Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
10-10-2018, 02:25 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by morenjavi Quote
I have read on the Godox site that this small flash have master capabilities, and can control a AD200 flash (and others). So for simple setups with the flash on the hotshoe, you don't need any extra XPro trigger.
Oh! That's good to know I wonder what it can all do. Could it for example make the AD200 fire in HSS mode (and that the flash omitted from the TT350 itself doesn't actually fire or the flash from it isn't included in the shot etc). It might even replace my need to find funds for the XproP! Just get that and a AD200!

10-10-2018, 10:48 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I really like these if you want small flashes:
LightPix Labs FlashQ Q20 Flash (Black) 634158475009 B&H Photo
10-10-2018, 12:48 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I really like these if you want small flashes:
LightPix Labs FlashQ Q20 Flash (Black) 634158475009 B&H Photo
Hehe, that does look cute, quite retro as well (which I dig), however I'm not sure how it will go with getting a maggrip on with a magboob
10-10-2018, 08:34 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I have read on the Godox site that this small flash have master capabilities, and can control a AD200 flash (and others). So for simple setups with the flash on the hotshoe, you don't need any extra XPro trigger.
Yeah that is really interesting to know, because the XproP trigger costs basically the same as this flash! I'm curious to know more, like whether the 350 can't do some things in terms of controlling the AD200, or whether the process is annoying and convoluted vs actually just using a trigger. I'm not a flush man for coinage tho, so any chance I can save a bob or two I'll try!

I'm currently trying to gain access to a godox fb community to get some better understanding etc.

10-11-2018, 09:10 PM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Yeah that is really interesting to know, because the XproP trigger costs basically the same as this flash! I'm curious to know more, like whether the 350 can't do some things in terms of controlling the AD200, or whether the process is annoying and convoluted vs actually just using a trigger. ...
Yup. It's not as capable as an XPro as a transmitter unit.
  • It can only do three groups (not five).
  • It cannot do TCM (TTL convert to Manual)
  • It cannot do universal power adjustments.
  • It cannot be used to do tail syncing.
  • It cannot control modelling lights on the studio strobes.
  • And yeah, the interface is more of a PITA.
  • It also gets firmware upgrades/fixes far less frequently than the transmitter units do.
Also, most folks who use a Godox TT685/V860II off-camera will use the Godox Bowens-S bracket, instead of an umbrella swivel. AD200 folks will use either the Bowens S-bracket, or the AD-B2 dual bracket.

We are, however, trying to figure out what Godox will offer as way to mount their rumored new round-headed speedlight (read: Profoto A1 clone) to a lightstand, since the current bracket clearly won't work. But it will use the same magnetic modifiers the AD200's round head does.

Just me, but have you considered the AD200 with the extension head for your bracket issues? That would move most of the weight of the battery to a waist pack.

Last edited by inkista; 10-11-2018 at 09:18 PM.
10-12-2018, 05:07 AM   #21
Pentaxian

How to mount the AD200 to a light stand is a very interesting topic. This is how I finally do it (quick and dirty pic, sorry): phottix bracket + arca plate. The AD200 is firmly attached. It's not my original idea, I saw it on a forum time ago, but I don't remember where. For umbrellas or Godox accesories is enought. For bowens modifiers you need the S-bracket, of course.

Regards.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
10-12-2018, 04:00 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
For bowens modifiers you need the S-bracket, of course.

Or Elinchrom. The S-Brackets have their own ratcheted tilt mechanism, though be warned it can easily slip if you don't tighten it down properly.

10-12-2018, 09:19 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by inkista Quote
Yup. It's not as capable as an XPro as a transmitter unit.
  • It can only do three groups (not five).
  • It cannot do TCM (TTL convert to Manual)
  • It cannot do universal power adjustments.
  • It cannot be used to do tail syncing.
  • It cannot control modelling lights on the studio strobes.
  • And yeah, the interface is more of a PITA.
  • It also gets firmware upgrades/fixes far less frequently than the transmitter units do.
Also, most folks who use a Godox TT685/V860II off-camera will use the Godox Bowens-S bracket, instead of an umbrella swivel. AD200 folks will use either the Bowens S-bracket, or the AD-B2 dual bracket.

We are, however, trying to figure out what Godox will offer as way to mount their rumored new round-headed speedlight (read: Profoto A1 clone) to a lightstand, since the current bracket clearly won't work. But it will use the same magnetic modifiers the AD200's round head does.

Just me, but have you considered the AD200 with the extension head for your bracket issues? That would move most of the weight of the battery to a waist pack.
I had not, didn't even know such a device existed! I wonder how well the weight of the cable from the head of the flash down to the waist pack interferes with the shot, or how annoying that would be. But it's certainly not a bad idea at all.

How to mount the AD200 to a light stand is a very interesting topic. This is how I finally do it (quick and dirty pic, sorry): phottix bracket + arca plate. The AD200 is firmly attached. It's not my original idea, I saw it on a forum time ago, but I don't remember where. For umbrellas or Godox accesories is enought. For bowens modifiers you need the S-bracket, of course.

Regards.
Yeah I had a look at my friends AD200 the other day and marvelled at the billion screw holes available, certainly gives lots of options for docking. As far as I'm concerned a flash with a screw hole is crying out for an adapter plate to be installed (like you have), this gives the quickest docking and removing than twisting imo (also the less you mess with the threads probably the better their life span will be).

