Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-04-2018, 11:38 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Help with first flash

I'm looking at getting my first flash. I don't see an actual, predetermined use that I have yet so I'm looking at inexpensive flashes. I've narrowed down my choice to a Godox TT350p or a Metz 48 AF-1. I'm not sure which is the better one to get. I've read up a bit on both but I'm still unsure.

10-05-2018, 12:46 AM - 1 Like   #2
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeyBugs95 Quote
I'm looking at getting my first flash. I don't see an actual, predetermined use that I have yet so I'm looking at inexpensive flashes. I've narrowed down my choice to a Godox TT350p or a Metz 48 AF-1. I'm not sure which is the better one to get. I've read up a bit on both but I'm still unsure.
Hi MikeyBugs95, may I suggest that before buying a flash, consider how you are intending to use it, as that choice will be a big factor in what you need. Flash units are a highly underrated piece of equipment IMO. A small ( non-directional ) flash is fine for using during the day as a fill flash, but would not be the best choice for portraiture. I believe that once you are sure how you want to use a flash, you will not be unsure of which one to get. Just my $0.02.
10-05-2018, 01:33 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have no experience with Godox, but the Metz flashes I've used in the past have been very good. The only thing better have been Pentax units because they are weather-sealed.

I think you may regret getting a flash that only tilts (up & down) but does not swivel (left & right). For affordable first flashes that are Pentax compatible, I'd recommend the Yongnuo YN585EX. Hard to beat for price plus features.

Yongnuo YN585EX Speedlite for Pentax Cameras YN585EX/PENTAX B&H

At 1/3 the price of the next best thing, a Metz Mecablitz 44 AF-2, the Yongnuo would be my low priced choice.

Metz mecablitz 44 AF-2 Digital Flash for Pentax MZ 44327PEN B&H
10-05-2018, 03:19 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

+1 for the Yongnuo 585EX. I have two and love them.

10-05-2018, 03:54 AM   #5
Pentaxian

For manual flash (you have to set the flash power setting yourself, manually, for every shot), all flash guns will do. For automated flash setting with the P-TTL, it's not sure that third party flash models stated as compatible for Pentax TTL will fully work. I would recommend to double verify flash model / camera model compatibility.
10-05-2018, 04:46 AM   #6

Cant believe the Shanny SN6000FGZ isnt getting a mention as a first flash option.. Though with the introduction of a Godox ttl flash trigger the Godox gun maybe the better longer term solution.. The Pentax gun is far too expensive to be classed as good value for money !! Though has all the solutions including rear curtain sync...!!
10-05-2018, 05:41 AM   #7

I agree that it helps to have some idea what you might use the flash for. I bought one of my first flashes to take publicity shots of some large equipment being installed at a construction site, so I needed a bright flash that could light up the inside an entire building, so It was all about guide number; I ended up with a manual Sunpak lens with a guide number of 180–plenty of light and also great for large group pictures inside... However, it was physically big!

That flash also had a thyristor which allowed the flash to monitor the reflected light like a light meter and stop the flash automatically to prevent over exposure. It works great (as long as you don’t put your finger over the light sensor...). It also means the flash will work on different brands of camera because the flash is managing the flash output and not the camera. You do need to make sure the camera and flash are set to the same f-stop. The thyristor is one of the items that drives up the cost. The $100 flashes typically depend on the camera to take a TTL light reading and adjust the flash output. The flash must be able to communicate with the camera to get the correct exposure info,

I mentioned that my Sunpak is big. I have a K-1. Because it diesn’t have a built-in lens, I wanted a small flash I could stick in my bag as a sort of fill flash for taking indoor candid shots of friends. I bought a Metz 26 AF-2. They have a Pentax version that is completely P-TTL compatible so the camera controls the flash output. It fits into a pocket, but the guide number is only 85 feet and it uses 2 AAA batteries so you can’t take lots of pictures before the battery is dead. (It would not work for a wedding shoot for instance.)

Another feature to consider is if you want to use multiple flashes. I never do, so I have no advice there.

