Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2019, 10:42 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Godox buying advice

After selling off my Cactus gear, I've gone ahead and purchased a few items. I've got a TT350-P already and coming soon in the mail will be a XPro-P controller and a TT600 flash. My goal now is to have something reliable for portraits etc. I'm setting up a rough studio in my garage and will be exploring and experimenting with multi light set ups. So far, I've dabbled in two light setups with off camera flash units. Man did I burn through some batteries. I've now got eneloops so that should help but, having an AC powered unit would be even better I think. What I envision is a studio strobe for use inside with the TT600 and TT350 available for any fill flash/hair lights etc work that may be needed. I'll also have the two flashes for use outdoors and the TT350 works great on camera with P-TTL.

The question is, what do I purchase? You all have been great spending my money for me in the past so, looking for input again. I've got $170 left over from the sale of the Cactus gear. While I'd love an AD200, that'll have to be something I pick up down the road. I'm looking at the SK300II, SK400II, DS400II and the GS300II or GS400II. There are a lot of pros and cons to all of these as I've come to find out. The SK and DP series have a minimum power setting of 1/16. I have no idea if that is acceptable or not as I've never used these things before. I know I've had to dial the power way down on my flash in the past however. I'm usually quite careful with my gear but accidents do happen and I do have a five year old. Build quality and ruggedness are a concern but, not enough to make me spend exorbitantly more on a strobe.

I'd love to have a little bit left over for some accessories. I already have two stands, two umbrellas and a softbox. I'd love to get another softbox and a snoot but, if I need to spend a little more on the strobe now, I can always get that stuff later. I would like to make sure whatever I get has works with the bowens mount but, it seems like they all share that mounting system so it may not be a worry.

I'm certainly open to any other options. I do try to spend once so if any of these are things I will eventually have to replace, I'd rather know now and not have to spend twice. I'm also curious about the AD200 and it's rechargeable battery. I'd like AC power but is the battery on this expensive item something that is the best of both worlds? If I need to wait and pick up an AD200 down the line, that may be ok. If that's overkill for me I get that as well. That being said, if one of these strobes is useful and will remain so in the future, I'd gladly pick them up.

As always, thanks in advance for any help.

02-16-2019, 12:52 PM   #2
Veteran Member

My advice is go for a AD200 or a AD600BM... they cost more, but are powerfull and can be taken to location if needed... those SK300/400 are good, but you need a 110v conection
02-16-2019, 01:46 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Navmaxlp Quote
After selling off my Cactus gear, I've gone ahead and purchased a few items. I've got a TT350-P already and coming soon in the mail will be a XPro-P controller and a TT600 flash. My goal now is to have something reliable for portraits etc. I'm setting up a rough studio in my garage and will be exploring and experimenting with multi light set ups. So far, I've dabbled in two light setups with off camera flash units. Man did I burn through some batteries. I've now got eneloops so that should help but, having an AC powered unit would be even better I think. What I envision is a studio strobe for use inside with the TT600 and TT350 available for any fill flash/hair lights etc work that may be needed. I'll also have the two flashes for use outdoors and the TT350 works great on camera with P-TTL.

The question is, what do I purchase? You all have been great spending my money for me in the past so, looking for input again. I've got $170 left over from the sale of the Cactus gear. While I'd love an AD200, that'll have to be something I pick up down the road. I'm looking at the SK300II, SK400II, DS400II and the GS300II or GS400II. There are a lot of pros and cons to all of these as I've come to find out. The SK and DP series have a minimum power setting of 1/16. I have no idea if that is acceptable or not as I've never used these things before. I know I've had to dial the power way down on my flash in the past however. I'm usually quite careful with my gear but accidents do happen and I do have a five year old. Build quality and ruggedness are a concern but, not enough to make me spend exorbitantly more on a strobe.

I'd love to have a little bit left over for some accessories. I already have two stands, two umbrellas and a softbox. I'd love to get another softbox and a snoot but, if I need to spend a little more on the strobe now, I can always get that stuff later. I would like to make sure whatever I get has works with the bowens mount but, it seems like they all share that mounting system so it may not be a worry.

I'm certainly open to any other options. I do try to spend once so if any of these are things I will eventually have to replace, I'd rather know now and not have to spend twice. I'm also curious about the AD200 and it's rechargeable battery. I'd like AC power but is the battery on this expensive item something that is the best of both worlds? If I need to wait and pick up an AD200 down the line, that may be ok. If that's overkill for me I get that as well. That being said, if one of these strobes is useful and will remain so in the future, I'd gladly pick them up.

As always, thanks in advance for any help.
My only comment most people recommend buying the the Flashpoint versions of Godox from Adorama because they offer warranty and technical support.
02-16-2019, 02:31 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a Godox AD600BM. I have used it with my XPro-P trigger, and it is an excellent light. I know you have stated that you only have a certain amount to spend in your budget, but I would also recommend the AD600BM. Though I do not have the AD200, that might be a nice alternative also, depending on the amount of light you may need. Supposedly the AD200 does have a substantial light output, though not as much as the AD600BM, and does come with a rechargeable battery. Otherwise, I would recommend a flash like the Yongnuo YN585EX, but it seems like you are looking for something that comes with its own battery pack and will function with the XPro-P trigger you have.

