Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
10-07-2018, 01:11 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Flash screw holes & multiple flashes used to generate more power

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I'm thinking of making that switch from Cactus to Godox, the 'all day battery pack' for the Godox is very tempting indeed. I've been chatting with a few people on non Pentax forums, and they report that a V860ii battery gets through an entire wedding day on a single charge (no need to even buy a second battery!). That alone is a pretty strong incentive, to be getting away from AA batts.

I cannot really afford a single AD200 at this time, or should I say an AD200 + a speedlight, and I feel I should (at this point) probably grab two speedlights instead of just one AD200 because that way I can be more versatile with lighting set ups. However the AD200 is powerful, and there have been quite a few outdoor HSS moments that I have had to use bare flash with the flash quite close to the subject, something that you wouldn't have to do with an AD200 (can use modifiers and have flash far away from the subject). I'm pondering if buying two speedlights I can actually put them both into a softbox or something and that firing both can generate more power for the shot. Is this a valid thinking approach?

I cannot see from any of the image searches if the Godox V860ii flash has a tripod screw hole somewhere, so that I may bypass the hotshoe mount and connect QR plates to it so that I can use it on lightstands/tripods and flash brackets. This is a crucial part to my flow. It's really nice to be able to quickly dismount the flash from a camera flash bracket and then click it onto a lightstand/tripod etc. I really want to bypass the hotshoe system entirely. Is anyone familiar with the V860ii's? How does it connect to a lightstand, does it have to be hotshoe?

If no screw hole then I might have to reconsider choice of flash. I take it the new Godox trigger can fire other flashes with inbuilt 2.4ghz receivers etc? If so then I need to find one that uses a battery pack battery like the V860ii's with also a tripod screw hole (and is of similar power). Either that or perhaps I should just get the AD200 and be done with it (and then a cheap second flash, possibly optically triggered for now...)

TIA

Bruce

10-07-2018, 02:46 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
What about getting one of those little cold-shoes with a tripod mount hole? You could connect the cold shoe to the QR plate and the flash can go into the cold shoe.
10-07-2018, 02:56 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
What about getting one of those little cold-shoes with a tripod mount hole? You could connect the cold shoe to the QR plate and the flash can go into the cold shoe.
ditto ^^^^

Search on Ebay for "tripod mount flash shoe"

You'll find stuff like this for under $1 (US): Hot Shoe Mount Flash Adapter to 1/4" Thread For Studio Light Stand Tripod Metal | eBay

I have a couple of these, and they are quite versatile (for light weight flashes!).
10-07-2018, 05:56 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You should read the article and view the video here: Game Changer for Pentax - Godox X-Pro Trigger - PentaxForums.com

The AD200 for example would not do TTL but did do HSS with the new trigger.

10-07-2018, 07:13 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
I have those (please see attachment pics), and I have tried that in the past. However you're still stuck with the badly engineered aspect of the weight bearing badly on the hot/coldshoe region, and the whole setup feels even wobblier.

QuoteOriginally posted by AstroDave Quote
ditto ^^^^

Search on Ebay for "tripod mount flash shoe"

You'll find stuff like this for under $1 (US): Hot Shoe Mount Flash Adapter to 1/4" Thread For Studio Light Stand Tripod Metal | eBay

I have a couple of these, and they are quite versatile (for light weight flashes!).
And I think you hit the nail on the head with your 'light weight' comment. Once you add modifiers to the flash even if they aren't overly heavy, the weight and direction of the weight in where it's pulling adds a strain to an already badly engineered bit of kit.

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
You should read the article and view the video here: Game Changer for Pentax - Godox X-Pro Trigger - PentaxForums.com

Thanks, I'll look at that vid shortly.

I've ruled out AD200 as my funds currently stretch to either that or two 'regular' speed lights, and I feel I can manage so much more versatility with two speedlights for different jobs than one AD200, as well as the fact I don't think I can 'run and gun' with an AD200 on my flash bracket (too big).

TTL is important, it can be very handy for those running and gunning moments, I'm sure Godox will fix that issue with the XproP in time.

Currently I am just curious if you could use the XproP with the Godox receiver on another non Godox brand flashes that then perhaps have;

a) lithium batteries
b) 360 degree rotating head
c) lock on the swivel head (didn't mention it before but would be very handy)
d) screw hole for tripod

Anyway, hopefully you can see from my pics what I have currently and how it all works together.

I use the QR plates the most, they offer a stress free (I mean that in an engineering and emotional sense) of docking and releasing of the flash, going between the Camera flash bracket and to a light stand/tripod (I used a small tripod here to illustrate so that it fitted in the shot, in reality that ballhead would be on a taller light stand/tripod). I then have that adapter for hotshoe/cold shoes where on those occasions I wanted to add more flashes to one location in a softbox (still yet to decide on which one to get) then I could do that via the flashes hotshoe (not ideal but I don't think I will use it like that that much.

