Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
02-14-2019, 04:41 AM   #16

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Well, the flash came in and I messed around with it a little bit last night. I used the RF60X as the master and put the TT350-P on the V6II. I could not get the flash to change power or zoom. I need to verify the firmware on the new flash. All the Cactus gear has been updated to the most recent Pentax firmware settings. I was able to fire the TT350 which, at this point, is enough for me.

I'll continue to mess around with things tonight but, I can't see how this is going to work. I'll assume the TT350 needs to be in manual mode when placed on the V6II which is in slave mode. Using the RF60X as the master, this should theoretically work right? Shouldn't take too much tinkering. I'll go back over the manuals tonight when I get home from work. I didn't have a lot of time last night.

I have to admit, I'm getting closer to listing the Cactus gear for sale and moving over to Godox for everything. I like maintaining one system. I do hate to loose out on the Cactus investment though. I also really do like the Cactus system. Godox just has a lot to offer right now. With the on camera P-TTL flash they offer plus all the A/C powered studio gear, it's hard to ignore.

02-14-2019, 07:15 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Yes, I think you should move one way or another. The V6II is really wasted being used as a simple receiver for basic manual triggering, and the RF60x also is surely more at home now as a P-TTL/HSS slave, not sitting on a camera.

The V6II system is designed to latch onto aspects of the P-TTL Protocol and provide remote control over dedicated system flashes ...presumably there are some things different about the Godox TT350p that distinquishes it from standard dedicated system types (no optical wireless being one obvious thing). These differences mean it cannot be "latched onto" correctly by the V6Ii.

So the Godox flash then is more suited to on camera working or as a slave when controlled by a compatible Godox system trigger.

If only Cactus also had an on-camera P-TTL flash and the planned strobe they were developing within their range!!
02-14-2019, 07:24 AM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
Yes, I think you should move one way or another. The V6II is really wasted being used as a simple receiver for basic manual triggering, and the RF60x also is surely more at home now as a P-TTL/HSS slave, not sitting on a camera.

The V6II system is designed to latch onto aspects of the P-TTL Protocol and provide remote control over dedicated system flashes ...presumably there are some things different about the Godox TT350p that distinquishes it from standard dedicated system types (no optical wireless being one obvious thing). These differences mean it cannot be "latched onto" correctly by the V6Ii.

So the Godox flash then is more suited to on camera working or as a slave when controlled by a compatible Godox system trigger.

If only Cactus also had an on-camera P-TTL flash and the planned strobe they were developing within their range!!
To be clear, I only used the configuration I had as a proof of concept. I wanted to make sure the TT350P would work on a V6II before putting out the money for a new one. I don't normally use a flash on camera in these types of situation. Even when I use a fill flash, it's typically off camera.

Yeah, I really wish the strobe at least had worked out for Cactus. Even if they don't have a native P-TTL on camera flash, there are easy solutions to that using either Pentax, Sigma or Metz flashes within the Cactus ecosystem. I bought the TT350P because it is low cost, able to provide P-TTL on camera, has a small form factor and provides access to the studio lights. I'd love to stick with Cactus but, I feel like they will need to make a move to stay relevant. That being said, I'm going to list my Cactus gear here. Hopefully, I can get what I need for it. If I can't, I'll keep it and slowly transition. I can use all the gear I have now but, it'd be nice to simplify things.

Last edited by Navmaxlp; 02-14-2019 at 07:30 AM.
02-15-2019, 03:09 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Navmaxlp Quote
I used the RF60X as the master and put the TT350-P on the V6II. I could not get the flash to change power or zoom.
Which (exact) firmware versions are you using on the RF60X and the V6II?

If you can control/fire the RF60X from an on-camera V6II using P-TTL, you should be fine with respect to firmware versions.

Did you set the flash system on the V6II (in RX mode) to "Pentax"?
If not, did you leave it on "AUTO" and did the V6II recognise the TT350-P as a Pentax flash?

Note that the order of turning devices on matters.
Connect the TT350-P to the V6II, turn it on, make sure it is in "P-TTL" mode and only then turn on the V6II in "RX" mode.

