Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2018, 01:00 PM   #1

Flash/ OCF newbie

Okay hope to get some answers about type of transceiver I need. I currently have a K3ii and a K50. I have a metz 52af and a newer flash. Kind of hoping I can at least control the power of the metz flash from the camera and it would really be nice to use its HSS function. I am assuming I would need a radio transmitter and separate radio receivers for each flash. Thaks in advance for any and all advice.

Rod Heeney

11-25-2018, 04:15 PM   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by rodh Quote
Okay hope to get some answers about type of transceiver I need. I currently have a K3ii and a K50. I have a metz 52af and a newer flash. Kind of hoping I can at least control the power of the metz flash from the camera and it would really be nice to use its HSS function. I am assuming I would need a radio transmitter and separate radio receivers for each flash. Thanks in advance for any and all advice....
There are two ways you can get remote M power control over flash: using TTL flash foot communication, or via a built-in radio trigger. TTL-capable flashes may do both. But single-pin manual-only flashes (like a Godox TT600) can only be power-controlled or do HSS via its built-in trigger; and if it doesn't have a built-in trigger (like an Amazon Basics flash, or Neewer TT560) can't do either power control or HSS.

Since the Metz doesn't have a built-in radio trigger, you'll have to use an add on TTL-capable radio receiver to control its power (in M) using TTL control. For this, a Cactus V6II is probably your best bet, and should give you both power control and HSS.

The Neewer (assuming that's what you mean by "newer" flash) is a different matter, since we don't know what model it is. Neewer just rebrands flashes from a ton of other manufacturers (Godox, Jinbei, Triopo, Meike, etc.) so it all depends very specifically on which one you got. If it can do P-TTL, then you can also use a Cactus V6II on it to power control it; if it does HSS, then a Cactus V6II will also let you use HSS. If it's a single-pin manual flash, then you can fire it with a V6II, but you won't have power control, TTL, or HSS.

Cactus V6II transceivers are about $70 a pop, and you'd need three of them for two off-camera lights ($210).

If you just want M power control and HSS and don't need any TTL capability, for the same money you could also go with a $70 Godox XPro-P transmitter and $65 TT600 speedlights; the built-in triggers on the TT600 do both M power control and HSS. But this would mean dumping your existing flashes for off-camera use. But you would gain the expansion options in the Godox system.
11-25-2018, 04:32 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thank you so much.