Show Printable Version 17 Likes Search this Thread
10-23-2018, 10:04 PM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I still have some white Eneloops but slowly switching to Ladda 2450
Use Panasonic individual charger.

10-24-2018, 02:37 PM   #32

Charger-wise, back in 2007, I fell a-victim to the Strobist, and ended up with a LaCross BC-900 and LaCross BC-1000 rechargers. There are probably much nicer rechargers out there today. Having a smart recharger is good, so you can actually test/condition your batteries, as well as control how quickly you're recharging them (faster reduces life).
10-24-2018, 03:19 PM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by inkista Quote
There are probably much nicer rechargers out there today.
Not really.

I have the Maha Powerex MH-C800S which is great because it can charge eight (AA or AAA) cells in parallel and has a soft-charging mode.

BTW, for flashes and triggers, the "Strobist" recommendations should be ignored. They are outdated and reflect a conflict of interest. There are much better options available nowadays.
10-24-2018, 08:30 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I grabbed this charger as well, which wasn't on the site.

'Ready For Use' my a$$, they all needed 2hrs charge to get to max, most of them showing empty from the get go...

---------- Post added 10-25-18 at 02:41 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
For the Cactus flash, you'll need a Canon-compatible cable. Should be part of a PB960 deal or available as an accessory.

One of the "improvements" Pentax implemented for the FGZ II models is to eliminate the external power pack connector so you won't be able to externally power the Pentax flash.
Oh what?! That's rubbish!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
10-25-2018, 04:00 AM - 1 Like   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For the Cactus flash, you'll need a Canon-compatible cable. Should be part of a PB960 deal or available as an accessory.

One of the "improvements" Pentax implemented for the FGZ II models is to eliminate the external power pack connector so you won't be able to externally power the Pentax flash.
The Cactus RF60X flashes have a separate battery pack (EP-1) available for a modest price (~$50). Batteries and charger are extra. This pack reportedly supplies 330 Vdc to the flash. This is the same voltage used by many other flashes, including the earlier Pentax AF-500FTZ flashes. The Cactus battery pack supplies this voltage via a cable with a Canon compatible plug.

For those owning older Quantum Turbo Batteries, the Canon CZ2 cable should work for the Cactus flashes. I will prove or disprove this in a couple of days and report. Used Quantum Turbo Battery assemblies, cables, charger modules, and replacement internal batteries where needed will be a higher cost than the Cactus EP-1 plus batteries, I expect, but if a QTB is already available, then obtaining a cable may be the lowest cost option. I will also try to determine whether the QTB recharge performance is comparable to the rated Cactus performance. The EP-1 performance is listed as 1.2s, so small differences will require a more complex measurement than I'm likely to have time for in the short term.
10-25-2018, 02:23 PM - 1 Like   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Preliminary experiments using two Quantum Turbo Battery units, one being the 4 green light type (newer) and one being of the 3 green light + 1 red light type (older)*, both last charged a few weeks ago and not used until today, showed about the same results. Recharge of the RF60X from flash to "TEST" light "on" was within about 2.5 seconds*** at 100% power. The QTB uses a sealed lead acid battery.

According to the RF60X User Manual, the recharge time using only the internal LR6 Alkaline batteries should be 2.5s, but I obtain 4.5s on [presumed**] new Duracell batteries. The listed time for internal HR6 Ni-metal hydride batteries is 1.9s. I don't have any at the moment, so I can't confirm this value. I also have no information clarifying how recharge time is defined by Cactus. The test light circuit could potentially have some delay between effective full charge and button illumination.

In any case, use of the QTB as a supplemental battery appears to provide a significant recharge time improvement over the internal alkaline batteries. I would expect Cactus' EP-1 to behave similarly.

Note: I obtained three used CZ2-type cables, two appear to be CZ and one appears to be CZ2 type. The differences do not matter for my purposes, and made no difference in charging the flash.

Last edited by kaseki; 10-25-2018 at 02:35 PM.
10-25-2018, 08:44 PM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kaseki Quote
The listed time for internal HR6 Ni-metal hydride batteries is 1.9s. I don't have any at the moment, so I can't confirm this value.
I get 1.9s with my Sanyo Eneloops.
A value of 4.5s seems very slow. Normal Alkaline batteries should support a recycle time of 2.5s.

I would expect Cactus' EP-1 to behave similarly.
The EP-1 reduces the 1.9s a bit, but not much. The main advantage of using this power pack is to increase longevity; it doesn't do much for recycle speed.

10-26-2018, 07:35 AM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I get 1.9s with my Sanyo Eneloops.
A value of 4.5s seems very slow. Normal Alkaline batteries should support a recycle time of 2.5s.

The EP-1 reduces the 1.9s a bit, but not much. The main advantage of using this power pack is to increase longevity; it doesn't do much for recycle speed.
The spec sheet actually says 2 seconds for the EP-1 and 1.9s for the internal batteries... Lol. So clearly it is meant mainly to extend life of the session.
10-26-2018, 07:49 AM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

4.5 seconds

I need to test my other two RF60X units also to confirm the performance I'm seeing. Also, these LR6 alkaline batteries are not photoflash tailored, so they may be built with more than desirable internal resistance. Or wherever I sourced them may be selling extremely old batteries. More to follow...
10-27-2018, 04:24 AM - 1 Like   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
The spec sheet actually says 2 seconds for the EP-1...
Actually, it says "approximately 2s". I'm sure the power pack isn't meant to increase recycling time.

If I remember my tests correctly, there was an ever so slight decrease in recycling time when using the EP-1.
10-27-2018, 04:25 AM   #41
Pentaxian

Also, these LR6 alkaline batteries are not photoflash tailored, so they may be built with more than desirable internal resistance.
Yeah, I guess it's the battery type.;
10-27-2018, 10:15 AM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My other two RF60X flashes using the same Duracell MN1500 LR6 AA battery type (from probably the same package) also recover in 4 to 5 seconds (not closely timed). Battery indicator indicates full batteries. I haven't been out yet to get some photoflash AAs yet to compare.

I would speculate, however, that practical measurement to tenths of seconds to establish the published numbers is based on an oscilloscope reading of the voltage on the flash capacitor.
10-28-2018, 07:08 AM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The 8 cell charger I have lists 500ma as the charging rate. It has a discharge and charge feature and does each battery individually. I've never had any issues except for some 900ma solar landscape light batteries I wanted to refresh. Some of these started to vent gas and so I removed them to an outside location to cool before trying them in the lights again.
10-28-2018, 09:44 PM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A set of locally available Duracell HR6 NiMH AA batteries brought the RF60X recharge time down to approximately 2.5 seconds. (One flash tested on new newly charged cells.) No Alkaline photoflash batteries were to be found locally. When I find time I'll try to measure the actual capacitor charge time with a 'scope if the CZ cables provide voltage access as I expect.

My longer term intent is to obtain Eneloop Pro batteries for this purpose.
10-28-2018, 10:27 PM - 1 Like   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I too just bought a pack of LADDA 2450 from Ikea and the 12 pc charger last week too.