Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 18 Likes Search this Thread
11-07-2018, 01:45 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
My home-made diffuser in the first image, which I like because it is so small & light, easy to attach, easy to fit into a camera bag. Unfortunately, I've not been able to find a new source for the plastic sheet that I used. ...
If there is no plasics fabricator near your location, you might try MSC Industrial Supply | Metalworking and MRO Supplies, or an on-line plastics source. You would have to know your thickness and what the material is.

11-07-2018, 03:30 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Arach101 Quote
I can't imagine it being a priority. Is the AF-160FC discontinued?
yes it is, i will have a look on ebay
11-07-2018, 03:41 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kaseki Quote
If there is no plasics fabricator near your location, you might try MSC Industrial Supply | Metalworking and MRO Supplies, or an on-line plastics source. You would have to know your thickness and what the material is.
FYI: The original plastic sheet was purchased from a local art supply store, but no one there, nor at the few other local art supply stores has ever seen such material, which I guess dates it (sometime in the early 1990's as I recall.
11-07-2018, 04:01 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I remember that material sold as a flimsy cutting board around 2005. I used it as diffuser but it sliced when cutting vegetables.

11-07-2018, 09:06 PM   #20
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
The cheapo ring flash I have has the batteries mounted in a box with a hotshoe and can be triggered by the camera or just lighted up at any where from 1/64th power to max. I generally never go over 1/16th since it is pretty bright. And I have shot lenses with this ring light and you can see that the illumination is from a ring light. I also have a couple of "vello socks" like WPresto uses, but I have not tried them for macro.

With my Yongnuo 685 I will flip the close range diffuser down and confuse the flash into thinking we are under 20mm lens length. If I have nothing else available, I will wrap two layers of a facial tissue over the flash. (gets warm if you shoot much though!) The tissues do help though.
Good conversation with some folks who get good results from their macro lighting.
Your ring flash sounds surprisingly bright. I do like my ring flash, but I found it difficult to diffuse nicely.. this was my solution: Macro ringflash softbox diffuser for Pentax AF160FC by Arachnorchis - Thingiverse

---------- Post added 11-07-18 at 09:08 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by k1man Quote
yes it is, i will have a look on ebay
That's a shame, the AF160 is a gem. I have seen them pop up used occasionally. It wouldn't surprise me if there are still some new ones floating around at some retailers.
11-07-2018, 11:15 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

I like what you did with the AF160 diffuser Thanks again
11-08-2018, 03:35 AM   #22
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by garywakeling Quote
I like what you did with the AF160 diffuser Thanks again
Cheers Gary.

11-08-2018, 05:56 AM - 1 Like   #23
Forum Member

Original Poster
Well, here's my macro flash diffuser version 1.0. I found a "C Bracket" that a bought a few years ago, I'm not sure what I intended to use it for but it seems to work well here. I 3D printed a cradle for the flash with a tripod thread on the bottom to attach to the C bracket, and of course a new (smaller) flash diffuser to match. Included some attachment points for straps on the cradle to fasten the flash, it's not very elegant but it seems to fit all the flashes I have lying around well enough. Will test it out a little tomorrow, if it goes well I'll refine the design further.

Any thoughts on the current iteration?
Attached Images

11-08-2018, 06:29 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Looks like it will work great. Can't wait to see shots and your thoughts on how it handles.
11-08-2018, 06:37 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
I remember that material sold as a flimsy cutting board around 2005. I used it as diffuser but it sliced when cutting vegetables.
I think teflon would be too optically dense even at a mm thickness, but nylon or polypropylene might be suitable. There are also some styles of plexiglass (acrylic) that are deliberately white and diffusive. I suggest finding a plastics fabricator and obtaining some scraps for optical density and diffusion testing, or at least for advice.
11-08-2018, 07:24 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Not sure what it was made of but it was used in this picture. Cant find it since. Now I use trash bags or a plastic table cloth often folded a few times but I miss the rigidness.
11-08-2018, 09:40 AM - 1 Like   #27
Veteran Member

Shapelock offers an interesting potential, because it is mouldable, rollable and white. Bottom line make any shape, any thickness by dunking it in hot water and it goes soft => mouldable, rollable with a kitchen roller. Something I meant to try and make a diffuser from but a) life intervened and b) I had trouble getting even thickness
11-08-2018, 09:43 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
Shapelock offers an interesting potential, because it is mouldable, rollable and white. Bottom line make any shape, any thickness by dunking it in hot water and it goes soft => mouldable, rollable with a kitchen roller. Something I meant to try and make a diffuser from but a) life intervened and b) I had trouble getting even thickness
Come to think of it you could combine shapelock with something else to keep the something else rigid
11-08-2018, 10:00 AM - 1 Like   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
Not sure what it was made of but it was used in this picture. Cant find it since. Now I use trash bags or a plastic table cloth often folded a few times but I miss the rigidness.
I thought this was a closeup of some sort of flash shoe adapter. I also thought, though, that it looked a lot like a can opener...
11-08-2018, 02:27 PM - 1 Like   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
I imagine my wife might be mad if I used her pasta roller to get an even thickness of Shapelock.