Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20 Likes Search this Thread
02-23-2019, 07:46 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Show us your 'flashed' photos without the 'flash' look

I had a discussion with a few photographers during a recent performance event about using hot-shoe flash on the camera, some suggested they don't like to have the 'flash' look on the photos and hence try to avoid using flash even if it means settling with high ISO and increased noise. As my interest is mainly in 'events' photography so it is important for me to use flash whenever I feel it is necessary (in complex lighting situations especially indoors). Here are the examples of what I mean (notice the front LED on the 360FZG II)... I know some of you folks here are really good on flash photography, so I like to get your thoughts and comments; and how would you do it differently.

In the example above you can see me using the on-board flash, this one below is subtle and hardly noticeable. But I want the look of photo as much as I see it (to retain the natural colour of the subjects/objects).

02-23-2019, 08:04 PM - 3 Likes   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Generated by http://tools.sportscard.trade
02-23-2019, 11:49 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
I had a discussion with a few photographers during a recent performance event about using hot-shoe flash on the camera, some suggested they don't like to have the 'flash' look on the photos and hence try to avoid using flash even if it means settling with high ISO and increased noise. As my interest is mainly in 'events' photography so it is important for me to use flash whenever I feel it is necessary (in complex lighting situations especially indoors). Here are the examples of what I mean (notice the front LED on the 360FZG II)... I know some of you folks here are really good on flash photography, so I like to get your thoughts and comments; and how would you do it differently.

In the example above you can see me using the on-board flash, this one below is subtle and hardly noticeable. But I want the look of photo as much as I see it (to retain the natural colour of the subjects/objects).
I'm not sure what you are looking for here. What is the "flash" look? It looks like you want photos that are mostly ambient with some bounced fill flash. Is that it?
02-24-2019, 10:14 AM - 4 Likes   #4
Veteran Member

Here's one candid I use when asked for a "flash without the flash look". Also balanced with the ambien light outside of the bay window. In fact, it was taken while practicing balancing ambient light form a window with flash... The flash was bounced above my right shoulder, as we can see by the reflection in the eyes.

02-24-2019, 10:39 AM - 2 Likes   #5

I’m trying to practice with flash... recently I was shooting for a sculptor catalogue and he was working on a new piece but the light was poor (sunset in forest)...

02-24-2019, 11:14 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
I'm not sure what you are looking for here. What is the "flash" look? It looks like you want photos that are mostly ambient with some bounced fill flash. Is that it?
Couple of things that comes to mind re 'flash' look are: flash shadows and 'deer in the dark' scene. I also think that balance of ambient with flash light mix and avoiding flash shadows are the keys.

---------- Post added 02-24-2019 at 01:21 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by elioloba Quote
I’m trying to practice with flash... recently I was shooting for a sculptor catalogue and he was working on a new piece but the light was poor (sunset in forest)...
In your situation, I would lower my angle of shot with the sculptor body against the empty space (sky) backdrop and adjust the angle of the flash so it does not create the shadow on the logs; also drag the shutter a little or raise the ISO a little, and perhaps reduce the flash power a little as well.

---------- Post added 02-24-2019 at 01:24 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by CarlJF Quote
Here's one candid I use when asked for a "flash without the flash look". Also balanced with the ambien light outside of the bay window. In fact, it was taken while practicing balancing ambient light form a window with flash... The flash was bounced above my right shoulder, as we can see by the reflection in the eyes.

I like that shot. I would have done the same. Does your flash have the front LED? IMHO, if you do that will also help.

---------- Post added 02-24-2019 at 01:27 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
UncleVanya, I think you know the trick already; always try to look for the backdrop without giving away the shadow.

Last edited by aleonx3; 02-24-2019 at 11:25 AM.
02-24-2019, 11:59 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Gels help so that it balances with ambient.
Strobist is a rich place of knowledge. Like this piece.
Strobist: Lighting 101: Balancing Flash and Ambient, Pt 1

02-24-2019, 04:22 PM - 2 Likes   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think the key is to avoid direct, un-diffused flash. Bounced diffused flash will produce less shadows and more even lighting. Using off camera multiple flash units will improve things further although this might not be practical in your circumstances

02-24-2019, 05:25 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
I think the key is to avoid direct, un-diffused flash. Bounced diffused flash will produce less shadows and more even lighting. Using off camera multiple flash units will improve things further although this might not be practical in your circumstances
My trick was -2 stops used the onboard flash without diffusion. But the shots are different. As said earlier avoiding harsh shadows is key. Filling in using broad surfaces (large light diffusers and bounce, using multiple flashes or sources of light, etc.
02-24-2019, 05:36 PM - 5 Likes   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Obviously, aesthetics enter into it.

You always use good light or make it, so the point of a flash is that you get true colour instead of the blue haze that can happen from being in the shade, to increase contrast or to reduce it by making the shadows only one or two stops difference from the highlights instead of three or four. I think flash is more valuable in daytime than at night, and even a humble popup can provide fill.

As always, dial up or down the Flash Exposure Compensation, like seasoning vegetables - adjust for taste!

03-05-2019, 02:42 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have quite a few balanced flash photos (I was a resident nightclub photog for a few years). Anyway, here's one of my dogs and a couple of portraits.

Last edited by Kobie; 03-05-2019 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Figured out another way to add photos