Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2019, 10:19 AM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I’ve got the Yongnuo 585 also and it works great, both on camera and off triggered by the KP’s on board flash.

01-12-2019, 08:57 PM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by Jon55 Quote
Thanks, all. I went with the Yongnuo RF-602 vector mentioned...
Just me, but I'd recommend the RF-603 II over the RF-602. The 602s have separate Tx/Rx units, while the 603II are transceivers that can be either transmitter or receiver, and so you'll only need AAA batteries, not AAA and CR2 (which is a PITA to source). They also have a hotshoe up top, so you can sandwich one between a speedilght and a flash (and ullike the 603 Mark I, have screw locks on the foot, so you won't worry about losing said speedlight/trigger sandwich). But most importantly, they moved the on/off switch to the side, to be an OFF/TX/TRX switch, so a) you can reach it when a flash is mounted up top and b) you can set the on-camera transmitter specifically to be in transmitter mode (something you couldn't do with the Mark Is) and use them on non-Canon/Nikon hotshoes.

---------- Post added 01-12-19 at 08:00 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by skierd Quote
The nice thing about the 560tx is it also allows you to change the flash settings on the camera instead of having to work directly on the flash. Just saying, that’s a big reason why I went with it.
Only if the flash is the YN-560 III, YN-560IV, YN-660, or YN-560Li (aka YN-720), which have the built-in radio trigger.

The YN-460 has no built-in radio trigger and cannot have its power controlled remotely by a YN-560 because it can only be communicated with through the single-pin on the hotshoe, not a built-in radio trigger. Group control will only work if the YN-460 is mounted on an RF-605.

Just me, but ditch the Yongnuo gear and get a $65 Godox TT600 and a $70 XPro-P transmitter. Yes, it's more money than $25 triggers. But you'll have a light with a built in radio receiver you'll never forget to pack and never need additional batteries for, and you'll only need to remember AA batteries (not AA, AAA, and CR2) and you'll have HSS and remote power control. And if Godox comes out with a TT685-P or you decide to get an AD200, you'll also get TTL both on/off camera. And the TT600 will still work with the new light in the same triggering scheme.

You also won't have to deal with those PITA LED "idiot lights" on the YN-460, but have an actual LCD display.

Yongnuo doesn't make P-TTL gear of any kind (triggers or flashes) for Pentax, and they don't make the bigger lights Godox does (AD200, etc.)

Last edited by inkista; 01-12-2019 at 09:06 PM.
01-13-2019, 01:09 AM - 1 Like   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by inkista Quote
Yongnuo doesn't make P-TTL gear of any kind (triggers or flashes) for Pentax
Except, of course, for the YN 585ex flash, which does in fact support P-TTL.

http://www.hkyongnuo.com/e-detaily.php?ID=384

Last edited by rawr; 01-13-2019 at 01:18 AM.
01-13-2019, 02:44 PM   #19

Original Poster
For someone like me who never, up until this point, used anything but optical manual off camera flash, even just finding the right radio control modules was difficult, which was why I turned here. Now if you're talking p-ttl, that might be an option in the future. So, if I understand correctly, a flash like the one pictured above will do p-ttl, but needs what transmitters/ receivers? I guess the cheap one like I picked up will only work for my manual flash. Are such flashes/ transmitters/ receivers available in the used market or, better yet, are there any prior versions that worked well? Just trying to get a ballpark cost estimate if I ever went p-ttl with the KX and off camera flash.

01-13-2019, 03:33 PM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
For someone like me who never, up until this point, used anything but optical manual off camera flash, even just finding the right radio control modules was difficult, which was why I turned here. Now if you're talking p-ttl, that might be an option in the future. So, if I understand correctly, a flash like the one pictured above will do p-ttl, but needs what transmitters/ receivers? I guess the cheap one like I picked up will only work for my manual flash. Are such flashes/ transmitters/ receivers available in the used market or, better yet, are there any prior versions that worked well? Just trying to get a ballpark cost estimate if I ever went p-ttl with the KX and off camera flash.
Sure, Jon, see Post 15.

I've used both Acon and Cactus.

01-13-2019, 04:34 PM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Except, of course, for the YN 585ex flash, which does in fact support P-TTL....
D'oh! Knew I forgot something. Thanks! Still, doesn't do HSS, and has no radio triggering built in. But, will do "smart" optical slave, which is very nice.

... a flash like the one pictured above will do p-ttl, but needs what transmitters/ receivers?
If you have a "smart" optical master capability with the pop-up flash of your camera (usually there's a menu setting for turning on wireless control), you don't need transmitters/receivers if optical triggering is okay for you. It will be limited by line-of-sight and range, particularly if used in brighter ambient conditions (outdoors in the sun) that can overpower the light signalling. But usually with the "smart" schemes you get TTL and remote power control.

If, however, you want radio, you'd need a P-TTL-capable receiver on the foot of the flash, so Cactus V6II is the most likely bet.

Generally, any triggers you get will have to have pins on the feet and contacts on the hotshoes that match Pentax's layout, and uses their electronic flash communication protocol.

