Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-29-2018, 02:28 PM   #1

Flash compatibility

Hi friends!

I'm looking to buy this flash:

It's a DÖRR DAF-14S TTL, where the S seems to stand for Sony. I've done a lookup on the manufacturer's web (doerrfoto) and I didn't even seen a Pantex model, which led me to think: The TTL thingy is always propietary or can Pentax word with flashes of other manufacturers? I don't really know how this works, so any kind of light will be useful.
Also, 3.95€ for a 90€+ euro unit is such a bargain!

09-29-2018, 02:46 PM   #2

TTL protocols are proprietary between brands. You would need P-TTL for modern Pentax cameras which do not support the older TTL protocol from the film era.

The flash unit pictured is indeed for Sony/Konica/Minolta. The foot is not compatible with the standard flash shoe found on almost every other camera brand.
09-29-2018, 03:04 PM   #3

Original Poster
So for a Pentax K5 (Or a K-m, whatever i end using) i'd need a P-TTL compatible flash? No adaptor, no nothing=?
09-29-2018, 03:07 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CapitanXeon Quote
So for a Pentax K5 (Or a K-m, whatever i end using) i'd need a P-TTL compatible flash? No adaptor, no nothing=?
You can use most non-PTTL flashes in manual mode as long as they support the same hotshoe.

However, if you want a P-TTL macro flash, go for this one:
PENTAX AF 160FC Auto Macro Ring Flash reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-29-2018, 03:15 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
However, if you want a P-TTL macro flash, go for this one:
PENTAX AF 160FC Auto Macro Ring Flash reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
...or possibly this one...

Sigma EM-140 DG Ring flash reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

The Sony-type foot on the flash you were considering is adaptable to a standard hot shoe, but would be full manual only on your Pentax cameras.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 09-29-2018 at 03:29 PM.
09-29-2018, 03:51 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The Sony-type foot on the flash you were considering is adaptable to a standard hot shoe, but would be full manual only on your Pentax cameras.

Steve
What does mean "full manual" Honestly, i only do macro with reversed lenses, so it may end working in manual anyway. Also, the adaptation would need an adapter like this one or i could slap the flash as is and work in manual? I thought that the hot shoe ddesign was pretty universal
09-29-2018, 04:15 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

What does mean "full manual" Honestly, i only do macro with reversed lenses, so it may end working in manual anyway. Also, the adaptation would need an adapter like this one or i could slap the flash as is and work in manual? I thought that the hot shoe ddesign was pretty universal
Despite the fancy foot (present on most adapters of this kind), the linked adapter allows for manual flash only fired through the center hot shoe contact. "Full manual" means that you set aperture, shutter speed, and flash output manually with no help from the camera's meter. "Universal" in the flash world means "works with any camera having a standard hot shoe". The task is easier than might appear and many users on this site do macro flash full manual as a matter of general practice. The big question might be whether the flash allows fine tuning of output (duration). Best case would be something like 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, 1/32, 1/64 (six stop attenuation) for a high level of flexibility with different subject distances.

The description and reviews for a similar unit with Vello branding may be helpful:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/765449-REG/Vello_HSA_CCS_Hot_Shoe_Adapter_to.html

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 09-29-2018 at 04:22 PM.
09-29-2018, 10:27 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What does mean "full manual"
You set the flash power yourself to 1/1, 1/2, 1/4... Etc. The power of the light isn't linked to camera settings or available light.

...or i could slap the flash as is and work in manual? I thought that the hot shoe ddesign was pretty universal
Sony is special...
Why is Sony flash hotshoe different than the rest ?: Sony Alpha Full Frame E-mount Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
09-30-2018, 04:36 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
You set the flash power yourself to 1/1, 1/2, 1/4... Etc. The power of the light isn't linked to camera settings or available light.

Sony is special...
Why is Sony flash hotshoe different than the rest ?: Sony Alpha Full Frame E-mount Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
Okay, now that does make sense to me. So to be clear (altough i can defend myself with a manual camera, i don't know how an external flash works) if i use a flash without TTL, it will just fire with whatever settings the flash itself has? I mean, i always thought this is how a flash works anyway, i didn't know there's a TTL comunication between flash and camera to do nasty things

By the way, i found something buried into a review, and it says: "I have to learn to use the automatic TTL mode. I like more the manual mode, but this model of flash doesn't allow it."
I guess this is all? Or it just means it will fire at maximum power?
09-30-2018, 05:54 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Okay, now that does make sense to me. So to be clear (altough i can defend myself with a manual camera, i don't know how an external flash works) if i use a flash without TTL, it will just fire with whatever settings the flash itself has? I mean, i always thought this is how a flash works anyway, i didn't know there's a TTL comunication between flash and camera to do nasty things

By the way, i found something buried into a review, and it says: "I have to learn to use the automatic TTL mode. I like more the manual mode, but this model of flash doesn't allow it."
I guess this is all? Or it just means it will fire at maximum power?
Some flashes lack manual controls. These vary in how they behave when used without TTL. Some have an auto mode which uses a sensor on the flash to try to appropriately set the light levels without directly integrating to the camera's exposure system.
09-30-2018, 06:40 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Some flashes lack manual controls. These vary in how they behave when used without TTL. Some have an auto mode which uses a sensor on the flash to try to appropriately set the light levels without directly integrating to the camera's exposure system.
I'm guessing if there's a way to test that. I mean, the most basic operation is with a trigger voltage, and it should be as basic as putting the ground pin on the negative and the trigger pin on the positive of a known voltage power supply with a switch on the way to not having continuous supply, do i miss something?
09-30-2018, 09:20 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Looking on the web I found a picture of the back. There are no controls that I saw - on/off. That will likely not work at all other than 100% power.
09-30-2018, 09:45 AM   #13

I'm guessing if there's a way to test that. I mean, the most basic operation is with a trigger voltage, and it should be as basic as putting the ground pin on the negative and the trigger pin on the positive of a known voltage power supply with a switch on the way to not having continuous supply, do i miss something?
UncleVanya is talking about the flash tube output power. Flash output is determined mainly by the duration of the flash so the output power settings cut the duration by 1/2, 1/4, 1/8 and so forth.
09-30-2018, 10:19 AM   #14
Veteran Member

It’s cheap, but it’s not looking like your ideal macro flash, at least not for practical real world photography.
09-30-2018, 10:30 AM   #15

Original Poster
Idk how powerful an external flash turns out, but with what you say, i guess i should look for another thing?