Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-22-2018, 01:54 PM   #1

I just want to use a pentax AF 360 off camera on a flash bracket connected to my K1

Can this flash wirelessly locate the camera and have NO cords or does it need a sync cord? Or can it even use a sync cord?? And if this flash can't what other 3rd party flashes in the $100-200 range can??? I had to submit to this thread as i have been told that the AF360 can only be slave as an off camera option.

10-22-2018, 02:07 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you use it in wireless mode, you don't need any cords. It would be triggered optically by the camera's on-board flash.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-22-2018, 02:26 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The k1 has no in-built flash so you would need another flash unit on the camera hotshoe to trigger the off camera flash optically.

you will get more control and flexibility by looking at wireless triggers which use radio triggering rather than optical. I use Cactus V6II units together with AF 360/540 and Cactus own RF60X
10-22-2018, 02:52 PM   #4

Original Poster
So the af360 cannot work on a flash bracket with a sync cord that goes from the flash to the camera????

10-22-2018, 02:54 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by photofreek Quote
So the af360 cannot work on a flash bracket with a sync cord that goes from the flash to the camera????
It certainly can. This should help clarify any doubts:
Comprehensive Pentax Flash Guide - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-22-2018, 03:03 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Can this flash wirelessly locate the camera and have NO cords or does it need a sync cord? Or can it even use a sync cord?? And if this flash can't what other 3rd party flashes in the $100-200 range can??? I had to submit to this thread as i have been told that the AF360 can only be slave as an off camera option.
You can buy cheapo wireless triggers (would set you back $20), and shoot it in manual mode. You won't be able to use HSS, and will have to set everything manually, but if its on a bracket next to the camera, that should be no issue. I shot manually using Cowboy studios cheapo triggers in 47" softboxes, worked just fine (triggered both 540 and 360 flashes from my K-1)
10-22-2018, 03:30 PM - 1 Like   #7

Photos: Albums
B+H sells a cable by Vello that does full P-TTL. It is the cheapest P-TTL sync cable I have found from a reputable source. I use it with a Yongnuo P-TTL capable flash.

A cable just connects the contact points on the flash to the contact points in the hotshoe over a wire, so the flash works exactly as if it were mounted on the camera.

10-22-2018, 04:19 PM   #8

Original Poster
awscreo does the wireless trigger sit on the K1' s hotshoe ? and then it allows I guess any flash to be used wireless (if that is a function of that flash) and it would not make any difference where the flash was (either on a flash bracket or on a stand with umbrella) ???
10-22-2018, 04:35 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A hotshoe cable from Pentax or one of the better generic cables will make make a very versatile unit when attached to a flash bracket. It is much less fussy than wireless or optical solutions. Something like this should work well for about 15 bucks:

Vello Off-Camera TTL Flash Cord for Pentax Cameras (3') OCS-P3

The pentax version is more expensive but perhaps a bit better built if you are shooting lots of weddings etc.
10-22-2018, 05:12 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have the vello 3' ,it's good for a secure flash bracket only. It's really not 3 feet. It stretches that far but it will pull a tripod over. It's 3 feet of coiled cord making it effectively a third that length. I wish I had the 6' version.
Those cheap remote triggers work great in manual. You can use them in another room if you want as long as the wall isn't concrete. Similar to wifi. The receiver does make it sit too high in an umbrella stand.
The cactus units are great but a bit big. The control can be worth it.
For macro I use my 360 on camera as a pttl master or control for a cheap yet nice yongnuo 585ex.
I like all the set ups for different situations.
10-22-2018, 06:43 PM   #11
Veteran Member

With a flash bracket, a generic P-TTL cord works just fine and doesn't cost much. They're also very reliable and without any hassle.
10-22-2018, 07:01 PM   #12

Original Poster
Thanks for all the replies i think i am going to get a remote trigger and receiver AND a hot shoe and cable and test them both out and see which is most convenient, thanks again
10-22-2018, 07:34 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I would suggest that some reading up and research, and some logical thinking about the pros and cons of each approach, would be the way forward, rather than just buying equipment to try out fairly randomly.
10-22-2018, 07:44 PM   #14
Veteran Member

awscreo does the wireless trigger sit on the K1' s hotshoe ? and then it allows I guess any flash to be used wireless (if that is a function of that flash) and it would not make any difference where the flash was (either on a flash bracket or on a stand with umbrella) ???
Yup. One part goes on k1 horshoe, receiver goes on the flash, and you can trigger the flash wirelessly from anywhere within its range.
10-22-2018, 07:54 PM   #15
Veteran Member

awscreo does the wireless trigger sit on the K1' s hotshoe ? and then it allows I guess any flash to be used wireless (if that is a function of that flash) ..... ???

No, absolutely not. There are a number of different types of trigger systems and types of flashes, and they each offer a different way of working and different functions or modes. You were given a link above to my Flash Guide, but also I'd suggest downloading the "Supplement" PDF, from the link in my Signature here, as this contains a large section on "Off-Camera Control Technologies" and products that are compatible with Pentax DSLRs.