Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
10-14-2018, 12:16 PM - 2 Likes   #16

Photos: Gallery
We as Pentax users can just get the same result for a tenner.....!! Just attach a softbox to your normal flash gun. Same result. No need for a Profoto mortgage. Though I do hate the eye highlight these ringflash type things leave..

Last edited by stub; 11-30-2018 at 02:20 PM.
10-14-2018, 01:06 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stub Quote
We as Pentax users can just get the same result for a tenner.....!! Just attach a softbox to your normal flash gun. Same result. No need for a Profoto mortgage. Though I do hate the eye highlight these ringflash type things leave..
Yeah @Unclevanya put me onto one of these things last night, RoundFlash comes well received indeed! Personally I love the catchlight, it's one of the benefits!
10-14-2018, 04:51 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
I can't even see them for sale anywhere
On this page:
Find dealer, rental, distributor or service station
Pop in Sydney to find dealer or rental.
10-15-2018, 03:45 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That ring-light modifier looks like a good place to start - I'd expect you would lose a considerable amount of flash power when using it though.

Here is a quick portrait of one of my assistants purely lit with the Pentax AF160FC ringflash:

Pentax K-1 - SMCP-FA77mm f/1.8 Limited - ISO 100 1/200th @ f/5.6 AF160FC Ringflash at 1/8th power.

It can be problematic lighting faces of models that are wearing glasses* . The lenses can often cast hotspots,reflections, and the frames themselves can create unattractive, distracting shadows upon the subjects face - the use of ringflash allowed me to deftly side-step this issue.

* Reflective sunglasses are the worst.

10-15-2018, 06:10 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
That ring-light modifier looks like a good place to start - I'd expect you would lose a considerable amount of flash power when using it though.

Here is a quick portrait of one of my assistants purely lit with the Pentax AF160FC ringflash:

Pentax K-1 - SMCP-FA77mm f/1.8 Limited - ISO 100 1/200th @ f/5.6 AF160FC Ringflash at 1/8th power.

It can be problematic lighting faces of models that are wearing glasses* . The lenses can often cast hotspots,reflections, and the frames themselves can create unattractive, distracting shadows upon the subjects face - the use of ringflash allowed me to deftly side-step this issue.

* Reflective sunglasses are the worst.
Same, I was thinking the 360II should still provide enough grunt to punch through however. It might get problematic if using gels as well tho...

From what I have seen of that roundflash softbox tho, is that if you use 31-35mm lenses then the shots up close give that unique ring catchlight, whereas taking the shot further back akin to your assistant pic with the FA77 you get a less pronounced ring, almost just a single dot. So the lenses and closeness to the subject all changes and impacts the ring, for those that aren't a fan of it I would argue it becomes less of an issue if you simply increase your distance a bit. The only question for me is if using the FA77 and HSS stuff, will the 360II punch through enough when the subject is 3-4m back etc... Guess I'll find out.
With other lenses like 35's and 50's I don't think power from that flash will be such an issue.

Nice shot of your assistant by the way, I want to work for you

The thing I most like about the ring flash (or roundflash softbox) is the way it handles the behind shadows cast from the shot, they are definitely interesting 'hidden' shadows, almost like a 'dark halo' which in the right setting and scenario you're aiming for (grungy/edgy etc) I think it looks pretty swell!

I'm curious as well to shooting at carnival type events with the roundflash, I recall seeing this guy shoot Sammy here and he was rocking this combo;

And I've thought about going down that route also, even possibly with the cactus RF60x so holding the roundflash softbox off to the side as well. The possibilities are endless, guess it's all learning curve stuff.
10-16-2018, 04:08 AM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
And I've thought about going down that route also, even possibly with the cactus RF60x so holding the roundflash softbox off to the side as well. The possibilities are endless, guess it's all learning curve stuff.
I remember that I tested a similar setup some years ago, when I was starting with all the strobist thing.
During a walk with the family, I got my camera, a cheap trigger-recevier set, and a combo made of:
a small chinesse traslucent umbrella
a cheap speedlight
a flash bracket

So I grabbed the combo with the left hand, and my camera with the right hand. I set up the camera for ambient light, and underexposed a bit. The flash had fixed power (only basic triggering at that time, no Cactus, no Godox...), so I calculated the needed power for around 1,5m distance to my subject, and keeped such distance during the shooting.
Not bad results, way better than direct flash with or without a small diffuser, the key obviously is to have a very light combo, to avoid ending exhausted if you plan to shoot during hours.
Lastolite have a couple of combos similar to what I used - Lastolite brolly grip. I think that there is a version of the godox-s bracket with a grip.

