Photos: Gallery | Albums
Relevant link to flash battery performance:
BEST BATTERIES FOR YOUR SPEEDLIGHTS: A SHOWDOWN | Improve Photography

11-02-2018, 12:37 PM - 1 Like   #47
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

RF60X recharge time measurement

A Quantum CZ cable provides access to the flash charge, but only when it is attached to an operating Quantum Turbo Battery (QTB). In other words, the Cactus RF60X supply pins are protected, likely by diodes, so one can only observe the flash capacitor voltage indirectly by measuring the voltage on the output of the QTB when connected to the flash. The QTB used was of the older type. Access to the conductors was provided by a Quantum QT-48 dual output cable accessory, with the other branch connected to a Pentax flash compatible cable (aftermarket QTS-4). The flash end of the Pentax cable was connected to a 10X oscilloscope probe.

My observations are based on observing a Hitachi V422 (old school analog) 'scope trace at 0.2 sec/major division. The flash was set to 1/1.

Powering the flash with NiMH batteries in the flash and the QTB externally, apparent full charge is reached in about 1.4s. The test light illuminates at roughly 1.8s, while the beep is a few tenths later. A digitizing 'scope would be better for this task, but I don't have one.

Observationally, I am convinced that the test light is a very conservative measure of actual charge time at full flash power. All 1/1 measurements, whether performed with little rest time, or significant rest time, showed the same delay between apparent full charge and test light illumination with the QTB. However, at a 1/2 power setting, the test light barely fades before re-illuminating, suggesting that there is a bit of a storage time constant in the lamp circuit that works on both rising and falling flash capacitor voltage. Without the QTB, recharge is longer in the 1/2 setting, and the test lamp full extinguishes before re-illuminating. The beep however, seems to occur at the same time as re-illumination at 1/2 power.
11-04-2018, 03:33 AM - 1 Like   #48
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Thanks everyone for the input, I grabbed the following;
A few of these; LADDA Rechargeable battery - IKEA
A few of these; LADDA Rechargeable battery - IKEA
And one of this; STORHÖGEN Battery charger with storage - IKEA
Should do for the time being. I will look at the Godox PB960 when funds allow!
I wouldn't recommend the Storhögen charger. It doesn't terminate the charging process safely, so your cells are possibly exposed to overcharge.
Review of Charger Ikea Storhogen 603.306.50

What i do recommend is an universal charger whcih allows to recharge NiMh (AA/AAA) and Li-Ion (18650/21500) cells.
Most of them even show some more information (voltage, loaded capacity, resistance).
Round cell charger index (Universal)
Review of Charger Review Charger GyrFalcon All-88 2017
Review of Charger Miboxer C8 Smart charger
11-04-2018, 08:30 AM   #49
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
eneloops.

10-10-2019, 01:58 PM   #50
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Can anyone please advise?
Towards which solution/setup changes did this thread lead you?
10-10-2019, 02:15 PM   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
Towards which solution/setup changes did this thread lead you?
This is the current thread, have a catchup here if you like; Fully Wired Studio Setup - PentaxForums.com

Like all good threads it started off in one direction and has now gone in a completely different one
10-10-2019, 02:21 PM   #52
Pentaxian

So your batteries and chargers are off duty now?
Maybe use them inside the AA-tray of the battery grips

10-10-2019, 06:03 PM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
So your batteries and chargers are off duty now?
Maybe use them inside the AA-tray of the battery grips
Nah because I am still with the Cactus system also, using the triggers and RF60x units which are all AA's.
10-11-2019, 12:38 AM - 1 Like   #54
Pentaxian

Seriously guys, one thing I loved when I changed my speedlights collection for Godox flashes was to forget about so many AA-sized batteries.
Now I use only batteries for my triggers and my metz 48, that is on sale
10-18-2019, 06:06 AM   #55
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
With high ISO available today, I find that I rarely use my flashes (as an experienced, rank amateur). I use Energizer Ultimate Lithium which have a 20 year shelf life. I store them removed from, but with, the flashes.
10-18-2019, 08:05 AM   #56
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
With high ISO available today, I find that I rarely use my flashes (as an experienced, rank amateur). I use Energizer Ultimate Lithium which have a 20 year shelf life. I store them removed from, but with, the flashes.
I have low discharge Ni-MH in all flash grear. I typically keep lithium aa's in the bag as backup.
10-18-2019, 11:22 AM - 2 Likes   #57
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
With high ISO available today, I find that I rarely use my flashes (as an experienced, rank amateur).
Well I am going to pick you up on that comment , in a friendly way. Yes improved ISO performance is a benefit to many types of photography, but not at all for studio lit work.

Tell me how using a high ISO can create this effect ?

10-18-2019, 11:52 AM - 1 Like   #58
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Yep, the difference is in the purpose. If used to supplement or supplant natural light for creative purpose, ISO is no help.

Steve
10-18-2019, 01:21 PM   #59
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Well I am going to pick you up on that comment , in a friendly way. Yes improved ISO performance is a benefit to many types of photography, but not at all for studio lit work.

You could use small dim continuous light sources with high iso... not typical.
10-18-2019, 01:47 PM   #60
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
You could use small dim continuous light sources with high iso... not typical.
That was not really my point, which was that artificial light can be used creatively.