QuoteQuote:
I guess the cheap one like I picked up will only work for my manual flash.
Well, the RF-602s will still sync (fire) a TTL flash, you just can't get TTL/HSS/remote power control over radio with them.
01-14-2019, 10:58 AM   #22

Original Poster
Wow, I guess acquisition of a p-ttl flash and controller for it ads up to cost and goes way beyond my budget at this time. I knew this of course, but felt I needed the info for future reference. I wonder, with optical triggering, like as suggested for the cheapest use of the YN585EX, aren't you also getting some of the harsh shadowing from the camera's pop up flash? The way I have been handling it so far with my manual flash and pop up trigger is that I cover over the pop up with foil and direct light output in the direction of the off camera flash, but some people don't.

Where I ran into trouble, and is why I needed a wireless radio trigger, is because, to get away from portrait distortion caused by using too short of a FL lens, I started using my next larger lens which happens to be 135mm. This puts a large distance between pop up and off camera flash and, since the umbrella softbox is very close to subject and the black side of the umbrella is now towards the distant camera, the umbrella now blocks the light from the pop up. I tried some white reflectors to try and direct the pop up light to the opposite side of the umbrella (concave side), but the light isn't enough to trigger the Yongnuo.

---------- Post added 01-14-19 at 11:01 AM ----------

Ok, sorry, I'm basically repeating my initial post with the second paragraph above, but please still address the first one if you wish.

01-14-2019, 12:37 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Its just all very awkward really, isn't it? It is a compromise and a cheap workaround to have to try and manage light spill from a flash you don't even want light from. Really, I don't think its worth the grief when you can get very budget priced triggers, even ones with Radio Remote power control, and a manual flash that includes an internal radio receiver. (I'm probably thinking the Yongnuo types here, but I'm not able to give the exact models off the top of my had as I don't use them myself.)

The older Cactus V6 and RF60 flash would also provide a good budget option I think, without P-TTL or HSS. How much exactly are you a able to spend? I think in the USA that Cactus combo will cost less than 200 dollars.
01-15-2019, 01:22 PM   #24

Original Poster
Unfortunately, I think I just discovered something else today regarding p-ttl if I wanted to do it:

Do K-x Built-In Flash and AF360FGZ together support wireless P-TTL ? - PentaxForums.com

With the KX, I guess this means that, even with a p-ttl flash and proper transmitter, it still wouldn't work as I tend to use manual M42 flashes..... something else I was not aware of. So, for now, Ill stick with the transmitter that's coming along with the manual flash I have.
01-15-2019, 02:12 PM   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Unfortunately, I think I just discovered something else today regarding p-ttl if I wanted to do it:

Do K-x Built-In Flash and AF360FGZ together support wireless P-TTL ? - PentaxForums.com

With the KX, I guess this means that, even with a p-ttl flash and proper transmitter, it still wouldn't work as I tend to use manual M42 flashes..... something else I was not aware of. So, for now, Ill stick with the transmitter that's coming along with the manual flash I have.
Yeah, you're making things very difficult for yourself, Jon.

Your M42 lenses can't meter for the pre-flash. Wide open only.

Be like a commercial photographer and go manual in all departments for static subjects. 'Manual' = 'Control'.

01-15-2019, 04:43 PM   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
... The older Cactus V6 and RF60 flash would also provide a good budget option I think, without P-TTL or HSS. How much exactly are you a able to spend? I think in the USA that Cactus combo will cost less than 200 dollars.
Other current alternative: Godox TT600 (US$65) and XPro-P (US$70). Remote M power control and HSS. But, like the RF60, a single-pin flash that will be manual only both on and off-camera.

Also, Godox does have TTL options at this time: the TT350-P mini speedlight ($85), the V860II (US$180) speedlights, and the AD200 (US$300; off-camera only) all can be used as off-camera TTL/HSS/remote power slaves to an XPro-P. But only the TT350-P can do P-TTL on-camera, and the V860II and AD200 require firmware updates to do P-TTL.

Ideally, we're hoping Godox will release a P-TTL firmware update for the TT685 non-Pentax speedlights (US$110) and/or release the TT685-P / V860II-P speedlights for Pentax, but so far no sign of this. So, not ready for primetime, yet. And, the lens issue is still going to override this.
01-21-2019, 10:05 AM   #27

Original Poster
Ok, so the RF-602 arrived today. The image shows what I was supposed to receive; however, only the larger RF-602RX was in the box. Since pictures can sometimes be deceiving, especially on the web, do I need the missing module to get this to work with the KX? So far, I cannot enable wireless on the KX with the RX unit attached to the flash. Before I contacted the vender about the missing item, I just wanted to be sure. Thanks!
Attached Images

01-21-2019, 11:35 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Can you clarify exactly what you mean by 'cannot enable wireless on the Kx' ..?
01-21-2019, 12:01 PM   #29

Original Poster
I am assuming that without something on the hot shoe (the TX module), wireless flash mode cannot be set and it is grayed out. Since my post, I've discovered that the module is in fact missing and I am trying to get one sent, or return the existing module and purchase elsewhere.
01-21-2019, 12:47 PM   #30
Veteran Member

The camera wireless flash mode has no relevance here ..... It only applies to using the built in flash in Optical P-TTL Wireless mode. Once you have a radio trigger on the hotshoe, it will receive the flash signal automatically (up to the max sync speed).