Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-10-2018, 04:42 AM   #1

Speedlight advice please

My photography class is soon expected to use a speedlight, and I have been reading up on the manual and automation options.
I use K5ii and the lens most often on the camera is Pentax-A 50mm, SMC DA 35mm, SMC DA 50-200mm
Our classwork involves portrait, action, still life, panning, zooming so I am considering a higher budget so I can afford the lighting that I need.

My tutor doesn't have experience with Pentax so I'm looking for advice on what to look for in reviews.

Budget £70 for manual, + for auto.

I am thinking of getting a remote intervalometer which is WiFi based, the Hahlnel Giga T Pro II Interval Timer/Wireless for canon.

I am going to use it in bulb mode, when no additional lighting will be needed.

It's capable of being programmed, so could this work with a speedlight and in what kind of shot?

Last edited by Patricia1066; 10-10-2018 at 04:47 AM.
10-10-2018, 05:08 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Hi! I'm not familiar with the intervalometer you mention, so cannot comment. I'll say that I would suggest getting more familiar with flash lighting before diving into more advanced stuff like intervalometers.

If you want a purely manual flash, I'd suggest either something simple like a Yongnuo manual flash, which will fit your budget, or something like a Godox V850, which offers the added bonus of using Li-Ion batteries. This makes recycle times much much faster, amazingly so. I believe Yongnuo just announced a similar flash, but I'm not sure if it's available. Some older flashes like the Pentax FTZ550 or even a Vivitar 285HV can be fuond used and work well. Cactus offers a nice versatile product but it's more expensive.

If you want a PTTL flash, then you have many options. Shanny and I believe Yongnuo both offer PTTL flashes, these will be comparatively inexpensive. Or you can select a Pentax flash. The 360 V2 is small, low power, but versatile. The 540 V2 is powerful and reliable. Both are WR, offer video LED lights, and work well. However, I find their menus to be a bit complex (I always have to look in the manual to switch between optical slave and wireless PTTL, for instance, it's far from intuitive).

Sigma makes cheap and decent flashes, however their build quality isn't the best and their interface is cumbersome.

Metz is my favourite brand. Their flashes are compact, superbly assembled, their menus are simple and, if you go with the 52AF-1 (my choice) or the 64 something, you'll get a touchscreen interface which isn't always the fastest, but is always the most intuitive. The 52 AF-1 is my main flash, and I've used quite a few. You can read a review here:

Metz 52 AF-1 Flash Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

I hope this helped!
10-10-2018, 07:21 AM   #3

Original Poster
Bernard, votre photographie c'est tres bonne.
Forgive my french, I am out of practice.

Occasionally Metz comes up on eBay here in UK, Mecablitz 52 AF-1 is available at a reasonable price, I'm seriously considering it
10-10-2018, 08:22 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Patricia1066 Quote
Bernard, votre photographie c'est tres bonne.
Forgive my french, I am out of practice.
Forgiven, and thanks!

I hope you enjoy exploring the world of flash photography!

10-10-2018, 08:57 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

A good source of information about flash photography is Strobist

He is primarily concerned with off-camera flash, but its still worth a read.
10-10-2018, 09:03 AM - 1 Like   #6
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I would suggest getting current-gen Godox XPro stuff. Their AA battery-powered manual flashes (TT600) are dirt cheap and well-made. Their wireless system is very good and also very cheap. You can get two manual speedlights and a trigger (XPro-P) with full wireless control of power levels for the price of a single Metz. For portraiture and still life, you're going to want to be able to move the light off of the camera, so good wireless capability is super important.

The reason to go Godox is that you're buying into a system that can grow as you grow. The high output Godox studio strobes all use the same wireless trigger as the humble speedlights, so as your needs develop you can supplement your speedlights or mix-and-match without rebuying anything.

Invest in a decent light meter, too, if your class doesn't provide them. Manual flashes don't do any of the work for you, so learning how to meter will save you a ton of trial and error during setup. It doesn't have to be fancy. I use a Minolta flash meter that was new in 1980.

There's a compact TTL speedlight for Pentax in the Godox wireless system coming out in the next month or so. You don't need TTL for studio work, only for fast-moving, uncontrolled environments - event/ wedding photography. The option will be there soon.
10-10-2018, 01:01 PM - 1 Like   #7

For the flash and considering your budget, my advice is the Yongnuo YN585EX.

Best regards,
10-10-2018, 03:13 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would recommend the Yongnuo YN585-EX (for Pentax). I have one along with my (3) AF360FGZ Pentax flashes. It is very reliable, it supports Pentax TTL (through the lens metering), and the head swivels side to side and up/down. It provides excellent results, comes with a nice case and is sold at a good price. Below is a shortcut to a listing of the product.

amazon.com : YONGNUO YN585EX Wireless Camera Flash Speedlite with P-TTL Function for Pentax Digital Cameras : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&

10-10-2018, 03:43 PM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Hi! I'm not familiar with the intervalometer you mention, so cannot comment. I'll say that I would suggest getting more familiar with flash lighting before diving into more advanced stuff like intervalometers.

If you want a purely manual flash, I'd suggest either something simple like a Yongnuo manual flash, which will fit your budget, or something like a Godox V850, which offers the added bonus of using Li-Ion batteries. This makes recycle times much much faster, amazingly so. I believe Yongnuo just announced a similar flash, but I'm not sure if it's available. Some older flashes like the Pentax FTZ550 or even a Vivitar 285HV can be fuond used and work well. Cactus offers a nice versatile product but it's more expensive.

If you want a PTTL flash, then you have many options. Shanny and I believe Yongnuo both offer PTTL flashes, these will be comparatively inexpensive. Or you can select a Pentax flash. The 360 V2 is small, low power, but versatile. The 540 V2 is powerful and reliable. Both are WR, offer video LED lights, and work well. However, I find their menus to be a bit complex (I always have to look in the manual to switch between optical slave and wireless PTTL, for instance, it's far from intuitive).

Sigma makes cheap and decent flashes, however their build quality isn't the best and their interface is cumbersome.

Metz is my favourite brand. Their flashes are compact, superbly assembled, their menus are simple and, if you go with the 52AF-1 (my choice) or the 64 something, you'll get a touchscreen interface which isn't always the fastest, but is always the most intuitive. The 52 AF-1 is my main flash, and I've used quite a few. You can read a review here:

Metz 52 AF-1 Flash Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

I hope this helped!
Gosh, it you could use the Vivitar 285, I certainly would. Great flash, and easy to use. I have six of them, along with umbrellas light stands and background.
Terry
10-11-2018, 09:23 AM   #10

Original Poster
I checked on Amazon UK, and this model is unavailable.
@dharriman YN585EX is available in UK, £61 on Amazon and seems to cover my needs and budget.
10-11-2018, 07:24 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Patricia1066 Quote
I checked on Amazon UK, and this model is unavailable.
@dharriman YN585EX is available in UK, £61 on Amazon and seems to cover my needs and budget.
Excellent choice Patricia. That is the flash I was referring to. I used mine today.
10-24-2018, 02:54 AM   #12

Original Poster
Thank you for your advice, and for the extraordinary community here. I hope I can pass it on once I have skills and experience.

I now have a secondhand Pentax AF-360FGZ and I am reading the manual to understand how to use it. It was a generous gift from a forum member.

It's a different option to the newer speedlights I was considering, and suits the k5ii as it's of same generation tech.

My class has covered exercises on shutter speed eg panning and freeze motion, ISO and exposure, soon to do studio lighting. I have not been doing creative photography just these exploratory shoots examining how changing the f-stop or ISO alters the picture.

It's hectic, but I'm learning a lot.