Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-29-2019, 08:35 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Cactus V5 and XPro-P

I have V5 units that I currently use to fire my Pentax AF360FGZ flashes, one Yongnuo YN585EX, and a Godox AD600BM. The V5 works seamlessly with all of them.

If I purchased the Godox XPro-P to have power and HSS control over the AD600BM, would I have any option to include the V5 in the setup with the XPro-P to still fire the Pentax and Yongnuo flashes along with the AD600BM?

Thanks ahead for any relevant information.

01-29-2019, 12:29 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I dont you will be able to do anything with the V5. Your only option will be to trigger the Pentax and Yongnuo in slave mode.
01-29-2019, 01:11 PM - 1 Like   #3

Honestly don't know if it would work, but maybe get an X1R receiver (since you only need a manual connection, either the Canon or Nikon versions should work), and stack your V5 transmitter on top of it?

I don't think there's any way to get the V5s to talk directly to the Godox 2.4 GHz signalling, though.

Your other option might be to drop cash on two Godox TT600 speedlights. They're US$65 apiece. Single-pin manual flashes (no TTL, and no HSS on a camera hotshoe), but they have built-in Godox X transceivers that will allow for M power / group control and HSS over radio from an XPro-P transmitter.

Last edited by inkista; 01-29-2019 at 01:28 PM.
01-29-2019, 01:12 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I consulted with someone, and was told that the XPro-P may have a sync option that would mean plugging a V5 into the XPro-P, but that might be a little awkward. Since the XPro-P does not have a hot shoe on top of it, I cannot mount a V5 on top of it either. I guess if I bought the XPro-P it would be mainly used just to control the AD600BM or any other Godox lighting I may have.

Thank you for the reply.

---------- Post added 01-29-19 at 03:13 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by inkista Quote
Honestly don't know if it would work, but maybe get an X1R receiver (since you only need a manual connection, either the Canon or Nikon versions should work), and stack your V5 transmitter on top of it?

I don't think there's any way to get the V5s to talk directly to the Godox 2.4 GHz signalling, though.

Your other option might be to drop cash on two Godox TT600 speedlights. They're US$65. Single-pin manual flashes (no TTL, and no HSS on a camera hotshoe), but they have built-in Godox X transceivers that will allow for M power control and HSS over radio from an XPro transmitter.
Thanks for your reply. I appreciate the information. It is good to know about any possibilities.

01-29-2019, 03:13 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
I consulted with someone, and was told that the XPro-P may have a sync option that would mean plugging a V5 into the XPro-P, but that might be a little awkward...
The Godox XPro transmitter does have a 2.5mm sync port that can be configured as either an input or an output (with C.Fn SYNC). The trick is whether the V5's 3.5mm sync port can act as an input from a transmitter, or is only an output to a flash.
01-29-2019, 05:58 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The Godox XPro transmitter does have a 2.5mm sync port that can be configured as either an input or an output (with C.Fn SYNC). The trick is whether the V5's 3.5mm sync port can act as an input from a transmitter, or is only an output to a flash.

One customer service agent mentioned something to that effect. I suppose I could test for that if I buy the XPro-P. Thanks for the advice/information. It is really helpful.
01-30-2019, 02:52 AM - 1 Like   #7

One customer service agent mentioned something to that effect. I suppose I could test for that if I buy the XPro-P. Thanks for the advice/information. It is really helpful.
Hello, about the XPro, I can confirm that the sync port can be used as input port without issue. You just need a sync cable with a sync port on one end and 2.5mm jack on the other end. Then you plug the sync end on your camera's sync port and the 2.5mm end on the Xpro. I use the XPro this way when I have a flash on my camera's hot shoe, the XPro is connected to my camera's sync port. So this is a valid option for triggering your XPro at the same time you have other device on your camera's shoe. But you need to hold your XPro someway, with a bracket or similar device.

I don't have a V5 to check, but after reading the manual it seems that the V5's sync port is only an output port, to be used when the V5 is configured as a receiver, to trigger a flash, so the V5 should be always on your camera's hot shoe.

