Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2019, 02:37 PM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dericali Quote
I guess the proof is in the pudding.

yes, that's what its all about!. Very interesting, thanks for going to the extra steps of taking the shots showing the additional FC amount. Just need to confirm, are you saying that this FC amount changes in response to inputs on the V6II while the flash is mounted on the V6II as in your picture? But that zoom changes are not being communicated.....

If so then there is apparently a different process going on between our two different firmware versions. Are you getting the expected output adjustments for your FC settings?

01-29-2019, 03:10 AM   #17

Original Poster
Zoom changes were not being communicated via TTL when it was off the mount, I'm not sure if this was a lens issue or the settings need to be adjusted, I will double check. But yeah I couldn't make it work at all in any configuration.

I didn't check if the FC was adjusting the output, but I assume it was, because the output was being adjusted in response to changes to the f-stop.

It'd possibly be worth leaving a question on the Cactus community page about this functionality and whether it's firmware specific because their community manager is normally pretty prompt in replying.
01-29-2019, 03:56 AM   #18
Pentaxian

The flash head zoom is not related to the lens when using the Cactus system ..... There is no 'auto zoom' like with the Pentax dedicated system. You need to operate the zoom manually from the V6II. The 'Swap Control' option for the dial is the easiest way to do this.

It would be good to confirm two things .... That your FC changes are updating on the flash display, and that the actual flash outputs are changing accurately in response to this.
01-29-2019, 06:41 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
I've tested this again, and my conclusion is still that once the RF60x is placed on the hotshoe on top of the V6II, that all radio communication ceases.
Have you set the V6II's "WORK RANGE" to "SHORT"?

If you have "WORK RANGE" set to "LONG" then the distance between V6II and RF60X will be too short to support radio communication.

01-29-2019, 07:25 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Yes, range is confirmed set to 'short' for me.

ClassA, what is your understanding of the expected behaviour for this configuration .... The way I have reported it, or how Dericali has described? And could differences between the earlier and later XTTL firmwares possibly be causing these different experiences?

From what has been detailed so far by Dericali, I am still sensing some gaps in what could be described as full evidence of complete and reliable TTL functioning ....
01-30-2019, 10:16 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Yes, range is confirmed set to 'short' for me.
OK, do you get reliable radio communication when manually changing the flash power (group mode = "M") on the V6II?

Does zoom control resume as soon as you pull of the RF60X from the V6II?

ClassA, what is your understanding of the expected behaviour for this configuration ...
I don't have much experience with the X-TTL firmware variants, but Dericali's experience makes more sense to me.

I'd be surprised to see radio communication disabled just because the RF60X is sitting on a hot-shoe.
FWIW, I just put my RF60X (in "S" mode) on my V6II and radio communication (including zoom control) continued to work. I'm using the multi-brand firmware variant, though.

I remember having tested the approach of insulating the centre hot-shoe contact (with a piece of paper) before mounting the RF60(X?) on the V6II and that this worked. I don't remember anymore what the impetus was for trying the insulation approach. Hence, I cannot say what would go wrong, if anything, without the insulation. I'm pretty sure I tested the approach due to a request from someone because personally I don't put flashes on top of the V6II.

If it helps anyone, I could rerun the test with and without insulation, but as I'm using the multi-brand variant, I'd have to reflash the firmware on both V6II and RF60X to try. I think you'd be quicker yourself to see whether placing a piece of paper into the V6II's female hot-shoe connector does change anything for the better.

From what has been detailed so far by Dericali, I am still sensing some gaps in what could be described as full evidence of complete and reliable TTL functioning ...
I have no such doubts.

If the radio communication is working and there is no interference from the centre-pin triggering with the radio-based triggering, then why wouldn't it work? Again, I don't think Cactus would have gone to the length of trying to detect whether the RF60X sits on a hot-shoe and then disable certain functionality. First, that would be extra programming effort for no apparent gain. Second, I doubt it would be even possible to detect placement in a hot-shoe, given the RF60X's minimal hot-shoe contacts.

It is possible that the X-TTL firmware versions you and Dericali are using behave differently; my guess is as good as yours. Theoretically, a different V6II flash system configuration could make a difference as well, but I very much doubt it.

Last edited by Class A; 01-30-2019 at 10:31 PM.
01-31-2019, 01:25 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Further tests following ClassA's post just above .....

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
OK, do you get reliable radio communication when manually changing the flash power (group mode = "M") on the V6II?
No .... tested using TTL & M modes, plus Flash Zoom, and no response to any inputs when the RF60x is mounted on the V6II.

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Does zoom control resume as soon as you pull of the RF60X from the V6II?
Yes .... and so does output control using both TTL and M modes.

I then took the flash off the trigger and tested it in extreme close proximity to the V6II hotshoe. I had the flash foot almost touching the hotshoe, literally 2-3mm distance, and I got 100% reliable operation for TTL & M modes plus zoom. So the distance difference between my on and off configurations was less than 5mm, and yet I got 100% reliable operation when off the V6II, and totally zero response when mounted on the hotshoe...... ??

As I've said before, and a while back when reporting on this in another context, the impression I am getting is that it is the actual mounting process that is causing a sort of instant cut-out .... kind of like a switch effect. But as you say ClassA, what would be the purpose of this, and could it even be implemented technically given the basic contacts?

