Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
01-11-2019, 01:43 PM   #1

Yongnuo Speedlite YN 460 II and Pentax KX, how to control flash wirelessly?

After many years of not really needing any flash for the KX, other than the onboard one, I recently have gotten into portrait photography. Initial results with the kit lens and using the KX flash to trigger the YN 460 II, which is located inside an umbrella softbox, have worked out pretty well, but I don't like the distortion I'm seeing, which is no doubt being caused by the small FL and my closeness to the lens (about 35 mm). So, I have switched to my Zeiss 135 mm F/3.5 lens. However, I have run into an issue I don't know how to solve. Since the distance between camera and subject is much greater now, I can no longer use the onboard flash to trigger the speedlite since the umbrella rear side is black and shields any extraneous light. I've tried using reflector cards to channel the KX flash light to the correct side of the umbrella, but it's just not bright enough. So, I'm looking for a cheap solution. Is there any way I can either wire a direct connection from camera hot shoe to flash, or some sort of wireless set up? It looks like there is a jack of some sort on the side of the speedite, but not sure what it's for (I lost the manual years ago and never used the speedlite for anything other than triggered by the camera flash). Anyway, wireless is preferred, but if a trigger cord could be bought long enough so as not to trip on it, I could go with that.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jon

01-11-2019, 02:04 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jon55 Quote
Is there any way I can either wire a direct connection from camera hot shoe to flash, or some sort of wireless set up?
The easiest solution is a hot shoe extension cable that does Pentax. Pentax makes one, but a clone like this JJC one works too:

TTL Off Camera Flash Cords maintains all on-camera functions (inc. TTL) for PENTAX Speedlite off-camera - JJC

Available on eBay and Amazon for about US$20.
01-11-2019, 02:04 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There are both wired and wireless hot shoe triggers.

http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/03/lighting-101-pc-cords-and-pocket.html?m=1

I use the wireless Yongnuo 560TX for Nikon on my KP and used it on my K-30. The canon version has a different connection on the hot shoe foot if I remember correctly and won’t work.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1363591-REG/yongnuo_yn_560_tx_ii_n_yn560txiin_manual_flash_controller.html

A wired trigger should just use a standard 3.5mm audio cable or a PC cable, one end on the flash the other on the hot shoe adapter. I’ve used them on older cameras, usually to trigger my wireless controller because I don’t like running around with a 30’ cable to trip over.

Last edited by skierd; 01-11-2019 at 02:12 PM.
01-11-2019, 02:16 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Just go cheap wireless, Jon!

01-11-2019, 02:32 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
The easiest solution is a hot shoe extension cable that does Pentax. Pentax makes one, but a clone like this JJC one works too:

TTL Off Camera Flash Cords maintains all on-camera functions (inc. TTL) for PENTAX Speedlite off-camera - JJC

Available on eBay and Amazon for about US$20.
Thanks, but I don't seem to be finding any at reasonable cost that are 10' or more long. I

would need something at least that length as to not trip over it.
01-11-2019, 02:33 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Just go cheap wireless, Jon!
This is how I'd really like to do it, but with the huge number of wireless units, I'm not sure what would work with the camera and flash. Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks.
01-11-2019, 02:50 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Yongnuo makes wireless triggers. They are basic and cheap but I have found them to be reliable as well. The one I use is the Yongnuo RF-602 which has no TTL or anything and will work with Pentax/Nikon/Canon even if you find one that says its for a specific brand. I have 2 of these and use them with my flashes and monolights.

01-11-2019, 02:52 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

This is how I'd really like to do it, but with the huge number of wireless units, I'm not sure what would work with the camera and flash. Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks.
Any of them, Jon, you've got a manual flash.

Pentax uses a standard hotshoe.

01-11-2019, 03:30 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Yes, and also I don't think the "P-TTL Cable" shown earlier is needed, as it's not a P-TTL flash.
01-11-2019, 04:31 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

I don't seem to be finding any at reasonable cost that are 10' or more long.
JJC do also make a 3m version of the same cable, as do others. Pretty close to 10 ft.

But, as has been mentioned, any old wireless flash trigger/receiver pair which fit a standard ISO hot shoe should indeed work too with your manual flash.

Like these, which you can find all over the place online under various brands for about $20.

01-11-2019, 05:20 PM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks, all. I went with the Yongnuo RF-602 vector mentioned. I assume I can add another receiver at some point for my other flash?

Not to change the subject, but while I'm talking about flashes, what would be a recommended off camera p-TTL flash I could use? I remember a few years ago, a generic one but it was quite expensive. I understand there may be a Chinese? made one that works as well. Thanks.
01-11-2019, 05:27 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks, all. I went with the Yongnuo RF-602 vector mentioned. I assume I can add another receiver at some point for my other flash?

Not to change the subject, but while I'm talking about flashes, what would be a recommended off camera p-TTL flash I could use? I remember a few years ago, a generic one but it was quite expensive. I understand there may be a Chinese? made one that works as well. Thanks.
Any of them, and a P-TTL one may also support HSS, check the specs.

Note that neither P-TTL (the Pentax TTL) nor HSS are supported by that Yongnuo you've just bought.
01-11-2019, 05:46 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The nice thing about the 560tx is it also allows you to change the flash settings on the camera instead of having to work directly on the flash. Just saying, that’s a big reason why I went with it.
01-11-2019, 06:01 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by skierd Quote
The nice thing about the 560tx is it also allows you to change the flash settings on the camera instead of having to work directly on the flash. Just saying, that’s a big reason why I went with it.
Yeah, I have that TX and three of their speedlights, Skierd, it all works a treat.

01-11-2019, 10:40 PM   #15
Veteran Member

what would be a recommended off camera p-TTL flash I could use?
There are quite a few around nowadays, inc many a Metz or Pentax unit. And good Chinese ones like the Yongnuo YN585EX , Shanny SN600FGZ and Godox TT350P spring to mind, and seem to have many happy Pentax users. But it's hard to make recommendations without knowing your budget and priority feature requirements.

Off-camera P-TTL can be handled many ways, inc adding radio triggers like the Cactus v6 II or the Godox X-Pro P into your setup.