The V5 have the upper hot shoe port where you can put a flash when is configured in TX mode (as described in the user guide), so, if you can trigger a flash, you can put a XPro instead of a flash, and it should work. Stacking Godox triggers on top of other triggers is a common practice here.

In conclusion I see three possible solutions:

A. V5 in TX mode on your camera's hot shoe, and XPro stacked on top. You can control your AD600, but no HSS, just manual control. I have used similar setups stacking my Godox triggers on top of Cactus and other triggers.
B. V5 in TX mode on camera. Then Xpro triggered by a sync cord (sync end -> 2.5mm end). You will need some kind of bracket to hold your Xpro. No HSS for you.
C. Similar to B. XProP on camera. V5 mounted on auxiliar hot-shoe like this: amazon.com : JJC Standard Hot Shoe Adapter with Extra PC sync connection Port & 3.5mm Mini Phone Connection Port for Connecting Cameras to Additional Off-camera Flash, Studio Light / Strobes or Other Accessories : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&. Then a sync to sync cable to connect this shoe to your camera's hotshoe, and your V5 on top of this auxiliary shoe. You will need bracket or something to hold your V5. You'll have HSS for your AD600, but, for speeds above normal sync speed, no signal on sync port, so only the Godox trigger will fire.

I'm quite sure it can work the way I told you, but as I don't have a V5 to check I can't guarantee 100%. I have made this setups with a cactus V6II or rf605 triggers instead of a V5 and worked for me.

Regards.
01-30-2019, 03:33 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

The trick is whether the V5's 3.5mm sync port can act as an input from a transmitter, or is only an output to a flash.
Yes, the V5's sync port acts as an input when the V5 is in Tx mode.
(Actually, it acts as both input and output at the same time.)

I just tested and confirmed that the XPro-P can trigger a V5 with a sync-cable.
As has been pointed out already, you'll need a cable that has a 3.5mm plug at one end (-> V5) and a 2.5mm plug at the other end (-> XPro-P).

The cable I use as a shutter release cable for my cameras (when I want to trigger them remotely using radio triggers) works as a sync-cable between the XPro-P and V5 as Pentax cameras also need a 2.5mm plug for their remote shutter release port.

You'll "only" be left with the challenge to somehow support the V5. Perhaps you could use a flash bracket; even one with a cold-shoe would work.

01-30-2019, 05:16 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
As has been pointed out already, you'll need a cable that has a 3.5mm plug at one end (-> V5) and a 2.5mm plug at the other end (-> XPro-P).
This is a very good option too, didn't think about this combination. Is like stack the V5 on top of the XPro, but without a hot shoe. And surely the Xpro will send a trigger signal to the V5 with HSS too. But yes, you need a bracket. Don't you think that stacking the Xpro on top of the V5 is a valid option too? In this case you don't need a bracket to hold a trigger.

It was not clear that the V5 sync port was IN and OUT port, not clear in the doc. Thanks for checking it, I don't have a V5.

Regards.
01-30-2019, 06:14 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by morenjavi Quote
And surely the Xpro will send a trigger signal to the V5 with HSS too.
I haven't tried that yet.

One would need to trigger a flash via the V5 that supports manual HSS mode, though, or operate a regular speedlight at full power (incurring at least a gradient and possibly timing-related artefacts such as non-illuminated areas, etc.)

Don't you think that stacking the Xpro on top of the V5 is a valid option too?
Sure, that should be a good option, if neither HSS nor P-TTL are required. Any of the latter necessitate the XPro-P to make direct connection with the camera's hot-shoe as the V5 does not support a pass-through option. Only single pin triggering is supported for devices sitting on the V5.

It was not clear that the V5 sync port was IN and OUT port, not clear in the doc. Thanks for checking it, I don't have a V5.
Not a problem. I was curious myself.
01-30-2019, 09:35 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yes, the V5's sync port acts as an input when the V5 is in Tx mode.
(Actually, it acts as both input and output at the same time.)

The cable I use as a shutter release cable for my cameras (when I want to trigger them remotely using radio triggers) works as a sync-cable between the XPro-P and V5 as Pentax cameras also need a 2.5mm plug for their remote shutter release port.

