Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
01-17-2019, 10:03 PM   #1
Forum Member

af-360fgz for off-camera with K-1?

I'm an utter neophyte when it comes to flash; I've long avoided it because I just really don't like the flat, head-on look of on-camera flash. Because I've really disliked it, I've never done much with it, and so I know very little.

I'm thinking I want to experiment and learn more about what I can do with flash, mostly off-camera to avoid that harsh head-on look.

So. I have a K-1, and I have an AF-360FGZ from a couple cameras back that I haven't used much. I'm leaning toward picking up some remote triggers (Pocket Wizard? Godox? Other?) and experimenting.

Is the 360 a good unit for this, at least at first? I'm thinking yes, except the 3-minute auto-power-off is going to irritate me, I'm sure -- from other threads it doesn't look like there is a way to disable this, but can anyone confirm?

And second, recommendations for a remote trigger system? Radio preferred over flash- or IR-controlled.

And third, tips and hints for the neophyte?

Thanks!!!

01-17-2019, 11:38 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by chd Quote
So. I have a K-1, and I have an AF-360FGZ from a couple cameras back that I haven't used much. I'm leaning toward picking up some remote triggers (Pocket Wizard? Godox? Other?) and experimenting.
If you want to keep using the AF-360FGZ then using two Cactus V6II radio trigger units would give you the best options (including remote power and zoom control, plus P-TLL and HSS).

Is the 360 a good unit for this, at least at first?
At first, yes, but there are more powerful speedlights with better recycling times.

I'm thinking yes, except the 3-minute auto-power-off is going to irritate me, I'm sure -- from other threads it doesn't look like there is a way to disable this, but can anyone confirm?
Well, that is going to be a royal pain, because I don't think any existing radio trigger would be able to wake up the AF 360 FGZ remotely. Unless that auto power off behaviour can be turned off, it would force you to consistently beat the 3min interval. I wouldn't want to build on such an approach.

And second, recommendations for a remote trigger system?
In the light of all the above, you ought to ask yourself whether you want to invest money into two Cactus V6II units, or rather sell the AF 360 FGZ and get a Godox X-Pro trigger and whatever compatible speedlight/strobe you see fit instead.

A Godox-centred system would be much more future proof, in case you want to grow your off-camera ambitions as there are many more lighting solutions available from Godox compared to Cactus. A V6II + RF60X combination is really nice, but you wouldn't be able to add a studio- or location strobe in the future, as you can do in the Godox system. At least it doesn't look like that after the Cactus RQ250 project was cancelled.

Another alternative is to use the cheapest possible trigger system you can find -- which won't support remote power level control, i.e., nothing beyond simple triggering at shutter speeds that do not exceed 1/200s -- and experiment with that. If you catch the bug -- as you should -- you can always sell the cheap trigger system.

Last edited by Class A; 01-18-2019 at 06:00 AM.
01-18-2019, 07:49 AM   #3
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
+1 for Cactus V6ii
01-18-2019, 10:53 AM   #4
chd
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
At first, yes, but there are more powerful speedlights with better recycling times.

{...}

In the light of all the above, you ought to ask yourself whether you want to invest money into two Cactus V6II units, or rather sell the AF 360 FGZ and get a Godox X-Pro trigger and whatever compatible speedlight/strobe you see fit instead.
Yeah, I'm leaning toward the latter -- the X-Pro is actually not expensive, if I'm looking at the right one ($70 US).

I'm not familiar with the wide range of speedlights out there; what are a couple you might recommend?

01-18-2019, 01:49 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
+1 for Cactus V6ii
+2

I use Cactus V6II with Pentax AF540x2; Pentax AF360x1; and Cactus RF 60 x1

Great system.

01-18-2019, 01:55 PM - 1 Like   #6
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm just a half-step ahead of you on the off-camera flash path. My first step was just using a PTTL cord. I also tried triggering an off-camera flash with the camera's popup (not an option on the K-1 of course). More recently I went for a Godox XProP (make sure it's the P for Pentax version) and Godox TT350P (again, P for Pentax). I bought them on ebay in a bundle, which was cheaper - cheaper even than getting a second-hand AF 360 FGZ II. I'm very happy with this combination, for my needs. I wanted something light-weight and compact (the TT350P fits the bill there) with PTTL, HSS and tilt and swivel head; I wasn't fussed about recycle times or battery life (YMMV). With the XProP I get remote control of zoom head, HSS, second-curtain sync and output (manual or TTL).

I'm mainly a nature rather than people photographer but I am enjoying this combination.

I'm counting on Godox releasing a version of one of their more powerful units (e.g. the TT685) with on and off-camera PTTL and HSS (as they have done in the rollout of coverage for Sony and Fuji), so it can eventually replace my Metz 58 AF1.

There are a couple of informative threads about the Godox XProP and its system which you should look at before plunging in. Some considerations:
1. The Godox off-camera system is really good and they offer a range of powerful strobes, but the radio control is only between Godox units.
2. The XProP has no pass-through function - you can't mount a flash on top of it as you can with other triggers.
3. At present the TT350 is the only Godox speedlite that offers on-camera and off-camera PTTL and HSS. The TT350P might not have sufficient power output, battery life or recycle speed for your needs whereas their high-output units like the AD200 might be overkill.

Anyway, here's a useful intro: The Godox XPro-P flash trigger is a "game changer" for Pentax photographers - DIY Photography

Of course the Pentax units are the only ones that offer weather-resistance.
And third, tips and hints for the neophyte?
Great info here:
http://strobist.blogspot.com/
https://neilvn.com/tangents/flash-photography-techniques/ - particularly check out his videos about flash modifiers, including what he calls the Black Foamie Thing
There are lots of good videos on YouTube. I found Joe McNally's informative.

