Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-24-2018, 06:46 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
K3 II & Cactus V6II - HSS requires modern lens...

Maybe this is obvious (or not), but I was troubleshooting HSS with my new Cactus V6II and K3II - and they HSS does not work with my Pentax M 50mm 1.2. It works fine with my DA* 50-135 2.8 - even in manual mode.

Anyone have success using M Lens with the HSS setup. I would love to use f1.2 and HSS.

10-24-2018, 07:31 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jcsnyc Quote
Maybe this is obvious (or not), but I was troubleshooting HSS with my new Cactus V6II and K3II - and they HSS does not work with my Pentax M 50mm 1.2. It works fine with my DA* 50-135 2.8 - even in manual mode.

Anyone have success using M Lens with the HSS setup. I would love to use f1.2 and HSS.
HSS with Pentax cameras is a P-TTL mode (ie the camera calculates the flash output). This is the same whether you use a flash gun on the hotshoe or via the cactus units. For P-TTL to work the camera needs to know full details about the lens through the contacts and know what aperture it is set at.

Your camera will know none of this with a M series lens so HSS is not possible.

btw. there is no such lens as a M 50 1.2 There is a "K" series lens 50mm 1:1.2, but the fastest M series lens is a 1:1.4.

Is perhaps your lens a M series 1:2 ?
10-24-2018, 10:16 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Yes, and whilst the V6II brings the added feature of Manual mode HSS, there still needs to be aperture information from the lens in order for the shutter setting to go beyond the max sync. So you need an A type lens or later for both Manual and P-TTL HSS.
10-24-2018, 10:29 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
Yes, and whilst the V6II brings the added feature of Manual mode HSS
Oh I didn't know that Nigel. Something else to explore when i get the time !

10-24-2018, 10:37 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Great info - makes total sense. It's a K ... I actually did not know there was a difference between the K & M lenses. Probably my favorite lens.

SMC Pentax 50mm F1.2 Reviews - K Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
10-24-2018, 11:35 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Oh I didn't know that Nigel. Something else to explore when i get the time !
Yes, just switch the Group button to M mode and dial your shutter speed freely! (with an A type or later lens).

Cactus have added new feature related to M mode HSS ...."Flash Compensate" A bad name I'm afraid, because it is actually an exposure time compensation with flash power. It works by automatically adjusting the flash power in response to shutter speed adjustments, to eliminate that extra step during Manual HSS working. So it's Manual mode, but with an aspect of P-TTL for convenience.

It is detailed in the XTTL Quick Start Guide. You activate it with a long press on the rear dial. ..... I'm yet to see it work perfectly in my own tests, but it would be great to get another opinion on it!
10-24-2018, 01:07 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jcsnyc Quote
Probably my favorite lens
yes it is a lens that when I examine off the camera i worry I am going to fall inside. A marvel of engineering