Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2019, 07:00 AM - 4 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photographing BB-8

Just a bit of fun seeing what the potential was with some of the more photogenic kids toys from Christmas ...(Since I didn't get any for me!)

Little BB-8 from Star Wars was a good candidate, along with a couple of castle & Knight characters

K7, DFA 28-105, 2x Cactus RF60, Pentax AF-540FGZII, Cactus V6II Tx
ISO100, F9.5, 1/180th

For those curious, (and you definately SHOULD try this at home folks!), I took some to show the set up ... trying to make use of a single high bookshelf to give the low perspective, and the patch of grey wallpaper behind. I used one flash with a "powersnoot" to light the wall with blue gels, a main flash in softbox and a fill light on umbrella .... you can see my beautiful studio

Because the Pentax flash with the snoot was facing the main softbox light, I didn't bother using a radio receiver with it, but just used the Slave 2 mode, which is very reliable.Working so close the direct manual power adjustments were not a problem. But the Radio control over the highly placed softbox and umberella flashes was very convenient.

01-09-2019, 07:07 PM   #2

Very nice!
01-09-2019, 11:03 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Nice one, @mcgregni!

Very nice example of how much fun one can have at home and learn about lighting at the same time.

Personally, I wouldn't have let allowed the blue, gridded flash to create a direct reflection on the toy. Not a question of right or wrong, just a personal preference and, more importantly, something to consider one's stance on.
01-09-2019, 11:20 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Yeah, a flag will stop that - we can see the flash in both spheres. Only the bottom one is a largeish, and hard to Photoshop out.

Love these, though. The BB 8 character is ridiculously cute.

01-10-2019, 01:44 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks Tomcook, glad you liked it ..... Thanks also ClassA and Clackers, yes its fun to try this sort of thing at home, especially when there's not many other photographic opportunities to explore. There's always some sort of experimenting or practice we flash users can do, and if you're like me then I just enjoy the whole business of getting the gear out and messing around with it!

I didn't worry about the grid reflection too much ..... kind of thought it looked it might have been from some sort of space agey item in the hanger of a battlestar (which is where BB-8 is of course) .....