Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2018, 10:27 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Anyone Using "Flash Brackets" any more?

I've never used a "flash bracket", but am thinking of getting one.

Do any of you use flash brackets these days? If so, what might be a brand of flash bracket that you would recommend?

11-18-2018, 12:23 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have this one. It works well, but it looks a bit clunky

11-18-2018, 04:15 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have since stopped using the flash bracket, for a few reasons;

1) The communication between the wireless V6ii trigger to the RF60x Flash Unit was too close, even when the radio was set to short range there would be times no shots were firing

2) I have since bought a lighter AF360FGZII which I find very comfortable on the hotshoe of the camera (unlike the 540II and other heavier Metz flashes). I use a Vello Ring Flash softbox with the 360II when shooting portraits outdoors as the I like the softer distribution of light from that vs bare flash

3) Indoors wise I still think bouncing flash off ceiling is king. I have a Magmod Sphere and Bounce that I think creates harsher light than a good ceiling bounce.
11-18-2018, 04:32 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

I made one by myself. But I found out that it was too clunky to use at events.
I also stopped using it. I try as much as possible not shoot in portrait mode.
That is when you see shadows on the walls. If I do, then I rotate the flash head upwards to bounce.

11-18-2018, 06:20 AM - 1 Like   #5
Forum Member

I donít do a lot of flash photography, but I still use a flash bracket to avoid red-eye. I use something similar to this:

Dot Line Right Angle Flash Bracket DL-0308 B&H Photo Video

I agree that it is tough to pack in a photo bag. I donít have problems taking portrait shots because I can hold the bracket handle with one hand and rotate 90 degrees.
11-18-2018, 06:22 AM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Manfrotto 233B Telescoping Camera/Flash Bracket 233B B&H Photo

This one works pretty well.

11-18-2018, 06:23 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have a 25-year old Stroboframe 35 that I use once every few years.

I really like it, and it fits the K1 well.

-Eric
11-18-2018, 10:47 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote

Do any of you use flash brackets these days? If so, what might be a brand of flash bracket that you would recommend?
If I need to move around I use a Lastolite flash bracket with a Pentax 545 fired wirelessly, and fitted with a 22cm square diffuser. If I donít need to move around I put the Pentax 545 fired wirelessly, and fitted with a 22cm square diffuser on a lighting stand. To my mind an on-camera flash is too direct, with or without a diffuser.

11-18-2018, 10:52 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had a cheap Chinese knock off that failed in the middle of a shoot. Thankfully I caught the flash before it hit the ground. These days I primarily use Wimberley flash brackets. They're not cheap but their quality is excellent. And there are a lot of parts that can be found on fleabay for half of retail. I especially like the mix and match aspect of their components, you can pretty much build any configuration you want.
11-18-2018, 11:09 AM - 1 Like   #10

Since I use two cameras when I shoot weddings, I just hold the flash in my hand. One advantage of this is that I can quickly aim the flash in any direction for bounce.
11-18-2018, 12:50 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks everyone, great advice to review and consider! I'm such a newby at flash, but with your suggestions, I'm sure it will all work out just fine.
12-30-2018, 08:09 PM   #12
Pentaxian

The following is a flash bracket that I use to get the flash distanced from my camera. It rotates to provide for appropriate lighting for vertical or horizontal shots. Listed below that is a shortcut to the flash shoe cord for Pentax which connects the flash on the bracket to the Pentax camera flash shoe. This type flash bracket setup provides less shadowing of the subject caused by the bare head of the flash due to the off camera position (less direct). This type bracket is also sometimes referred to as a wedding arm, due to its valuable off camera positioning of light during weddings for shots. I have both of the products I am referring to.

Vello QuickDraw Rotating Flash Bracket CB-100 B&H Photo Video

Vello Off-Camera TTL Flash Cord for Pentax Cameras (3') OCS-P3

Last edited by C_Jones; 12-30-2018 at 08:29 PM.
12-31-2018, 01:27 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
When a suitable ceiling is available, I use bounce. When it is not, I just hold my AF360FGZ at an arms length away. Wireless comms with the camera means that it is a breeze. A decent flash bracket would be useful, but there is no room to spare in my overstuffed bag.
12-31-2018, 10:21 PM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks everyone, great advice to review and consider! I'm such a newby at flash, but with your suggestions, I'm sure it will all work out just fine.
QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
The following is a flash bracket that I use to get the flash distanced from my camera. It rotates to provide for appropriate lighting for vertical or horizontal shots. Listed below that is a shortcut to the flash shoe cord for Pentax which connects the flash on the bracket to the Pentax camera flash shoe. This type flash bracket setup provides less shadowing of the subject caused by the bare head of the flash due to the off camera position (less direct). This type bracket is also sometimes referred to as a wedding arm, due to its valuable off camera positioning of light during weddings for shots. I have both of the products I am referring to.

Vello QuickDraw Rotating Flash Bracket CB-100 B&H Photo Video

Vello Off-Camera TTL Flash Cord for Pentax Cameras (3') OCS-P3
QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
When a suitable ceiling is available, I use bounce. When it is not, I just hold my AF360FGZ at an arms length away. Wireless comms with the camera means that it is a breeze. A decent flash bracket would be useful, but there is no room to spare in my overstuffed bag.
I looked extensively into this, bought some stuff and came to the following conclusion;
  • When using a flash bracket with a wireless system (such as the Cactus V6ii + RF60x), despite radio comms being set to short range there can still be misfires, frustratingly frequently and erratic at times.
  • Using modifiers on a flash for 'running and gunning' moments doesn't really do a great job of diffusing, such as Magmod Sphere, Gary Fong etc. If you have a suitable ceiling you will ALWAYS get the nicest softest quality of light from a bare flash roof bouncing.
  • So this then begs the question why you would need a flash on a bracket if the best shot is actually just aiming it up at the ceiling? I mean I guess yeah even when shooting portrait mode it might angle a bit better for a ceiling bounce but worth the hassle of the bracket?
  • So for me the flash bracket is important if shooting and aiming the flash directly at the subject, and all the modifiers I used were not sufficient for aiming directly at the subject except one softbox which was not compatible with a flash bracket (the Roundflash), so goodbye flash bracket.

My advice is to forget flash brackets. If you really need flash off camera on the go consider getting wireless trigger like the XproP or Cactus V6ii, have the flash in a belt pouch and hold out at arms reach when doing shots that require direct flash, you could even have it attached to a better softbox that will diffuse and soften the light better because the box will be larger and not designed to be used with a flash on camera (thus obscuring the lens).

When inside just ceiling and wall bounce and even bounce behind you (if acceptable to). For outside work I use my Roundflash, it has the ring effect which some dislike, but if you distance yourself from the subject it becomes a non issue.

All these shot with the roundflash outside at varying distances;

All these shots with the teeny tiny AF201FG pointing directly up at a high gymnasium ceiling;

What I like about these second series of shot at the dance is how the flash still puts a 'spotlight' on the subject, but it's a soft spotlight rather than a harsh light when pointing directly at them.

If I were looking to do more events outdoors I might go this route;

You'll get a far more pleasing diffused distribution of light (similar or better to my roundflash), and if you're smart can work out a way to have the flash and softbox just kinda 'on your person' for quick access. I'm even thinking of trying that myself with perhaps a quick release monopod for gaining higher positioning, and if not windy one of those monopods with feet for setting it down (perhaps a tent peg for quick added anti toppling over).