A Bowen bracket could work also, but then can I fit two flashes in one, without using the hotshoe of the flashes would be ideal. Because if I have to go down the V860ii route (because I really want that lithium battery aspect) then it looks like I have to use the hotshoe of the flash to connect a QR plate to it, and then if having to use some other adapter to get two flashes into a softbox/umbrella that uses the flashes hotshoe... that's gonna get annoying real quick having to remove the already anchored QR plate (and finding somewhere to put the QR plate in the mean time.. ie I'll lose them lol).
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 5s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 5s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 5s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 5s  Photo 
10-07-2018, 11:35 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
However you're still stuck with the badly engineered aspect of the weight bearing badly on the hot/coldshoe region, and the whole setup feels even wobblier.
I detest working with small plastic/metal cold shoes. Even the FRIO is fiddly and feels weak to me, and that is one of the better solutions around. Then get one of these Manfrotto snap tilt heads, nothing flimsy about this flash shoe*...I myself have tried just about everything on the market for on location work, though these heads are very robust but that also means expensive.

They can be found for $85~ $60 each here in Australia, being a commercial photographer I bought several of them at once and got a discount.

*Fair warning though when I got mine the shoe clamp was a bit wobbly, There is a hex key screw under the spring holding the clamp jaws open - this can be tightened to eliminate the wobble. Many people don't know this and give bad reviews, a bit of technical insight could have eliminated this. Also they don't fit standard spigots - you have to get one of these:

The Manfrotto 119 spigot adapter - flat on the spigot allows the snap tilt head to clip on and clamp down - preventing the head from twisting in either direction if heavy light modifiers are used on it.

You can buy these in a pack of eight for $20 depending on retailer.

Last edited by Digitalis; 10-07-2018 at 11:58 PM.
10-08-2018, 12:24 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster

Had a chance to watch the vid now and read the article. So as of yet we have no confirmation the XproP even supports the V680ii with HSS and TTL, but really.. one has to wonder if Godox would even support the development of the XproP if it wasn't gonna support all the features that Canikony get. So I'm having a certain amount of faith that by the end of the calendar year it will all be ironed out (including full AD200 support).

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I detest working with small plastic/metal cold shoes. Even the FRIO is fiddly and feels weak to me, and that is one of the better solutions around. Then get one of these Manfrotto snap tilt heads, nothing flimsy about this flash shoe*...I myself have tried just about everything on the market for on location work, though these heads are very robust but that also means expensive.

They can be found for $85~ $60 each here in Australia, being a commercial photographer I bought several of them at once and got a discount.

*Fair warning though when I got mine the shoe clamp was a bit wobbly, There is a hex key screw under the spring holding the clamp jaws open - this can be tightened to eliminate the wobble. Many people don't know this and give bad reviews, a bit of technical insight could have eliminated this. Also they don't fit standard spigots - you have to get one of these:

The Manfrotto 119 spigot adapter - flat on the spigot allows the snap tilt head to clip on and clamp down - preventing the head from twisting in either direction if heavy light modifiers are used on it.

You can buy these in a pack of eight for $20 depending on retailer.
Thanks for that, I'll look into it.

I own a few clamps and stuff that fit on light stands, so I kinda know what you mean by these, but really it's all been about the ease of avoiding the hotshoe of the flash and using a QR plate, the Joby system of QR plates was working amazingly well, till the 3K ballhead started to ooze oil and lost it's firm grip and developed a horizontal panning wobble :'( (returned it for a refund at camerahouse).

I can see one of those manfrotto head things work well in the flash bracket, because really all i need it to do is change in exactly that one plane of direction (vs the omni direction ballhead, which I find more useful for the lightstand stuff). I'll definitely have a peep at that part! Thanks again!

10-08-2018, 12:34 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
the Joby system of QR plates was working amazingly well, till the 3K ballhead started to ooze oil and lost it's firm grip and developed a horizontal panning wobble
I have students that use Joby products - it appears to be a common issue for them. Good design, less than stellar execution.
10-08-2018, 12:44 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I have students that use Joby products - it appears to be a common issue for them. Good design, less than stellar execution.
Was an odd experience, I have since learned that it's a 'thing'.

My SLR Zoom/Hybrid Joby is fine, I mean it's only rated I think to 1k, and even when I had less weight on that from day one, once u tightned it would pan down a tad, annoying but for flashes etc wasn't a concern, and that one isn't leaking or got any worse. But the 3k one, despite having a far superior (initial) grip on the camera (it didn't pan down much if at all), it does seem to break down over time, mine took 2 months to really ooze and under perform. Shame.
10-08-2018, 02:06 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster

On a side note, hows that monopod review coming along? I'm still narrowing down my choices!
10-08-2018, 07:25 AM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
On a side note, hows that monopod review coming along? I'm still narrowing down my choices!
Slow. My wife is in Europe for 3 weeks leaving me all the work of two! I'm a quasi single parent during this time. Review is back burner. Still preliminary data is good. It works better than anticipated.
10-09-2018, 01:53 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Rather than start a new thread I thought I'd continue this one with a slight deviation.