If the auto detection of the V6II doesn't work with the TT350-P, try setting the "flash system" in the V6II to "Pentax".
If you still have no luck then you may also experiment with choosing one of the available flash profiles (available for the Pentax flash system).

I'll assume the TT350 needs to be in manual mode when placed on the V6II which is in slave mode.
If you use the TT350-P in manual mode on the V6II, it won't support anything more than firing.

Remote power and zoom control are predicated on the TT350-P being in "P-TTL" mode, i.e., the mode in which it would successfully operate on a camera as a P-TTL flash supporting HSS.

02-15-2019, 03:21 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Yeah, I really wish the strobe at least had worked out for Cactus.
Same here.

The RQ250 was really well-designed and it is a pity it didn't materialise.
Even then, though, Cactus would have still had to develop a more powerful strobe (500/600 Ws) to compete with Godox for a complete lineup.

FWIW, there is the Hensel Certo strobe and the Aurora Dante 400 that both have built-in Cactus receivers but I haven't heard about the latter in a long while and the Hensel product is woefully under-featured. So at the moment I don't think there is a viable Cactus-based strobe option.
02-15-2019, 10:12 AM   #21

Original Poster
V6II is on Pen.A.005. RF60X is on A.008. Turned things on in the order prescribed. I can see the settings change on the V6II but no changes on the TT350-P. I've got the Cactus gear listed for sale now. I figure if it sells, great. If not, I can slowly transition from one system to another and still have a backup system if needed. Thanks for all the help gents. Much appreciated as always.
02-15-2019, 09:39 PM   #22
Pentaxian

V6II is on Pen.A.005. RF60X is on A.008.
These should work, but I have not much personal experience with them (I use the multi-brand version).

Turned things on in the order prescribed.
Have you also tried to set the "FLASH SYSTEM" to "PENTAX" on the V6II receiver?

Have you used the regular "P-TTL" mode on the TT350-P?

I can see the settings change on the V6II but no changes on the TT350-P.
Just to clarify, you shouldn't expect changes on the TT350-P's display, but test shots should result in different levels of power output and obviously the zoom setting should change.

I'm not saying that it is completely implausible that the V6II and TT350-P are not compatible, just trying to establish that you indeed gave yourself every chance for a positive outcome. I'd find it disappointing if the TT350-P really didn't play with the V6II as the latter is compatible with a wide range of P-TTL flashes, some of which include Godox models.

BTW, I fully sympathise with the desire to simplify to using one system only and for many aspiring to use speedlights and strobes, the Godox system is clearly the better choice right now.

02-16-2019, 10:17 AM - 1 Like   #23

Original Poster
Well, the flashes and triggers have sold and I've ordered the XPro-P controller and a TT600 flash. I've got more left over from the sale so I'll be looking for input on what else to get. I'll start another post however since that's a separate issue from this one. Thanks for all the help and advice. Wouldn't be anywhere near where I am with my photography without this forum. One of the best reasons for buying into the Pentax system.
08-13-2019, 09:30 AM   #24
Forum Member

Just got a TT350P (v1.2) for my Cactus V6 II (PEN.A.005) ecosystem. I use an off-camera RF60x as my main flash and sometimes use an AF360FGZ on a V6 II as either fill or as a gelled background light. The idea was that the TT350P would basically be a smaller, slimmer replacement for the AF360FGZ since I don't use it that often, but still end up carrying it around "just in case".

So far, I have found that the TT350P seems to work fine on camera; TTL, HSS, Manual mode all seem to work okay. On the remote V6 II, TTL seems to work fine, and usually remote manual power control also works. However, so far, HSS doesn't seem to work, either with the TT350P's HSS mode on and off. Also, the flash head auto zoom doesn't seem to respond to manually changing the zoom in the master V6 II. Given my usage, the two issues are not dealbreakers as the "effects" flash usually isn't shot in situations where I'm using HSS. I'll have to see how the flash works in the field though. I'll probably post on Cactus' page to see if they have any inputs on resolving the issues.