Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2018, 12:24 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Enjoying new TT350 that came today

The new small Godox arrived for B&H. Seems to be a nice, quality little unit, a great deal for $80. So far I've just used it with the 35 f2 on my K1 and my Ricoh GRll. On the K1 TTL seems to work, but on the GRll it's manual only (though HSF mode works in manual). The GRll does not indicate that a flash is attached, but it still triggers it.

This is a photo with the K1 at 1/800, f2.5 in high speed mode, bouncing off the ceiling, then one with the same settings with the flash off. The third just shows what it looks like on the GR.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
11-12-2018, 02:47 PM - 1 Like   #2
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Another happy customer. I can confirm that the TT350P works on the K-3 as well, even though Godox doesn't list it amongst the compatible models.

One thing I really like is that the TT350P can do HSS in manual mode. Not even my Metz 58 AF-1 can do that (HSS only works in PTTL mode). That's potentially very useful for fill flash for birds, because setting the shutter at the maximum sync speed (1/180th on the K-3) is often too slow for wildlife. With the Metz in PTTL/HSS, I've often found the bird moves while the flash is metering for PTTL. With the TT350P in manual mode HSS, there doesn't seem to be any lag. Of course manual setting involves guessing the appropriate power level - there's such a fall-off with HSS that the power output has to go up a lot as the distance to subject increases. But I think with practice I'll be able to guess the setting better.

If Godox does a higher-output PTTL flash (e.g. TT685, with GN 60) with the same features as the TT350, I'd be looking to get one to replace my Metz.
11-13-2018, 03:33 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
I'm waiting for mine, I also have a 58-af1 but my main motivation is size with the KP and user interface.
Best,
11-13-2018, 02:02 PM   #4
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by danielblues Quote
I'm waiting for mine, I also have a 58-af1 but my main motivation is size with the KP and user interface.
Compact size and light weight are what I wanted too. Easy to carry around and very well featured. Great for a relatively compact camera like the K-P (or K-70 or K-S2).

As for the user interface, I find the Metz more intuitive, but playing with the Godox for a while (with the user guide handy) you can get the hang of it quickly enough.

I'd suggest looking at a YouTube demo (doesn't matter which version of the TT350) for a quick intro. Here's one that's short and informative:

11-13-2018, 02:54 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks, I'll check it out. I find the flash pretty easy to use so far, but it's better to learn all the features, of course.

Last edited by johnkrumm; 11-14-2018 at 07:41 AM.
11-14-2018, 02:47 AM   #6

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
I find the Metz more intuitive
I agree, it's easy to sort how to get things done, but with button presses for every thing I mostly end up with PTTL and simple compensation on camera. I hope godox scroll wheel will promote different approaches, if not, size will justify gas

Thanks for the video!
11-14-2018, 03:37 AM   #7
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by danielblues Quote
I agree, it's easy to sort how to get things done, but with button presses for every thing I mostly end up with PTTL and simple compensation on camera. I hope godox scroll wheel will promote different approaches, if not, size will justify gas
Thanks for the video!
Actually the main functions in the Godox are quite accessible. Press Mode to toggle between Manual, TTL and Multi. (Multi is firing repeatedly at set intervals during a single exposure. Nothing to do with multiple units.) When in TTL, just press Set and turn the dial to adjust exposure compensation. In Manual, turn the dial to change the power output. To use HSS or second curtain sync, toggle with short presses of the Sync button. Other things like the settings are a bit buried, but they aren't things you use everyday anyway.

Last edited by Des; 11-15-2018 at 03:13 AM.
11-14-2018, 04:39 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good summary Des. The basics are simple to use and easily accessible.

I think usability though comes down to usage. While they are easy to use it's still easy to forget.

I always make sure I give myself a few minutes to re-familiarise with how they work before I do a shoot.

11-20-2018, 03:18 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I got mine; nice.

But it wouldn't power on at first...had to wait a while. The first one I got wouldn't power on at all; anyone else experience that? seems to be working OK now, even on alkalines.
11-20-2018, 10:26 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by Oakland Rob Quote
I got mine; nice.

But it wouldn't power on at first...had to wait a while. The first one I got wouldn't power on at all; anyone else experience that? seems to be working OK now, even on alkalines.
Are you sure the batteries you used are good/fully charged?
11-21-2018, 11:13 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by inkista Quote
Are you sure the batteries you used are good/fully charged?
Oh yeah. Over 1.5v on the akalines, can't remember on nimh or lithiums, but I checked all of 'em with my multimeter first. I wonder if some processor was running on power up without showing any feedback on the screen or lighting it up, like it had to boot. Maybe it uses capacitors to store. juice to preserve some kind of RAM or something, and needed to fill those first. Maybe I'm just wild-a guessing.... Hate to have to send it back; really nice little compact flash.