Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-01-2019, 02:28 PM   #1

Pentax 645Z / Cactus V6II/ Godox 360 in HSS mode

Hello, I am trying to use a Pentax 645Z witha Godox AD-360 ( non-ttl) with the cactus V6II and a Godox 433Mhz transmitter .

I did try to load the two Cactus legacy firmwares currently available with the firmware updater v307 for the V6 II, version 1.1.006 and 1.1.013

The flash works in HSS mode as manual flash with the version 1.1.013 and as a Nikon flash with version 1.1.006, but in both case I experience banding in the upper part of the frame .
Actually, the banding with the older firmware/Nikon flash configuration is smaller than with the latest version/manual flash one .

Are there additional steps to perform to get rid of the banding , and is there a firmware version with wich the configuration works 100% ok ?

Best Pierre

ps I did post this question on the cactus forum as well .

01-01-2019, 03:48 PM   #2
Forum Member

Um, maybe not the solution you're looking for, but you could also just swap the Godox 433MHz gear for a Godox XTR16 2.4GHz receiver for the AD360 and an XPro-P transmitter.
01-01-2019, 04:25 PM   #3

Original Poster
Hello Inkista,
Thank You for your suggestion .

Actually, I would like to keep it simple and try to make the gear that I have working . I understand that the setup is not officially supported by cactus but should work as it has been documented working OK by other users .
I wonder if some intermediary version of the firmware between v006 and v013 is the one that was making the combination work OK, or if I should use the profile editor to make some timing adjustment to avoid the banding in the upper part of the frame.
Best Pierre
01-01-2019, 05:38 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Another thought might be to check the Cactus firmware and use the universal version not the pentax version, and see if that works better.

01-02-2019, 02:27 AM - 1 Like   #5

Original Poster
hello ProfessorBuzz, thank you for your recommendation.
The two firmwares I did try and mention in my post are the legacy/universal versions as the flash is not TTL, I assume it will not support the cross TTL versions .
Best Pierre

---------- Post added 01-02-19 at 03:02 AM ----------

Hello , a quick update to thank ClassA which brought the solution: using V6II legacy firmware 1.1.013, with camera system Pentax and Flash sytem /manual with Custom setting set to Type 1 did the trick , the frame is exposed uniformely for 95% of the surface, a very thin band on the bottom appears a bit clearer .

Thank You so much to the community and to ClassA in particular for the help .

Best , and all my wishes for 2019.

Pierre
01-02-2019, 10:59 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wachkds Quote
Hello, I am trying to use a Pentax 645Z witha Godox AD-360 ( non-ttl) with the cactus V6II and a Godox 433Mhz transmitter .

I did try to load the two Cactus legacy firmwares currently available with the firmware updater v307 for the V6 II, version 1.1.006 and 1.1.013

The flash works in HSS mode as manual flash with the version 1.1.013 and as a Nikon flash with version 1.1.006, but in both case I experience banding in the upper part of the frame .
Actually, the banding with the older firmware/Nikon flash configuration is smaller than with the latest version/manual flash one .

Are there additional steps to perform to get rid of the banding , and is there a firmware version with wich the configuration works 100% ok ?

Best Pierre

ps I did post this question on the cactus forum as well .
Throw the Cactus V6II trigger in the garbage can and purchase a Godox X-Pro Trigger for Pentaxhttps://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1432377-REG/godox_xprop_ttl_wireless_flash_trigger.html Problem solved.
01-02-2019, 01:40 PM   #7

Original Poster
Hello fwbigd,

Thank You for your suggestion .
Best Pierre
01-02-2019, 02:40 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fwbigd Quote
Throw the Cactus V6II trigger in the garbage can and purchase a Godox X-Pro Trigger for Pentaxhttps://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1432377-REG/godox_xprop_ttl_wireless_flash_trigger.html Problem solved.?
Daryl,
Sometimes it isn't that easy. Most likely because we make it not so easy! I've been struggling with some old Pentax Flashes and several new Cactus triggers. I was determined to get my flaky flashes working. 4 triggers later, I finally decided to treat myself to a new AD200 and the new GODOX trigger.

Pierre,
Good luck on getting it working. Sometimes it just takes some patience and determination. In other times, as Daryl suggests, its just easier to buy the hardware that "works" and stop fussing with hardware that "should" work.

Regards,
Rodney

01-02-2019, 03:49 PM   #9

Original Poster
Hello Rodney,

Thank You for your comments and suggestion .
So far, my workflow is mostly (portable) studio work with still objects, so the AD360 hits the mark for me as a nice combination of power/portability .
I do well understand that the newer triggers/flashes make it easier for people who work outside mostly and rely heavily on HSS; which is currently occasional for me .
Kudos to Cactus nevertheless for their cross platform efforts ; while Godox products are great I wish they would put some more effort to support older hardware, and also not change battery type for every new generation of their flashes
Best Pierre
01-03-2019, 02:32 AM   #10
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wachkds Quote
... while Godox products are great I wish they would put some more effort to support older hardware,
Well, as I mentioned upthread, you can just swap out the FTR16 receiver you've plugged into the USB-A port on the AD360 for an XTR16 receiver and you'd be able to sync and power control it with an XPro-P. Not sure about HSS, though, since the AD360II isn't doing HSS, yet. But Godox is not forcing you to purchase an AD360II / AD200. There is a path to use the older bare bulb flash.

QuoteQuote:
...and also not change battery type for every new generation of their flashes...
Technically, they haven't done that for every new generation. The V850/V860 share the same pack with the V850II and V860II, and the AD360 shares the same pack with the AD360II.

The AD600 Pro uses something like double the voltage of the AD600 to get a faster recycle time, so the batteries were never going to be compatible across the two models. And given the danger of using the wrong pack on a non-Pro AD600, it's better that the Pro packs don't fit the non-Pro.

But I agree; it would be nice if they'd standardized all the AD600 models and the AD400 to use the same packs; and also if their new round-headed speedlight (V-Pro?) isn't going to be using YA different li-on battery source than the other V speedlights. Really hoping they don't go with the currently proposed unprotected cells, or we're going to get a lot of melted/up-in-flames speedlights until people suss out there are multiple types of li-on cells and that the "model number" they're given only specifies the physical dimensions of the cells; not its power characteristics. They ain't like AAs.
01-03-2019, 02:50 AM   #11

Original Poster
Hi Inkista,
Thanks for your comments .
Did not mean to bash over Godox, they really have launched great/affordable products in the last years and shook the market , just maybe they can put some engineering thinking so one doesn't need one/multiple batteries for each device model . Some companies pay attention to this , notably pentax,Ricoh, canon to name a few and kudos to them for this .

Best Pierre