Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2019, 07:15 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Possible to trigger Metz 48 AF-1 optically?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I recently bought a used Metz 48 AF-1 and I want to use it in a studio setting as an off-camera, manually-set dumb flash that is triggered optically when other flashes go off, but I can't figure it out. I have no trouble doing this with my YN560-II. Anybody know if this is possible?

Thanks!

02-10-2019, 07:48 AM - 1 Like   #2

No way. The Metz flashes have no generic slave cell built in. You need to use another flash (58 AF-1 and up) to use as a master or control flash, the 48 AF-1 can be used as a slave, but only in wireless PTTL mode. Better for you to buy a simple generic transmitter and receiver, or a servo cell to couple with the flash.

Edit: of course you can use the built in flash, of the cameras the are able to, to trigger the 48 AF-1, but only in PTTL wirless mode, not in manual mode.

Last edited by Éire69; 02-10-2019 at 01:45 PM. Reason: adding info
02-10-2019, 07:52 AM - 1 Like   #3

Something of this kind:

Maxsima - Optical flash Slave Trigger per tutti i flash Nikon, Pentax, Olympus, Panasonic ecc., ISO (non per Canon o Sony): Amazon.it: Elettronica
02-10-2019, 08:31 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hello Edgar,

Once in Slave mode, make sure both flashes are on the same channel ( 1 to 4) It can be also triggered by the body flash if your camera has one. Good luck.

02-10-2019, 08:52 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You could get an optical remote trigger flash mount - check Amazon or Ebay.

Something like this: amazon.com : Seagull SYK-3 Wireless Flash Slave Trigger Remote Optical Sensor &1/4 inch Tripod Mount for Canon EOS Ti5 Ti4 Nikon D7100 D5600 Fuji Yongnuo Flash DSLR Camera : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&
02-10-2019, 09:24 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I think Metz use the term "servo" mode for dumb optical triggering. Might be worth checking the manual or menus for that mode....
02-11-2019, 08:20 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Hello,

I have the AF 48-1. Just to clarify, Metz is a bit confusing when they talk about the slave capabilities of this flash, so yes, sometimes it uses the term SERVO instead of SLAVE.

About remote controlling this flash. As 'Eire69' pointed you can only fire this flash in remote mode with another P-TTL flash. I can fire mine with my K5's built-in flash, but also (surprisingly) with my Godox AD200 in PTTL mode. Anyway you need PTTL mode (the Metz needs to detect the pre-flash).

After the (I think) v4.0 firmware version, you can program your Metz so, in slave mode, you can set power manually. That is, you still need a master PTTL flash to trigger the Metz but you can set the power from 1/128 to 1/1, in full EV steps.

Maybe still a bit limited (it needs to detect a preflash), but can be done. About how to set SLAVE/SERVO mode, you can chek here: Enabling "Servo" mode on Metz 48 AF-1....: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
The metz's photocell is not very sensitive, you need to point your main flash so the light can reach it, so your main light needs to be at right side, and the Metz flash at left side, to avoid misfires.

If you need a really dumb slave mode, without preflash, then it's better to search for a external photocell or a cheap pair of radio trigger/receiver.

Regards.