540FGZII, with remote manual power control.

I had a chance to put 3 lights into practice as our eldest daughter started High School, a big event for us, so of course the softbox, umbrella and hair light were all set up ready to go when she got back!

The main light is a softbox just outside the left frame edge, angled down, and the fill is an umbrella slightly behind my right shoulder. The hair light is a bare flash (with max zoom) behind the subjects left shoulder, a few feet back.

I've been quite pleased with the softness of light I've been able to get from a fairly small softbox (25x25 inches) and a simgle flash gun. This type of collapsible box is really designed for bare bulb type lights, as the light should bounce around inside and reflect off all the walls. A hotshoe flash points directly at the subject and a lot of its light will not directly hit the walls, therefore it tends to create a hotspot on the face.

I am trying to avoid this with a Gary Fong LightSphere dome on the flash head which throws the light all around and I find creates a nicer effect ….

09-09-2018, 03:30 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great effect with the Gary Fong and the softbox. I may have found a new use for my Gary Fong!
09-09-2018, 04:40 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Nicely lit photos.

I used to use old plastic milk bottles with some aluminum foil added (beauty dish style) as diffusers. Cheaper than Gary Fong gadgets.

Now I prefer softboxes with a backfiring configuration.
09-09-2018, 05:53 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Very nice. Love the rim highlight and seperation. And the fill works great to give the black clothes detail without overlighting the face. You made a great model look her best.
I use a stofen instead of a fong.

09-09-2018, 10:46 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You will have her friends queuing up to have "Dad" take their portraits.
09-10-2018, 01:19 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ha, seeing their efforts with photos and videos using their phones I don't think they care much for fancy lighting Peter! But you're right, once people see the possibilities it can change their attitudes towards photography.

Thanks all for your replies ..... I'll admit, my Fong dome sees the inside of the softbox more than anything else. Perhaps I should swap it for a milk bottle from the recycling bin!?!

These sort of softboxes are cheap ...(I use mine in forests and damp ground without worrying), but the configuration with a small flash head pointing straight forwards is not ideal. I always pull out the wide angle panel on the flash, but it's still not enough to avoid most of the light going forward.

Thanks again all, I'm glad you liked the shots!
09-10-2018, 07:42 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I should of course have mentioned that the camera used was Pentax K7, and the lens the D FA28-105mm. They were taken at around 90-100mm, F8, ISO100, 1/180th.