Arca however would not be my choice, unless using a lever style all that twisting of a knob to close it just takes too long for my patience.
I was using these small SLIK adapter plates, but they're useless, even for regular seedlights they lose their tension and constantly need re-tightened.
I recently acquired a Manfrotto L Plate, and I picked up some of the chinese knock off adapter plates and adapter, they are still a click and release style plate but now they seem large, robust and grippy (the adapter plates they use are as large as a arca swiss plate I have). Certainly they feel the 'alpha male' of quick release style plates and I'll think they'll do nicely

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Or Elinchrom. The S-Brackets have their own ratcheted tilt mechanism, though be warned it can easily slip if you don't tighten it down properly.

Yeah my friend with the AD200, his S Bowen bracket had to be opened at it's widest to fit the AD200 through, tight fit indeed.
10-13-2018, 05:50 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You can get heads that have quick lever action. You can also add plate adapters to existing heads. Here's an example:

60mm QR Clamp Adapter & Level Arca Swiss for Tripod Head Quick Release Plate
10-13-2018, 11:32 AM   #25

I had not, didn't even know such a device existed! I wonder how well the weight of the cable from the head of the flash down to the waist pack interferes with the shot, or how annoying that would be. But it's certainly not a bad idea at all. ...
Some folks are saying the extension head makes the AD200 now an on-camera flash , but you'd have to use an X1T to do that, since you still need a trigger in the hotshoe, and the Xpro has no hotshoe up top.

Name:  foo.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  26.4 KB

The round head has its own magnetic modifiers, because Godox wants you to pay them money, not MagMod.

But it does mean you don't have to wrestle that big rubber band onto the front of the head any more. I keep wondering if they're eventually going to make the round head the default head that comes with the AD200 vs. the bare bulb and fresnel heads.

The extension head is also very useful for boom work, since you don't have to balance the weight of the battery pack overhead, although it's much more of an issue with the AD600 (which has a similar extension head) which, of course, is much bigger and heavier.

The AD200's "accessories" list (so far) includes:
The AD600 accessories (which we assume the AD600 Pro and AD400 Pro will also have) include:
Because the AD600 and AD600 Pro have different power requirements, none of the accessories are interchangeable for the two models, and they do use two different battery packs.

Last edited by inkista; 10-13-2018 at 01:15 PM.
10-13-2018, 05:04 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
since you still need a trigger in the hotshoe, and the Xpro has no hotshoe up top.
If you wanted to use it on camera just use a PC sync cable to trigger it...finding a cable that short would be fun.
10-13-2018, 05:45 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
You can get heads that have quick lever action. You can also add plate adapters to existing heads. Here's an example:

60mm QR Clamp Adapter & Level Arca Swiss for Tripod Head Quick Release Plate
That link didn't work for me, but I know what you mean. It all comes down to cost for me.

I posted elsewhere recently about clamps and L Plates and all sorts. Eventually I found a Manfrotto L Plate in excellent condition second hand on eBay, so I grabbed that. I then got a couple of the chinese knock of Manfrotto adapter plates and QR plate ($15 each, $7USD), and I have to say the build quality seems excellent, no issues here, sturdy and heavy duty indeed.
My issue with the arca lever system is they cost a lot, and that's just for the adapter plate and QR plate... not even a ballhead included :/

My intention is to move everything over to one system, so that my flashes, cameras, everything can take an Manfrotto QR plate and dock with all tripods and light stands, because under my current system I have to do a bit of hard thinking before deciding which tripod and which ballhead and plate I need if I am going out in the field with a flash etc.

Some folks are saying the extension head makes the AD200 now an on-camera flash , but you'd have to use an X1T to do that, since you still need a trigger in the hotshoe, and the Xpro has no hotshoe up top.

Attachment 426876

The round head has its own magnetic modifiers, because Godox wants you to pay them money, not MagMod.

x

But it does mean you don't have to wrestle that big rubber band onto the front of the head any more. I keep wondering if they're eventually going to make the round head the default head that comes with the AD200 vs. the bare bulb and fresnel heads.

The extension head is also very useful for boom work, since you don't have to balance the weight of the battery pack overhead, although it's much more of an issue with the AD600 (which has a similar extension head) which, of course, is much bigger and heavier.

The AD200's "accessories" list (so far) includes:
The AD600 accessories (which we assume the AD600 Pro and AD400 Pro will also have) include:
Because the AD600 and AD600 Pro have different power requirements, none of the accessories are interchangeable for the two models, and they do use two different battery packs.
If going down the extension AD200 route I think I would keep the XproP docked and then mount the head to my flash bracket that I have.

I'm aware of Godox entering the magnetic modifier market, some magmod users are testing to see if their range stretches over the round heads

Godox has also announced a round head speedlight, like a Profoto one at Photokina recently I believe. I'm hoping that flash might have a better screw head than on the bottom of the plastic feet plate...

Thanks for the links of all the accessories, I'm gonna look seriously into that.
10-13-2018, 06:52 PM   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
If you wanted to use it on camera just use a PC sync cable to trigger it...finding a cable that short would be fun.
Yeah, but then you lose TTL and HSS.
10-13-2018, 07:36 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yeah, but then you lose TTL and HSS.
I wondered that.

So then... the question is... can we (as Pentaxians) get a Ring Flash made for portrait work specifically (ie with a bit more grunt, possible diffusers to boot as well) that can be fired in HSS with TTL as well?
10-13-2018, 07:58 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I wondered that.

So then... the question is... can we (as Pentaxians) get a Ring Flash made for portrait work specifically (ie with a bit more grunt, possible diffusers to boot as well) that can be fired in HSS with TTL as well?
Maybe this plus any HSS flashgun?
RoundFlash Review: The Perfect Ring Light/Flash for Portraits Under $150