You'll "only" be left with the challenge to somehow support the V5. Perhaps you could use a flash bracket; even one with a cold-shoe would work.
This seems to be a valid method. What I want to do is have the XPro-P be in touch with the AD600BM for power adjustment, HSS, and other control. So, with the XPro-P actually on the camera, that seems viable to do what I need for that. For the flashes that I have V5 units on, the cable going to a V5 unit from the XPro-P seems that it would enable the V5 transmitter unit to communicate for non-HSS at least, or HSS possibly also (I have not tested for that yet). Having the power control over the AD600BM, while still being able to fire the flashes with V5 receiver units during at least non-HSS activity at the same time was what I was looking for, and the method you have described seems like it will do that. Since the V5 will be plugged into the XPro-P, I am assuming it would not require an extra hot shoe device as was explained in a method that someone else mentioned.

I have a Cactus "Shutter Release Cable" Cables | CACTUS which I bought to trigger my shutter remotely. I am curious as to if that would be the cable I could use to connect the Xpro-P which would be on the camera hot shoe to the V5 (transmitting unit) for the method you have described.

I also have a TTL Flash Cord, in case that could be relevant to any other methods. Shortcut to product is: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1069179-REG/vello_ocs_p3_off_camera_ttl_flash_cord.html I have successfully used it for off camera flash with my Vello Rotating Bracket, shortcut to bracket product is here:https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/743002-REG/Vello_CB_100_Quickdraw_Rot...et.html?sts=pi

---------- Post added 01-30-19 at 11:53 AM ----------

I just wanted to mention that I ordered the XPro-P from B and H today.

Last edited by C_Jones; 01-30-2019 at 10:04 AM.
01-30-2019, 07:16 PM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

What I want to do is have the XPro-P be in touch with the AD600BM for power adjustment, HSS, and other control. So, with the XPro-P actually on the camera, that seems viable to do what I need for that.
Yes, I see absolutely no reason why this shouldn't work, at least for shutter speeds that don't exceed the sync-speed. I would expect some usability even for HSS-range shutter speeds, provided you use the V5-controlled lights at full power.

N.B.: I used a somewhat cautious phrasing above because I haven't actually tried to take a picture, validating that the V5 controlled flashes will correctly contribute. I just used the XPro-P's test button to confirm that the V5's sync port can act as an input. Sometimes using the test button is not a reliable test for what happens with actual trigger events from the camera. Having said that, it would be a colossal surprise, if the setup didn't work.

Since the V5 will be plugged into the XPro-P, I am assuming it would not require an extra hot shoe device as was explained in a method that someone else mentioned.
Correct, you won't need an extra hot-shoe device. You'll just need to find a way to stop the V5 from simply dangling off the cable that connects it with the XPro-P. Your rotating flash bracket may come in handy for this, but obviously could be considered overkill. You'd have the option of mounting another flash on the V5 then, though.

I have a Cactus "Shutter Release Cable" Cables | CACTUS which I bought to trigger my shutter remotely. I am curious as to if that would be the cable I could use to connect the Xpro-P which would be on the camera hot shoe to the V5 (transmitting unit) for the method you have described.
That's exactly the cable that will work to connect the XPro-P with the V5.

I also have a TTL Flash Cord, in case that could be relevant to any other methods.
I don't see how that would come in handy.

A further option, not yet mentioned, would be to connect the V5 to the PC-sync socket on your camera, if it has one. That may be an alternative if you need your shutter release cable for its original purpose or prefer the cable coming from the camera rather than the XPro-P.

Last edited by Class A; 01-30-2019 at 07:23 PM.
01-31-2019, 09:26 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yes, I see absolutely no reason why this shouldn't work, at least for shutter speeds that don't exceed the sync-speed. I would expect some usability even for HSS-range shutter speeds, provided you use the V5-controlled lights at full power.

N.B.: I used a somewhat cautious phrasing above because I haven't actually tried to take a picture, validating that the V5 controlled flashes will correctly contribute. I just used the XPro-P's test button to confirm that the V5's sync port can act as an input. Sometimes using the test button is not a reliable test for what happens with actual trigger events from the camera. Having said that, it would be a colossal surprise, if the setup didn't work.

