Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
02-18-2019, 05:23 AM   #1
Pentaxian

K-70, Cactus and Metz flash combinations for real estate photography

Before buying new equipment, I need some advice please.

I’m not new to photography but I am relatively to digital (but I have caught up quickly). However, I am new to flash triggering solutions and the number of combinations out there. I’ve done my homework and a lot of reading and comparing. So before I go out and finally purchase items, I would much appreciate the opinion of one of you experts.

My scenario: I have a Pentax K-70 and a Metz 44 AF-2 flash and wish to shoot real estate photography. I wish to buy a second flash unit and have trigger operation of both, either with one on-camera, or both off-camera. I was thinking of buying another Metz, the 52 AF-1, together with the Cactus V6 II to control them, but I would also need 2 RX units – one for each flash. However, upon further investigation I now see that the Cactus RF-60X would be a better bet (over the 52 AF-1) as it has a built-in receiver (as well as a transmitter).

So, am I right in thinking the following are correct?

A) If I buy the RX-60X, I can use it as a transmitter (on-camera) in conjunction with the Metz 44 AF-2 (off-camera), but I would need to buy a Cactus V6 II in order to control and receive the signal. I understand that that the Metz 44 AF-2 can be configured to work with the Cactus V6 II using a Pentax profile or something.

B) If I want to use both flashes off-camera (the Metz 44 AF-2 and the Cactus RX-60X), I would need two V6 II units, one on-camera (to control both flashes), and the other off-camera in conjunction with the Metz 44 AF-2, as the RX-60X will act automatically as an RX receiver from the on-camera V6 II. Is there an alternative, cheaper option for this second RX for the Metz 44 AF-2?

C) And finally, are any or all of theabove combinations compatible for HSS to work with the K-70?

Given my intended use, I would appreciate knowing if the above is basically correct, and/or, are there any other trigger solutions/combinations from other manufacturers such as Godox, or similar?

Thanking you very much in advance.

Regards,Robert.

02-18-2019, 05:39 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

One quick point, HSS would only be available when using a V6II as transmitter, not the RF60x. With the RF60x as radio transmitter you would have remote power and zoom control, only up to max sync speed.
02-18-2019, 05:47 AM - 1 Like   #3

B) If I want to use both flashes off-camera (the Metz 44 AF-2 and the Cactus RX-60X), I would need two V6 II units, one on-camera (to control both flashes), and the other off-camera in conjunction with the Metz 44 AF-2, as the RX-60X will act automatically as an RX receiver from the on-camera V6 II.This is what I use on a K1 / 645z or a K5ii, not sure if there's a cheaper alternative, I do know it works and in my view good value
02-18-2019, 06:06 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by chrism888 Quote
B) If I want to use both flashes off-camera (the Metz 44 AF-2 and the Cactus RX-60X), I would need two V6 II units, one on-camera (to control both flashes), and the other off-camera in conjunction with the Metz 44 AF-2, as the RX-60X will act automatically as an RX receiver from the on-camera V6 II.This is what I use on a K1 / 645z or a K5ii, not sure if there's a cheaper alternative, I do know it works and in my view good value
A v6ii transmitter on camera could control a Metz 44 on another v6ii and the rf60x at the same time.

02-18-2019, 06:22 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
One quick point, HSS would only be available when using a V6II as transmitter, not the RF60x. With the RF60x as radio transmitter you would have remote power and zoom control, only up to max sync speed.
Thanks for that! HSS is not a great concern at the moment but it may be in the future, so buying this capability now covers me when I want to use it. I already have your PDF guides and they have been very useful indeed.

---------- Post added 02-18-19 at 06:25 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
A v6ii transmitter on camera could control a Metz 44 on another v6ii and the rf60x at the same time.
Great! Thanks. That's my "B" scenario sorted!

---------- Post added 02-18-19 at 06:31 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by chrism888 Quote
That's good to know. It tells me that after days and weeks of studying all the options that I've chosen a reasonable working solution for the equipment I already have, and that which I believe to be viable.
02-18-2019, 09:36 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I'm now confused!

Having read the comments from you all, I downloaded the user manual for the Cactus RF60X in advance of purchasing it. Page 50 talks about Working with Cactus Triggers. It states that the RF60X in slave mode can be triggered by V6 II, amongst others. OK. But then it says in Master mode it will command V6 ONLY. Furthermore on page 52, there is a table which states that the RF60X is NOT supported as a Master in conjunction with the V6 II. So if I'm understanding all of this, I can't use the RX60X mounted on the camera as a Master to command the Metz 44 AF-2 off-camera on the V6 II. Correct? I need either just one V6, or buy two V6 II's, mount the RX60X on top of one - and then mount on the camera, and the other one together with the Metz 44 AF-2 which will then receive its signal from camera mounted V6 II.