One strong recommendation from me is to get a flash bracket if you will be taking lots or pictures of people. My flash bracket moves the flash up and to my left looking through the lens. By moving the flash so it is not directly lined up with the lens, you don’t get red-eye and no pre-flash is needed. By moving the lens up, any harsh shadows behind the person will usually be hidden by their body. If I know I will be doing portraits or group shots, I take the bracket. I use my Sunpak if I’m doing portraits, so I just use s flash cord connected to my hot shoe to trigger the flash and the Sunpak controls the flash output.

10-05-2018, 06:33 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Hi MikeyBugs95, may I suggest that before buying a flash, consider how you are intending to use it, as that choice will be a big factor in what you need. Flash units are a highly underrated piece of equipment IMO. A small ( non-directional ) flash is fine for using during the day as a fill flash, but would not be the best choice for portraiture. I believe that once you are sure how you want to use a flash, you will not be unsure of which one to get. Just my $0.02.
This^^^

That said, for a do-it-all flash, I would highly recommend a P-TTL flash with a head that could tilt and swilvel, the most powerful your budget would allow.

Manual flash are cheaper, but if it's your only flash, sooner or later you will be in a situation for which you would like to have some P-TTL features. Most P-TTL flashes also can be used in manual mode, so it's the best of both world.

A swivel head really is a must and is essential for on-camera bounce flash. Bounce flash certainly is something you probably will want to experiment, but isn't as convenient to do with a non-swivel head (and also will work much better in P-TTL than in manual).

For power, a flash cannot be too powerful. It's always possible to use a lower power setting on a flash, but there isn't much to do if the flash lacks power. I would not recommend anything with a GN less than 36.

As for specific brand or model, I have experience with Pentax and Metz flashes and both are very good and recommendable. This doesn't mean that other brands aren't good, just that I doesn't know them and thus can't really recommend them either... I would not frown upon trying a cheaper, lesser klnown brand as a long as it meets the criteria detailed above (P-TTL, swivel head, power). And the difference in price should be significative compared with Pentax or Metz with the same feature set and power.
10-05-2018, 07:49 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I have been looking at tilt/swivel heads and automatic flashes with P-TTL. For the most part, I'm looking at doing general, everyday photography, landscape and some macro possibly. For this I was looking at compact flashes. The Shanny SN600FGZ is nice but I think it might be a bit too complex and large for my use as a first flash. It certainly seems to fall right into the budget though.

Last edited by MikeyBugs95; 10-05-2018 at 09:15 AM.
10-07-2018, 01:44 PM   #10

... I've narrowed down my choice to a Godox TT350p
Just to let you know, the TT350-P isn't yet released. B&H is showing 2-4 weeks, but Adorama isn't listing it yet, and Godox have been known to be late before. And they've not yet announced a V350-P, TT685-P, or V860II-P. If you really are interested in a Godox flash, it may be better to wait at least until a few street reports are out.

A TT350, if it works as advertised, is a rocking bargain at $85, but it is limited compared to the full-sized TT685 ($110)/V860II ($180).

It's only powered by 2xAA, not 4xAA, so it's lower-powered.

It's smaller and lighter, but doesn't swivel 360º (only 270º), has no sync port, no recycle beep, and no external battery pack port. It gets firmware update a lot less frequently that the bigger speedlights. It is mainly designed to balance well on small mirrorless bodies. It also is not designed to do the cross-brand TTL switching (as a radio slave) that the TT685/V860II can do. And as an on-camera transmitter, the XPro-P has a lot more function and a much better UI.

And there's a further feature the TT685/V860II might have (might not), which is smart optical slave/master capability. So far, only the -C/-N/-S versions have this, the -F/-O versions do not. And until they're announced we'll have no idea which way it will go, but having a backup triggering system is never bad. None of the 350 models, however, can do smart optical. And the V versions can help with battery handling, if you plan on heavy prolonged usage of flash (say, shooting weddings), by using a li-on battery pack that has about 3x the capacity of a set of AAs.

The Godox system for Pentax isn't yet all rolled out. Three to six months from now, the picture will be a lot clearer on what Godox has to offer a Pentax Shooter.

Last edited by inkista; 10-07-2018 at 03:20 PM.