I recall Antonio at Cactus referring to the option of blocking the contact with tape in some other context .... I'll dig out that thread, but I've got a feeling it was in response to a question about getting TTL operations with the RF60x mounted on the V6II ......
02-13-2019, 07:03 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Remember that changing the room lighting makes no difference at all to what the flash does. I suspect that what you think might be happening is not in fact happening. Can you confirm what exact firmware you are using on both V6II and RF60x? Also what group is activated on the V6II and (if XTTL firmware) what mode is the group set to?

Regarding the bracket, the OP in the thread I linked to above abandoned the whole thing soon afterwards, all too unwieldy in practice. I think the same will prove true for your Cactus stack ......
Cactus has released a firmware update that allows for TTL on mixed brands of flashes and cameras...however Pentax and Canon are not included (probably due to the lads wanting to keep things proprietary). On the Cactus website there is a sub web page dedicated to their new X-TTL series of gear. Take a look there.
I'm having issues with my K1 MkII not recognizing my Cactus system. My Cactus system will fire 4 flashes including my 540 BUT the metadata reports the flash(es) did not fire leaving me with having to manually adjust settings to match the room.
I have used Cactus flashes mounted on top the transmitter without issue. It is a bit clumsy but nobody really cares what your rig looks like as long as it works. The Yongnuo has Pentax compatible flashes with built in P-TTL and are able to act as on camera triggers for each other. (Unfortunately Pentax decided not to build the radio transiever into the K1). .At this time Yongnuo makes a trigger called RF-603 IIN3 that appears to work with various Pentax cameras with mixed results. Really inexpensive.

Last edited by MikeDSr; 02-13-2019 at 07:13 AM.
02-14-2019, 03:15 AM   #24

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeDSr Quote
I'm having issues with my K1 MkII not recognizing my Cactus system. My Cactus system will fire 4 flashes including my 540 BUT the metadata reports the flash(es) did not fire leaving me with having to manually adjust settings to match the room.
What are you trying to do here? use PTTL with 4 flashes? I would recommend seeing if the rig will work without the Pentax flash first and then seeing if it will work with Cactus only (assuming you're using the RF60X) and then add the Pentax back into the mix and see if that works.
02-14-2019, 08:40 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dericali Quote
What are you trying to do here? use PTTL with 4 flashes? I would recommend seeing if the rig will work without the Pentax flash first and then seeing if it will work with Cactus only (assuming you're using the RF60X) and then add the Pentax back into the mix and see if that works.
No. As I said only my Yongnuo RF585EX designed specifically for Pentax cameras is PTTL capable either as Master or Slave. Off camera flash controller is what I am referencing. The K1II is not recognizing my Cactus as having fired...but does remote activate all attached speedlights. I am in the process of looking to go PTTL all the way, but want the off camera option as well via Hot Shoe PTTL capable transceiver.
02-14-2019, 09:01 AM - 1 Like   #26
Pentaxian

Are you referring to the Metadata for "flash fired"? I don't know it that necessarily would be recorded correctly with radio triggers ....I very much doubt that any effort would have been made by either Pentax or Cactus to have it recording correctly. You may just have to enter the metadata manually on a computer if it has importance for you.

Also, I don't think the Yongnuo P-TTL flash can function as a wireless master, only as a slave ......
02-14-2019, 03:42 PM   #27

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeDSr Quote
I have used Cactus flashes mounted on top the transmitter without issue. It is a bit clumsy but nobody really cares what your rig looks like as long as it works.
I think it would work, but it would be heavier and clumsier than a just using a cheap flash that can do PTTL. It's also going to put a lot more strain on the hot shoe mount, remember that the torque increases with the distance from the fulcrum, so if you're running around with the camera and the double combo mounted for several hours at a time it could a problem.
02-15-2019, 04:08 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My Yongnuo 585 fires as both master and slave and is quite a good option at a killer price point. If the K1 can't tell the flash fired it hasn't recorded your shot with the metered settings. The histograph will show you either under or over exposed the shot. It therefore increases your editing time and potentially screws with color temperature and tone as well.
I shoot Raw DNG with the camera set to manual so I am controlling all aspects of the hardware. I have ordered the Cactus V6II and have downloaded the Pentax firmware update. It should take care of any PTTL issues. I shoot off camera flash with most of my portraits in studio or theater settings. No worry about stressing the hot shoe. I have 2 speedlights that work as mater and slave via the hot shoe. For off camera I may need a couple more V6II PTTL for large groups.
02-15-2019, 05:30 AM   #29
Pentaxian

The spec info I can see online suggests that the Yongnuo does not support Wireless P-TTL master functions, only slave ....

585ex Pentax | Yongnuo USA

When you say it "fires as both master and slave", could you describe in more detail exactly how that works? And what control over the slave flash does the"master" mode give?
02-15-2019, 07:30 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sorry...my lousy sentence structure. The Yongnuo can be fired as slave by the Cactus but isn't read by the K1 as having flashed; unlike while sitting atop the camera hot shoe shooting in PTTL mode.
I will do further testing when my additional gear arrives. I really like the 585 and the Cactus gear. Good value for the money. Don't know if the same value for price in the UK.