Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-07-2019, 01:53 AM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Katja Quote
I think, I need to remind myself what problem I'm trying to solve:
Your budget would have to be a little bit stretched if you wanted to get an AD200 (has the power of ~ 3 regular speedlights) + a corresponding trigger which would tick all your boxes. Note, though, that the AD200's head cannot be zoomed. It only has one 35mm setting. However, it comes with an additional bare-bulb head which is ideal to use in softboxes.

All your boxes would also be ticked by a Cactus V6II + RF60X combination or a Godox trigger + Godox speedlight combination for quite a bit of less money (but also less flexibility and less power output). I'm not familiar with the current capabilities of Godox speedlights, but I'd be surprised if there weren't a model that supported HSS in conjunction with the XPro-P trigger.

I just thought, that if I get either Godox or Cactus kit, it might also work with my studio lighting.
Both systems are capable of working with your studio lights, you'd just have to use respective radio receivers + sync cables.
If your studio strobes have optical slaves then one such radio receiver + sync cable would be sufficient.

There is also the option of trigger stacking, i.e., putting your Aperture transmitter on top of a V6II but I wouldn't recommend such an approach.

Last edited by Class A; 01-07-2019 at 01:58 AM.
01-07-2019, 02:46 PM   #17

1) Having a portable flash (ideally with a built-in transceiver)
2) Automatic wireless HSS support
3) Quick recharge time
4) Remote control of flash power and lens zoom
5) Affordable price (around $500 AUD).
Oh. A Godox V860II (AU$250-ish on amazon.au.com) and an XPro-P (about AU$90) could do that as an off-camera radio slave. But the V860II wouldn't be TTL/HSS on the camera hotshoe, since a -P version isn't out yet. You'd have to get an "other flavor" version and firmware update it.

It has a built-in transceiver, can do HSS/TTL/power control over radio from an XPro-P (TTL is contingent upon the firmware update), uses a li-on battery pack for slightly faster recycling over NiMh AAs, and if you put the Zoom into the auto setting, you can remotely zoom it by group from an X-Pro transmitter.

The cheaper AA-powered TT685 should hopefully be able to do the same, but doesn't yet have the firmware upgrade for P-TTL.

If you're willing to give up the zoom capability, and the 0.25s slower recycling on NiMh vs Li-on is okay for you, you could also go with the about AU$80 TT600 in the meantime until a V860II-P or TT685-P arrives on the scene.
01-07-2019, 07:50 PM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Your budget would have to be a little bit stretched if you wanted to get an AD200 (has the power of ~ 3 regular speedlights) + a corresponding trigger which would tick all your boxes. Note, though, that the AD200's head cannot be zoomed. It only has one 35mm setting. However, it comes with an additional bare-bulb head which is ideal to use in softboxes.
Thank you again Class A for sharing your additional thoughts. I've just watched a video showcasing how Godox AD200 is used in practice, and I like the versatility of this product and the power .. and I can live without the zooming component. I found it on ebay.com.au for $487AUD incl. the XPro-P trigger for Pentax. I think it's a pretty good deal, and still within my budget.

I also found out that the software for AD200 was updated last year, so it now works as TTL. I feel that this kit should get me going for events photography for now. Thank you again for your additional comments. I appreciate your time.

---------- Post added 01-08-2019 at 01:57 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by inkista Quote
Oh. A Godox V860II (AU$250-ish on amazon.au.com) and an XPro-P (about AU$90) could do that as an off-camera radio slave. But the V860II wouldn't be TTL/HSS on the camera hotshoe, since a -P version isn't out yet. You'd have to get an "other flavor" version and firmware update it.

It has a built-in transceiver, can do HSS/TTL/power control over radio from an XPro-P (TTL is contingent upon the firmware update), uses a li-on battery pack for slightly faster recycling over NiMh AAs, and if you put the Zoom into the auto setting, you can remotely zoom it by group from an X-Pro transmitter.
Thank you inkista for your thoughts. I've looked into this option, and I really would like to have the TTL option when shooting events in particular. Other than that I'm happy to use the flashgun in "M" mode. I know keen to go ahead with Godox AD200 .. as it seems to be ticking all boxes for me apart from the zoom.