I started a new thread hehe; Small Flash Suggestions - PentaxForums.com

I have now come to realise that with the Godox V860ii, the tripod screw hole that it uses is actually on the plastic feet that attach into the hotshoe of the flash (although the tripod screw hole is actually at least metal). This makes it a difficult 'run and gun' flash. I'm not a fan of using a heavy flash (which this is said to be) with additional weight added via modifiers (magmod sphere as well as the maggrip), that stress is now on the hotshoe of the flash and onto the plastic feet and then docking into something like a flash bracket... I sincerely doubt I'll be using a swivel ball head on my flash bracket as before, it would just start to be way too much of a ridiculous wobbly 'tower'.

So, the V860ii is starting to look a lot like a OCF only, and not something that would easily be applied in a running and gunning scenario. So I'm turning my attention to perhaps another second flash alternative, this time in mind with purely 'running and gunning' application.

Now thus far I have owned a FGZ 540II (and sold it) as well as a Metz 44-AF2 (sold that too). Both of those flashes were heavy and required to be in the hotshoe of the K-1 which I never liked, or use a cable and have perhaps in hand or in a flash bracket, but really because they lacked the inbuilt wireless receiver tech (and I was never overly fond of the idea of using a Cactus V6ii as a reciever, ie i want to avoid hotshoe and stacking as much as possible) I sold them.

But now I am curious to explore other small flashes, perhaps super light ones, even fairly under powered ones that might still really suit that 'running and gunning' scenario. These flashes might not even support TTL or HSS, something that can either sit in my flash bracket (as pictured above) or indeed the hotshoe of the K-1 and simply take a magsphere to provide a better softer shot than using bare.
The kinda scenario I see myself using this flash would be evening receptions at weddings, or basically indoor, for proper outdoor shots I would likely use OCF and the V860ii (or even skip this flash and go straight to a AD200).

Now I am the first to admit I haven't even looked into all the different kinda flashes that might tick those box of requirements, but can any of you recommend or chime in with any experience of some of the smaller flashes? For example ones like these;

Pentax AF201FG Flash 30458 B&H Photo Video

Metz mecablitz 26 AF-2 Flash for Pentax Cameras MZ 26337PEN B&H

The only thing I would need to check is;

a) that the Maggrip can fit around the flash and stay tight (typically I think that will work, even for quite small flash heads)
b) that whatever flash I get, could I use a cable to run from the K-1 Hotshoe, to the flash bracket (and therefore flash), just so I might not have to have it on the K-1 if I am concerned over the K-1 hotshoe taking too much weight strain (as I will be 99% of the time using a bagbounce or magsphere with it. I have seen pictures of K-1's hotshoe 'peeling' away from teh camera body :'( I want to void this happening at all costs).

Last edited by BruceBanner; 10-10-2018 at 01:59 AM.
10-10-2018, 01:26 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

Hello,

I can suggest you two flashes:
* Metz 52 AF-1. It's not a really big flash and have a metal shoe. I have the 48 af-1, the previous version, and it's a durable flash, not very small, not very big, powerful enough... ugly interface. I think it's an interesting option.
* Godox TT350 series, it's a really small flash, GN 36, metal shoe. I have seen that Godox have released a TT350P. Compatible with X Godox protocol (2.4GHz radio)

I've been searching too for a small but powerfull enough flash, and I liked a lot the TT350 series.
About difussers for main PTTL flash, I use a simple bounce card, the 'demb saucer flip-it', super light.

Regards.
10-10-2018, 02:06 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by morenjavi Quote
Hello,

I can suggest you two flashes:
* Metz 52 AF-1. It's not a really big flash and have a metal shoe. I have the 48 af-1, the previous version, and it's a durable flash, not very small, not very big, powerful enough... ugly interface. I think it's an interesting option.
* Godox TT350 series, it's a really small flash, GN 36, metal shoe. I have seen that Godox have released a TT350P. Compatible with X Godox protocol (2.4GHz radio)

I've been searching too for a small but powerfull enough flash, and I liked a lot the TT350 series.
About difussers for main PTTL flash, I use a simple bounce card, the 'demb saucer flip-it', super light.

Regards.
I think the Metx 52 AF-1 is too large looking at pics, it's maybe what I would call medium-large sized, I'm rather drifting towards small-medium. I'm almost basing my buying decisions on the amount of AA or AAA batteries, with 4 being too much.

The Godox TT350 however looks very interesting, and I can see they have only just released a Pentax version (as you pointed out), that's great. Takes two AA batteries and can even do HSS, it's bound to work with the XproP (which I plan to get, so I could even perhaps get it comfortably on my flash bracket again, and of course use it in conjunction with the AD200).
I'll have to look more into that one for sure! Thanks.
10-10-2018, 02:21 AM   #15
Pentaxian

The Godox TT350 however looks very interesting, and I can see they have only just released a Pentax version (as you pointed out), that's great. Takes two AA batteries and can even do HSS, it's bound to work with the XproP (which I plan to get, so I could even perhaps get it comfortably on my flash bracket again, and of course use it in conjunction with the AD200).
I have read on the Godox site that this small flash have master capabilities, and can control a AD200 flash (and others). So for simple setups with the flash on the hotshoe, you don't need any extra XPro trigger.