Good luck with your decision.

02-16-2019, 03:39 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I appreciate the input. While the AD600 would be awesome, that's just not in the cards. I'm a hobbyist and make absolutely no money from photography. I also have a young child so the majority of my money goes there. That being said, after reading reviews, I think the AD200 might be the way to go. I was really looking at the AC powered devices but, it seems the battery is able to hold up for a good long time and the flexibility it offers is amazing. I'm also excited the TT600 can utilize the battery pack for extended use. I think I'll be in a good spot with the TT600, TT350-P and an AD200. Plus, with the AC powered studio strobes so affordable, I can pick one up later much easier. Still open to suggestion if there are other options however.
02-16-2019, 04:25 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I have two AD200's and one AD400 Pro. Awesome trio.
02-17-2019, 08:48 AM   #7
Pentaxian

According to the description listed for the AD200, which is "The flash runs on a removal rechargeable lithium battery that will give you up to 500 full power flashes and thousands of lower power flashes.", that may be what you may want. That quote was taken from the B and H listing for the AD200 (shortcut to item below).

Godox AD200 TTL Pocket Flash Kit AD200 KIT B&H Photo Video
02-17-2019, 12:05 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yep, pretty much made the decision to hold out for a bit and go with the AD200. Thanks all for the advice. It was clearly unanimous. I'll be looking to adorama for the Falshpoint version in order to get their legendary support. I should eventually be all set with the AD200 for Key light both in the "studio" as well as out and about, the TT600 for a two light setup and to operat as a key light until I am able to purchase the AD200 and a TT350-P for both on camera P-TTL/HSS use and as a hair light/background light in the studio. It'll be nice to have the option to expand as well moving forward. I'm very excited about the possibilities. Thanks again for the help!

02-17-2019, 05:21 PM   #9

How is the AD200 with soft box's are they the same size as most speed lights? Do you use the standard speed light to Bowens attachment?
Thanks
Photobill
02-18-2019, 05:11 AM   #10

Hello,

You have the S-type adapter for Bowens devices. Just put your AD200 on the S-type adapter, connect to your Bowens type softbox and you are done. Depending on the softbox (square, round) you can use the bulb, fresnel head, etc.
With my 110cm Octabox I use the bulb and I like to put the AD-S6 reflector with the bulb. The AD-M reflector is similar.

About the battery, I have used in sessions of about 500 pops without issue. Sometimes I still see full charge status when I return home.

Regards.
02-18-2019, 04:17 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Photobill Quote
How is the AD200 with soft box's are they the same size as most speed lights? Do you use the standard speed light to Bowens attachment?
Thanks
Photobill
In case you do not have one yet. The type bracket you would use is like the product listed by the shortcut below. It is also a Godox product.

Godox S-Type Speedlite Bracket for Bowens S B&H Photo Video
02-18-2019, 05:45 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
In case you do not have one yet. The type bracket you would use is like the product listed by the shortcut below. It is also a Godox product.

Godox S-Type Speedlite Bracket for Bowens S B&H Photo Video
From the reviews I've seen, the AD200 is a tight fit in the S mount but it does fit and works well. I use the S mount for flashes and love it. My only complaint is that the knob to loosen the tilt function of the mount always gets blocked by my soft box. I have to remove the soft box, adjust the tilt and replace the softbox. I'm thinking of sawing a portion off. There is a similar product but is a "grip" S mount. Same price and uses a different knob. I'll be getting one of those shortly.
02-19-2019, 08:22 AM - 1 Like   #13

From the reviews I've seen, the AD200 is a tight fit in the S mount but it does fit and works well. I use the S mount for flashes and love it. My only complaint is that the knob to loosen the tilt function of the mount always gets blocked by my soft box. I have to remove the soft box, adjust the tilt and replace the softbox. I'm thinking of sawing a portion off. There is a similar product but is a "grip" S mount. Same price and uses a different knob. I'll be getting one of those shortly.
You could replace the Kipp Lever with a wing nut from the hardware store. Simply remove it and take the bolt to the hardware store and get the appropriate sized wing nut. Use a washer under the wing nut. Getting the smallish wing nut tight enough may give you a different issue, however.
02-19-2019, 10:10 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by West Penn Quote
You could replace the Kipp Lever with a wing nut from the hardware store. Simply remove it and take the bolt to the hardware store and get the appropriate sized wing nut. Use a washer under the wing nut. Getting the smallish wing nut tight enough may give you a different issue, however.
See now, this is just good advice. Thanks very much!
02-22-2019, 10:10 AM   #15
Pentaxian

From the reviews I've seen, the AD200 is a tight fit in the S mount but it does fit and works well.
Recent copies of the S-mount work well with the AD200.

Earlier copies have some surplus rubber at the top clamp which one can manually remove (partially) to create a much more comfortable fit for the AD200.