Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-21-2018, 01:42 PM   #46
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Interesting examples of a good techniques there Des, thanks. Yes, it's still direct front on flash, but the spread is gentler and softer. Often it's about getting the best you can with what's practical and to hand.

11-21-2018, 04:27 PM   #47
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
Interesting examples of a good techniques there Des, thanks. Yes, it's still direct front on flash, but the spread is gentler and softer. Often it's about getting the best you can with what's practical and to hand.
Thanks Nigel. I'm thinking about getting a mini-softbox or something like the fstoppers disc so that in field use like this I can use the flash off-camera with diffusion. You guys have persuaded me. Round or square?

Last edited by Des; 11-21-2018 at 04:36 PM.
11-21-2018, 04:49 PM   #48
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Thanks Nigel. I'm thinking about getting a mini-softbox or something like the fstoppers disc so that in field use like this I can use the flash off-camera with diffusion. You guys have persuaded me. Round or square?
Won't matter, Des. The round or square shape is just to change what the catchlights look line in someone's eyes.
11-21-2018, 07:07 PM   #49
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
If I could only have one for outdoor flowers, plants fungus, etc, it would be square or rectangular. When things are low to the ground, a round shape can't get as large an area close to the ground as one with a flat side can.

If it's a question of the shape of specular highlights (think water droplets on flowers), it's really personal preference. I usually pack a square diffuser that attaches to a flash but also a round 5-in-1 reflector so I can go back and forth. Neither really looks natural if the highlight is well defined and you haven't done something to obscure it.

11-22-2018, 03:22 AM   #50
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Clackers and Brian, thanks for your comments. I think I'll go for a square or rectangular one for the reason Brian mentioned - plus the ability to sit it on the ground, like a scaled-down version of the softbox in Nigel's first post.

Last edited by Des; 11-22-2018 at 01:42 PM.
11-22-2018, 03:33 AM - 1 Like   #51
Pentaxian

Original Poster
It's a practical shape, true, plus the flat wide edge and the "lip" protects the white diffuse material as well as padding down grass or twigs and leaves. I just prop the flash onto my backpack on the ground to stabilize it and get the angle right.

Bear in mind that smaller boxes will need more extreme angling to direct the light....my one tends to fill a wide area, so less precision is needed, plus its guaranteed soft light.
11-22-2018, 08:43 AM - 1 Like   #52

Photos: Gallery
Going along with Nigel here (Not for the first time...lol ) and going to give my vote to the square 60 x 60 box.. The only amendment I would add. Looking at his picure. Is he obviously got his, like me in the earlier day's when they were supplied with a different bracket. This bracket can tilt 90 degrees. Not sure you need on a square box. But they are now supplied with the Godox "S" bracket. Which cant tilt but is a lot more versatile and can accept other modifiers with its "Bowens or Elinchron mount" or an umbrella. Or multi flash accesory should 1 flash not be powerful enough.. Though I suspect that wouldn't be needed..