Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2018, 05:12 PM   #1

Self Timer TTL?

I just got TTL working with my K1, Cactus V6II, and Cactus RF60X. However, when I switch to the 12s self-timer on the K1, it no longer uses TTL metering but the flash still fires, resulting in overexposed photos. Is it possible to use TTL metering with the self timer? Am I missing a setting somewhere?

10-22-2018, 06:28 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

Your camera has P-TTL, which requires a pre-flash to do the metering step. When used with a self-timer, the pre-flash fires immediately with the main flash firing at the end of the timer period. The question is whether the V6II knows how to play that game.

Steve
10-22-2018, 07:30 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Its something new for us I think, maybe untested yet .... I hope ClassA is around to see this, he is by far the most likely one to be able to advise.
10-22-2018, 09:23 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I'm not using the X-TTL variant myself so I actually don't know how it behaves with the self-timer.

If the V6II/RF60X combination is working correctly in standard release mode but does not when used in conjunction with the self-timer, I guess there could be a V6II firmware issue that could potentially be fixed.

@Blamking You could post your question to the "V6II Problems" section of the Cactus Community Forum.

10-23-2018, 06:31 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for the responses.

QuoteQuote:
When used with a self-timer, the pre-flash fires immediately with the main flash firing at the end of the timer period.
This seems odd to me - I feel like a lot can change in a scene in 12 seconds that would warrant metering at the end of the time period rather than the start. In any case, my setup is not doing the pre-flash at any point in the timer period.

QuoteQuote:
You could post your question to the "V6II Problems" section of the Cactus Community Forum.
Will do.
10-23-2018, 06:36 AM   #6

Original Poster
I just noticed that there have been several firmware updates for the flash and transceiver since I last used it. I'll try updating and see if that helps anything.
10-23-2018, 03:17 PM   #7

Original Poster
I updated the firmware, but the issue persists. I did some additional experimentation with the following results:

12s timer: no pre-flash, flashes at full intensity (or probably whatever the flash is set to manually) at end of timer when photo is taken.
2s timer: preflash fires, timer counts down, flashes per TTL metering at end of timer when photo is taken.
Timer + interval shooting: First photo behaves as described above, and any following shots act like a normal photo, firing pre-flash and regular flash in succession - all photos except first are properly exposed.