And if you haven't already got it, get the Pentax flash guide (2nd ed + supplement) by our own McGregni: https://www.pentaxforums.com/articles/photo-articles/pentax-p-ttl-flash-guide-updated.html

Last edited by Des; 01-18-2019 at 02:39 PM.
01-18-2019, 03:01 PM - 3 Likes   #7

I'm an utter neophyte when it comes to flash; I've long avoided it because I just really don't like the flat, head-on look of on-camera flash. Because I've really disliked it, I've never done much with it, and so I know very little.

I'm thinking I want to experiment and learn more about what I can do with flash, mostly off-camera to avoid that harsh head-on look....
I love off-camera flash, but I honestly think there's a midway point you may want to stop at first, before you get into triggering, stands, and modifiers, and that's learning how to bounce your flash with a flag. On-camera flash can be made to look natural.

Sure, it's more limited than off-camera flash, and you have to have bounce surfaces around. But it only requires a speedlight, which is a helluva lot more convenient than running around, towing a light and umbrella on a lightstand behind you (or in a bag); let alone three lights/umbrellas/softboxes, etc. And even after you've mastered off-camera studio style lighting, you can still use on-camera flash for event/social shooting and chasing kids around the house.

It's also much easier to learn flash when you have all the bells and whistles at your command, and all you have to worry about is the flash. You can still learn about flash exposure, flash/ambient balance, and how to pay attention to and control flash intensity, color, direction, and quality. It'll also make learning off-camera flash a helluva lot easier if you master on-camera, first.

Just a thought. But I say, take a look at Neil van Nierkerk's Tangents website, which teaches you how to use on-camera flash, before you hit the Strobist for off-camera flash learning. David Hobby wrote the Strobist assuming you'd already hit the limits of on-camera flash and bouncing.

01-18-2019, 03:30 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Van Nierkerks site and books, "On Camera Flash " and "Off-Camera Flash" are essential reading.... Along with my Guides also of course !
01-18-2019, 06:37 PM - 1 Like   #9

I also love off camera flash. Totally agree with Inkista's comments. No need to throw immense amounts of money at it at first.. !! As Class A say's. A $5 trigger and receiver will work. You will just be required to do a little more walking.
Firstly you need to sit down and before picking equipment. Pick your prefered subject matter.. As this will determine the majority of your choices. As you can see here. Most of the guys plumped for more than a single speedlight. So expense has to be kept under control. But things can be added to along the way.. Right now I think it would be foolish not to look at Godox. But it's by no means the only answer. Never had an ultimate use for HSS or TTL yet. So don't pay for things you may or may not use.. ? Depends how much you want to spend ?

If you want to stay Manual the Yongnuo YN560 IV & Tx560 trigger is superb.

And then there's modifiers.......? To start out the fold up ones from Amazon are very good..

Last edited by stub; 01-18-2019 at 06:48 PM.
01-18-2019, 07:48 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Yeah, I'm leaning toward the latter -- the X-Pro is actually not expensive, if I'm looking at the right one ($70 US).
That's the right one.

I'm not familiar with the wide range of speedlights out there; what are a couple you might recommend?
Personally, I'd go for the AD200. It is the most versatile and powerful of the smaller Godox lights.

If you want a speedlight then you need to decide whether you want something AA-powered (TT600) or Li-Ion-powered providing much longer stamina (V850II/V860II).
I'm assuming both of these would give you HSS and TTL in combination with an XPro-P, but @inkista would be the expert. Note that none of the three lights I mentioned would support on-camera usage with P-TTL/HSS. The TT350P would, but it isn't more powerful than your AF 360 and has some further limitations.

BTW, I agree with inkista that "investing" (it's dead cheap as you can make it yourself) into a "Black Foamie Thing" is one of the best things you can do. I'm not advocating to throw money at a problem; you can have tons of fun with an on-camera flash and a BFT. However, if you already know that you want to do product photography or serious off-camera flash than I'd rather buy once than twice. Inkista is right, though, when going for an off-camera flash, you are not far away from wanting a light stand as well, plus light modifiers and suddenly you went from a casual on-camera flash user to a studio owner.

Last edited by Class A; 01-18-2019 at 08:01 PM.
01-19-2019, 10:02 AM   #11
chd
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all the input! Someone else had recommended the AD200 too - might be the way to go, and I'll still have the 360 if I need something on-camera.

I have done some experimenting with bouncing the on-camera flash too, and it's definitely an improvement. It probably wouldn't hurt to play with that more too. None of this is for any pro-level or paid work, just for getting better results in my hobby/enthusiast photography, and I don't really have space for a proper studio anyway... hmm. Thanks!
01-19-2019, 10:40 AM   #12

If its indoor... Forget speedlights altogether. Get on Ebay and get yourself a second hand 400 or 500W strobe.. And manual trigger. Not only can you plug it in an forget it. Fire it as quickly and as often as you like. But will have the invaluable modelling bulb. This is invaluable for seeking out where the shadows or highlights are when setting up your subject.
01-19-2019, 11:40 AM   #13
Pentaxian

I find myself wondering, why not just use the wireless already built into the AF360FGZ? I have one and it plays nicely with my Kx and K200D bodies. Not sure about the K1 though.
01-19-2019, 03:47 PM - 2 Likes   #14
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
I find myself wondering, why not just use the wireless already built into the AF360FGZ? I have one and it plays nicely with my Kx and K200D bodies. Not sure about the K1 though.
No popup flash on the K-1 (or K-3ii) to act as master/controller. Also the more recent entry-level models that have a popup flash (I think K-S1 onwards) don't have a master/controller function built in; the last one that did was the K-50. KP is the only current model with that combination.

If you mean using the AF360FGZ as controller for a slave, yes that's an option, but it needs line of sight; radio triggers overcome that limitation.