Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-22-2008, 03:51 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Pentax ring flash

Is anyone excited about the Pentax ring flash that is just announced? I know I am.

However does anyone know which lenses it will/won't fit?

09-22-2008, 05:10 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I know I am. I almost pulled the trigger on an old AF 080C a few times. This has been a missing link in the flash line up for a while now.

Tom G
09-22-2008, 07:20 PM   #3
Damn Brit

Hopefully this will be a sensible design that conforms to the barrel of the lens.
09-22-2008, 10:32 PM   #4
Banned

well you can check out the specs on the pentaxSLR website. I think I might invest in this because from the site the new flash is both P-TTL and TTL compatible. It wont go for any higher than the current prices are for AF080 & 140C's, so I think it would be wise to purchase this new one. I think this flash was well thought out.

this is from PentaxSLR.com:

- Lens Adapter rings available in 49mm, 52mm, 58mm, 67mm filter threads, as well as a macro adapter for PENTAX D-FA series macro lenses

PENTAX Digital SLR - The New Classic

09-23-2008, 12:42 AM   #5
Inactive Account

I have been waiting for a proper ring flash for 692989873278 decades.
Im up for it, but im out of money, so it won;t be soon
09-23-2008, 01:12 AM   #6

Yeah, the Pentax Ring Flash looks really nice. I might end up getting the Metz ringflash instead though. The Pentax flash is probably much more powerful, faster and more functional, but the Metz looks cheaper and more portable.
09-23-2008, 02:23 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by marlon Quote
I have been waiting for a proper ring flash for 692989873278 decades.
Im up for it, but im out of money, so it won;t be soon
wow, you've been waiting a while

09-23-2008, 02:35 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by walter Quote
Yeah, the Pentax Ring Flash looks really nice. I might end up getting the Metz ringflash instead though. The Pentax flash is probably much more powerful, faster and more functional, but the Metz looks cheaper and more portable.
looks impressive (but then I haven't seen a nice brochure of the pentax). I thought the pentax was bit expensive at $499 but then I looked around and saw that seems to be about the price of the them, the sigma (not for pentax though) is $399. I would thought that the metz would be more expensive??
09-23-2008, 03:15 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by philmorley Quote
looks impressive (but then I haven't seen a nice brochure of the pentax). I thought the pentax was bit expensive at $499 but then I looked around and saw that seems to be about the price of the them, the sigma (not for pentax though) is $399. I would thought that the metz would be more expensive??
You might be right, I didn't see any prices on the Metz ringflash. I assumed it was cheaper since it only had two flash elements (looks like there's 4 on the pentax) and didn't look as powerful. On closer inspection though, the Metz has a GN of 15, and Pentax has a GN of 16. $499 is out of my price range, but hopefully the street price will be significantly lower.
09-23-2008, 04:16 AM   #10
Veteran Member

there is also promaster macrolume $300 + module
09-23-2008, 04:44 AM   #11

The Sigma EM-140 DG is also to be made available in a Pentax fitting. Other announcements from Sigma: Digital Photography Review and scroll down
09-23-2008, 09:40 PM   #12
dbh
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Talisker Quote
The Sigma EM-140 DG is also to be made available in a Pentax fitting. Other announcements from Sigma: Digital Photography Review and scroll down
My Tamron 90mm is a 55mm filter size and the Sigma 180mm needs a 72mm filter size. Here's my thought process:
There is no adapter for 55mm or 72mm lenses, the Sigma has both available.
Pentax will for sure work well with the K10D and K20D p-ttl system.
Sigma probably will too, but I worry about 100% compatibility.
Both have a modeling feature - I like this. Whether they use LEDs or the flash tubes for the modelling light doesn't matter to me much.
The 14 vs 16 GN difference is no biggie as they are both more than adequate for macro work IMHO.
The Sigma will control wireless flashes, but unsure if that means only other Sigma strobes or if it would control a AF540 or AF360 wirelessly. Would be a bonus to be able to use one of those as a backlight. The Pentax ringflash makes no mention of wireless capabilities, or high-speed sync (unless I missed it).
Pricing in Canada will probably be similar, and both are likely special orders only.

Right now if they were both available at the same price, I'd probably go for the Pentax out of fear of compatibility, then fuss with adapting it to my macro lenses. <sigh>
When the time comes I hope to be able to make a whole lot more informed decision.
Maybe around Christmas...
--
dbh - really wanting one of these.
09-23-2008, 11:21 PM   #13

Looks like MSRP on the Metz is 300 € in Spain, not sure about US pricing.
09-24-2008, 06:48 AM   #14

AT LAST!!!! Been waiting for this for ages! One thought though: The only Pentax "macro" lens I own is the 35mm F2.8 limited. Considering that you have to be REALLY REALLY close to the subject to do 1:1 with that lens, I am not sure the ring flash can be used at all with this baby... any thoughts?

The only other macro lens I own is my beloved 70mm Sigma. Can't remember what filter size it uses but worse comes to worse, I can get a staggered adaptor... I guess...

Gene
09-24-2008, 08:00 AM   #15
dbh
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by xGene Quote
AT LAST!!!! Been waiting for this for ages! One thought though: The only Pentax "macro" lens I own is the 35mm F2.8 limited. Considering that you have to be REALLY REALLY close to the subject to do 1:1 with that lens, I am not sure the ring flash can be used at all with this baby... any thoughts?

The only other macro lens I own is my beloved 70mm Sigma. Can't remember what filter size it uses but worse comes to worse, I can get a staggered adaptor... I guess...

Gene
The specs for the 70mm from the Sigma web site show it has a 62mm filter size.
If the Pentax ring flash is like a filter, it should be adaptable with staggered adapter(s) like you suggest.

A few ideas for accessories spring to mind:
- adapters for these common macro lenses
- an axially adjustable adapter so it can be moved out and back relative to the lens
- white flaps that can be angled to bounce some of the light differently on all sides
- gels to match light sources of other colour temps (tungsten, etc.)

I also was wondering if it provides focus assist light like the pop-up does.
--
dbh