Regards.
Attached Images

10-16-2018, 05:53 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by morenjavi Quote
I remember that I tested a similar setup some years ago, when I was starting with all the strobist thing.
During a walk with the family, I got my camera, a cheap trigger-recevier set, and a combo made of:
a small chinesse traslucent umbrella
a cheap speedlight
a flash bracket

So I grabbed the combo with the left hand, and my camera with the right hand. I set up the camera for ambient light, and underexposed a bit. The flash had fixed power (only basic triggering at that time, no Cactus, no Godox...), so I calculated the needed power for around 1,5m distance to my subject, and keeped such distance during the shooting.
Not bad results, way better than direct flash with or without a small diffuser, the key obviously is to have a very light combo, to avoid ending exhausted if you plan to shoot during hours.
Lastolite have a couple of combos similar to what I used - Lastolite brolly grip. I think that there is a version of the godox-s bracket with a grip.

Regards.
That is a lovely result ....soft because your diffuser was close in. Now, the important question here, how good would it look if you'd shot it with the round ring flash thing on the camera instead ...? Let's hear from a few people, come on. .....

10-16-2018, 07:44 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
... The AF160FC as I recall can only be used with lenses with front filter diameters from 49mm ~ 62mm.
Adapters to larger front filter diameters can be used, but to avoid vignetting care must be taken that the f/# chosen is high enough to keep the effective lens aperture diameter projected from the corners of the film plane (or digital sensor array) within the inner diameter of the adapter and ring flash assembly. As this might be f/11, desired portrait bokeh might not be achieved. For the purpose of studio shots of objects, a plain background can be used instead.
10-16-2018, 04:33 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
That is a lovely result ....soft because your diffuser was close in. Now, the important question here, how good would it look if you'd shot it with the round ring flash thing on the camera instead ...? Let's hear from a few people, come on. .....
My 360II arrived, and having previously owned a 540II I can definitely say I prefer this little fella. Wow.. so much smaller and lighter, and it feels very comfortable in the hotshoe on the K-1. My only concern now is that perhaps it lacks the necessary power to penetrate a Roundflash softbox sufficiently, but I guess we'll find that out in due course...

The AF201 also arrived, my god... it's the darn cutest thing I have ever seen... like... ever
10-16-2018, 04:42 PM - 1 Like   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kaseki Quote
Adapters to larger front filter diameters can be used
They certainly can, up to an extent: I use the SMCP-FA* 200mm f/4 ED [IF] Macro and the Sigma 180mm f/3.5 both of these lenses have a 67mm filter diamerter and with the appropriate adapter can be used with the AF160FC without issue. Wide lenses on the other hand will be problematic, I'd say anything approaching 24mm on the K-1 [and the APS-C equivalent 16mm] will have the flash unit show up in the corners - stopping down cannot eliminate this.
10-16-2018, 07:43 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
They certainly can, up to an extent: I use the SMCP-FA* 200mm f/4 ED [IF] Macro and the Sigma 180mm f/3.5 both of these lenses have a 67mm filter diamerter and with the appropriate adapter can be used with the AF160FC without issue. Wide lenses on the other hand will be problematic, I'd say anything approaching 24mm on the K-1 [and the APS-C equivalent 16mm] will have the flash unit show up in the corners - stopping down cannot eliminate this.
Agreed. Extreme angle lenses have large physical optics over which a small aperture is mapped with field angle. The reduction in the diameter of utilized optics glass with increasing f/number is relatively modest. Also, because some of the flash assembly extends past the lens assembly, blockage of extreme angles is likely.

I have only used the AF-140C with the SMC Pentax FA 645 Macro 1:4 120mm lens. (67 - 55 mm mismatch) For more details, see: PENTAX AF 140C Macro Flash reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

The OP may find a lot to consider in this recently revisited post https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/125-flashes-lighting-studio/376030-light...l-flowers.html

Last edited by kaseki; 10-16-2018 at 07:53 PM.