Have I got this right? Sorry if it's taking time for the penny to drop, but I have never used off-camera flash before except with a cable, so it's all new to me.

Many thanks.
02-18-2019, 10:00 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

You may well be right, although firmwares have changed over time, and extra compatibilities are created between devices that didn't originally exist . I hope our Cactus expert ClassA can add to this also.

Do you specifically want an on camera flash? Is that why you want to use the RF60x as a "Radio Master"? I feel that the solution with V6II as transmitter, and two Radio Slave flashes is a good one, so for me the RF60x is best utilized off camera.

I do have 2 RF60xs, a V6II and V6, so I could test it for you, hopefully tomorrow. I would use the RF60x on camera as master and try the V6II as a receiver with my Pentax flash ..... I'm using version 3 of the XTTL firmware. It's easy to lose track of what compatabilities are created between the devices with the various firmware options.....

Last edited by mcgregni; 02-18-2019 at 10:05 AM.
02-18-2019, 10:23 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
You may well be right, although firmwares have changed over time, and extra compatibilities are created between devices that didn't originally exist . I hope our Cactus expert ClassA can add to this also.

Do you specifically want an on camera flash? Is that why you want to use the RF60x as a "Radio Master"? I feel that the solution with V6II as transmitter, and two Radio Slave flashes is a good one, so for me the RF60x is best utilized off camera.

I do have 2 RF60xs, a V6II and V6, so I could test it for you, hopefully tomorrow. I would use the RF60x on camera as master and try the V6II as a receiver with my Pentax flash ..... I'm using version 3 of the XTTL firmware. It's easy to lose track of what compatabilities are created between the devices with the various firmware options.....
Thanks once again for such a rapid response! I suppose what I'm looking for is maximum versatility between the 2 flash units, whether one is used on-camera or not. Given that (I believe) the RX60X is a more powerful unit then the Metz 44 AF-2, I had wanted to use this as the main flash, using the Metz for, shall we say, dark corners, en-suite bathrooms and the like. I should point out that I don't use just flash but HDR as well, masking parts of the flash shot(s) with the finalised HDR image, as and when required. And of course there will be times when I use both flashes off-camera, in which case your comment is spot on.

But to finally wrap up the discussion, am I right in saying that the RX60X mounted on the V6 II, in turn mounted on the camera will work in pass-through P-TTL mode, and WILL still trigger the Metz mounted on a V6 II?

Thanks again, Robert.

---------- Post added 02-18-19 at 11:11 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by RobSpain Quote
Thanks once again for such a rapid response! I suppose what I'm looking for is maximum versatility between the 2 flash units, whether one is used on-camera or not. Given that (I believe) the RX60X is a more powerful unit then the Metz 44 AF-2, I had wanted to use this as the main flash, using the Metz for, shall we say, dark corners, en-suite bathrooms and the like. I should point out that I don't use just flash but HDR as well, masking parts of the flash shot(s) with the finalised HDR image, as and when required. And of course there will be times when I use both flashes off-camera, in which case your comment is spot on.

But to finally wrap up the discussion, am I right in saying that the RX60X mounted on the V6 II, in turn mounted on the camera will work in pass-through P-TTL mode, and WILL still trigger the Metz mounted on a V6 II?

Thanks again, Robert.
Well just to add even more confusion, I've also just downloaded the user manual for the V6 II, and it states on page 81 that you may assign the RF60 series as Master on the camera's hot shoe and let it trigger and command (other RF series) and AND V6 II RX units. This means I could use the Metz flash mounted on a V6 II in conjunction with the camera-mounted RX60X as a Master (albeit HSS won't be supported). So please excuse all of my questions when the Cactus user manuals contradict one another!!

Does anyone have clarity on this?

Thanks once again, Robert.