Correct, you won't need an extra hot-shoe device. You'll just need to find a way to stop the V5 from simply dangling off the cable that connects it with the XPro-P. Your rotating flash bracket may come in handy for this, but obviously could be considered overkill. You'd have the option of mounting another flash on the V5 then, though.

That's exactly the cable that will work to connect the XPro-P with the V5.

I don't see how that would come in handy.

A further option, not yet mentioned, would be to connect the V5 to the PC-sync socket on your camera, if it has one. That may be an alternative if you need your shutter release cable for its original purpose or prefer the cable coming from the camera rather than the XPro-P.
I have the X-sync socket on both my K-3 II and my K-1 II, so the connection to a V-5 unit that way would be viable. Also the connection via the XPro-P would be a valid option. I am assuming both could be achieved using the shutter cable I mentioned. If I got a smaller bracket, I could mount the V5 unit on that to eliminate the dangling factor.

The flashes with the V5 units on them I would only use when shooting at the 160 shutter speed and under, which is all that the V5 will allow with my cameras usually. If I want the HSS alone, I will only fire the AD600BM. If I need the combination of both the AD600BM and flashes with the V5 units on them, I would also just stay at 160 shutter speed or under, for example shooting a group or portraits, where fast movement is not required.

Having control over the power, HSS, and other features of the AD600BM while using it alone or in the scenario mentioned above are valuable options. Since the AD600BM contributes quite a bit of power by itself, it is capable of providing fill for outdoor activities at higher speeds while still including the environmental background and ambient light that is included. Also, I can use it for other types of shooting and with a large selection of modifiers.

So having the option of using the XPro-P and V5 units for combination lighting or for isolating the AD600BM should be useful per the method you mentioned.

According to tracking information, I supposedly should be receiving the XPro-P trigger tomorrow. I have an appointment tomorrow, but will most likely do some testing with it within a few days.

Thank you for the technical information.

Last edited by C_Jones; 01-31-2019 at 05:06 PM.
02-06-2019, 11:02 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I recently received my Godox XPro-P transmitter. I tried using the XPro-P with it directly attached to my camera hot shoe, two V5 units attached to off camera flash units (Yongnuo YN585EX and Pentax AF360FGZ), the Godox AD600BM, and a V5 unit attached to the XPro-P via a shutter cable. Using this setup the XPro-P had control over the AD600BM with all available functions, including HSS. The flashes with the V5 units on them did fire along with the AD600BM, but did not keep up with it while using HSS. So for shooting approximately at 160 shutter speed and under, the AD600BM and flashes performed correctly. Please note for this scenario I also that I set the sync feature of the XPro-P to "Out". I noticed that if I set the XPro-P sync feature to "In" that the flashes would not fire, but the AD600BM would, so that is handy to have in case I do not need the flashes.

If I connected the V5 unit to the camera at the X-Sync port instead of directly to the XPro-P, I noticed that the AD600BM and the flashes both would fire no matter if I had the XPro-P sync feature set to "In" or "Out". So I would most likely use scenario I mentioned above for the flexibility if I need it.

Please note that I used the Cactus shutter cable I mentioned in an earlier post in this thread for V5 connection to the XPro-P, and for the connection of the V5 to the camera X-Sync port I used a sync cable that came with my V5 units for that purpose.

I may get a bracket to support the V5 that I attach to the XPro-P to eliminate the dangling, depending on what I see for products.

Thanks for the helpful advice I received.

Last edited by C_Jones; 02-06-2019 at 11:49 AM.
02-07-2019, 01:31 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Thanks for confirming that the approach indeed works.

The flashes with the V5 units on them did fire along with the AD600BM, but did not keep up with it while using HSS.
Yes, that's to be expected.

At full power, you may get some more mileage out of them -- as they'd effectively be operating in "Hyper Sync" mode -- but using simple single pin triggering, HSS is not directly achievable.

So for shooting approximately at 160 shutter speed and under, the AD600BM and flashes performed correctly.
So are you seeing issues at 1/180s?

That would be a little disappointing as all gadgets involved shouldn't have any trouble at this shutter speed.

If you connect the V5 to the X-Sync port of your camera directly, 1/180s should be easily possible.