Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-12-2018, 03:56 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Got some Cactus V6iis

I thought I'd try them out with my K-1 and either Metz 58 AF-1 or Sigma 530 Super and see if I can get HSS going for either.

Should I update the trigger firmwares? I just tried it without reading or doing anything to see if they would just work out of the box with my Metz.
It fires the first time I take a shot but not after until I turn them off and back on. I'll try more tonight but I thought I'd see what the recommended approach is. Thanks!

10-12-2018, 10:58 PM   #2
sbc
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Could you install the Pentax TTL firmware and try? I could not get it to work properly with my K-5IIS and AF540FGZII.
10-13-2018, 12:39 AM   #3

Yes, you will need to update them using the Cactus web site with the Pentax update launched a few months ago
10-13-2018, 05:31 AM   #4
Pentaxian

When using a Metz flash on a V6II receiver, you need to select a compatible flash profile on the receiver manually.

The automatic detection doesn't work with Metz flashes.

BTW, I hope you've got V6II units, not V6IIs units. The latter are for Sony.

10-13-2018, 06:44 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I assumed he'd missed out an apostrophe. For two Sony versions it would have to be "some V6IIs's"

Matt, you'll be up and running soon. Get the firmwares and profiles set up and it'll be good to go. Remember you have a choice of either the "XTTL" or "multibrand" firmware types. Assuming might want to try both P-TTL automatic flash metering as well as Manual mode (both modes offer HSS) then go for the "XTTL" type .....I believe the latest is PEN.A003.
10-13-2018, 07:02 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Right, two v6ii units, not the iis! I'll see what I can do with them today.
10-13-2018, 11:12 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Ok, I think I have the Metz working, at least for test shots. Power Sync looks pretty nice, lots of power!
The Sigma seems to be off for the sync. The flash goes off but you don't see it in the photo.

10-13-2018, 11:31 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Hi, for us to really be able to help you'll have to specify exactly the firmware versions you installed, plus exactly the Camera System / Flash system settings on the Tx unit, plus the Flash System settings on the Rx units.

They are both P-TTL flashes (I assume), so the Flash system should be "Pentax", but as ClassA said earlier you have to manually choose the flash itself. If a specific flash is not listed then I think you have the option of "Auto Pentax" to try.

If you are running the XTTL firmware then on the Tx your Sync Mode setting should be on "Normal HSS" (in the Functions menu).

BTW, a quick check on the Cactus V6II webpage compatibility chart :
"Pentax
P-TTL
The following flashes are not supported:
  • Sigma EF-610 DG ST for PTTL"
But you have the "Super" version, so I guess that's OK .... its the one that has HSS anyway.

Last edited by mcgregni; 10-13-2018 at 11:46 AM.