---------- Post added 02-18-19 at 11:13 AM ----------

That would be fantastic! Very much appreciated, indeed.
02-18-2019, 11:38 AM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have rf60 and v6 triggers but not the rf60x version nor v6ii triggers. Otherwise I would volunteer also.
02-18-2019, 11:43 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I have rf60 and v6 triggers but not the rf60x version nor v6ii triggers. Otherwise I would volunteer also.
Very nice of you to say so. Thanks anyway.
02-18-2019, 12:08 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I should be able to test the capability of the RF60x as on camera transmitter to a V6II receiver tomorrow. The V6II and V6 were made compatible with each other by firmware update, so it seems possible that the RF60x (Tx) and V6II (Rx) combo could have been also. .....
Although we know that HSS could not be supported by that configuration, remote power and zoom control potentially could (he says desperately hoping his first post proves to be correct!!).

Oh, and BTW .... Do we know for sure whether the "Master Mode" on the RF60x also allows light' output from the flash at the same time as controlling the slave flashes? ....(It may be Master mode Jim, but not Master mode as we know it....)

...OK update, yes it is "as we know it", I checked the manual and the flash indeed does output light and has power and zoom control independent of the Slave Groups. However, I do feel that working this way will prove to be fiddly in practice, not the least because on camera manual flash is fiddly, unless you are working in quite static scenarios and not changing the flash to subject distances much. I do feel that the control interface and usability for managing multiple off camera flashes is much better with the V6II.

Last edited by mcgregni; 02-18-2019 at 12:28 PM.
02-18-2019, 12:24 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
That's great, Nigel. I look forward to final clarification before I decide what and how many to buy.
02-18-2019, 02:02 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I should be able to test the capability of the RF60x as on camera transmitter to a V6II receiver tomorrow. The V6II and V6 were made compatible with each other by firmware update, so it seems possible that the RF60x (Tx) and V6II (Rx) combo could have been also. .....
Although we know that HSS could not be supported by that configuration, remote power and zoom control potentially could (he says desperately hoping his first post proves to be correct!!).

Oh, and BTW .... Do we know for sure whether the "Master Mode" on the RF60x also allows light' output from the flash at the same time as controlling the slave flashes? ....(It may be Master mode Jim, but not Master mode as we know it....)

...OK update, yes it is "as we know it", I checked the manual and the flash indeed does output light and has power and zoom control independent of the Slave Groups. However, I do feel that working this way will prove to be fiddly in practice, not the least because on camera manual flash is fiddly, unless you are working in quite static scenarios and not changing the flash to subject distances much. I do feel that the control interface and usability for managing multiple off camera flashes is much better with the V6II.
I have to agree. Between my posts and your replies today and upon further reading in the forum, I found similar comments about the manual flash set-up in this scenario. I think it's going to be the RX60X and two V6 II's. And who knows, with Cactus continually updating firmware, other options may appear in the future.

I'd like to thank you for all your help and assistance. I see you posting all over the forum, it must take a lot of your time. I just want you to know how much it's appreciated!
02-18-2019, 05:36 PM - 1 Like   #14

One more possibility that may not have come to your notice.

Get two Godox TT600 single-pin manual speedlights (US$65 apiece) and a Godox XPro-P transmitter ($70).

You'll have two off-camera speedlights with built-in radio triggers, with remote M power level control and HSS capability. You won't have to remember to bring along receiver units for the flash feet, and setup will be a little simpler/faster/more robust. Like the RF60X, however, they are single-pin speedlights that will not do TTL/HSS if used directly on the camera hotshoe.

But more importantly, vs. the Cactus system, you will have access to larger TTL/HSS capable strobes in the Godox system. Cactus at this time only makes speedlights. And the only one to integrate a larger studio strobe is to cable a receiver to it, which means no remote power control, TTL, or HSS. All features you can get with larger lights as well as speedlights together in the Godox system.
02-19-2019, 03:21 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by inkista Quote
One more possibility that may not have come to your notice.

Get two Godox TT600 single-pin manual speedlights (US$65 apiece) and a Godox XPro-P transmitter ($70).

You'll have two off-camera speedlights with built-in radio triggers, with remote M power level control and HSS capability. You won't have to remember to bring along receiver units for the flash feet, and setup will be a little simpler/faster/more robust. Like the RF60X, however, they are single-pin speedlights that will not do TTL/HSS if used directly on the camera hotshoe.

But more importantly, vs. the Cactus system, you will have access to larger TTL/HSS capable strobes in the Godox system. Cactus at this time only makes speedlights. And the only one to integrate a larger studio strobe is to cable a receiver to it, which means no remote power control, TTL, or HSS. All features you can get with larger lights as well as speedlights together in the Godox system.
Thank you for that. I was looking for alternatives. I'll look into it.