Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-02-2019, 08:38 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Flash sync cord for Pentax Autorobo flash?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I just got an Autorobo unit in great condition and working, with the vinyl case. According to the manual that I found online, the unit originally had an accessory sync cord that you could use for camera models without a hot shoe. I'd like to get this cord, so I can use the unit on my Spotmatic. Does anyone have a cord, or at least can post a picture of what it looks like? I imagine one end is a standard male PC plug, but the other end probably has two posts, one post being a round pin and the other a flat prong, judging by the two holes in the shoe of the flash. I've never seen a cord like that, and can't find any online. Thanks!

05-02-2019, 10:11 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Here is a pic of the flash with my K1000, and a close up of where I believe the sync cord would plug in.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
05-03-2019, 09:32 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have the Autorobo flash and sync cable you need.

One end (camera) has the regular x-sync plug and the other end (flash) has a two prong connection. One prong is round and the other is flat and angled. Not sure what the flash end is called?

Phil.
Attached Images

Last edited by gofour3; 05-03-2019 at 09:45 AM. Reason: Deleted line.
05-03-2019, 03:08 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
I have the Autorobo flash and sync cable you need.

One end (camera) has the regular x-sync plug and the other end (flash) has a two prong connection. One prong is round and the other is flat and angled. Not sure what the flash end is called?

Phil.
That's great. Are you interested in selling it? Or if not, could you post close up pictures and maybe make some measurements of the proprietary plug end? Perhaps I can manufacture an adapter for myself if I can't find one. Thanks!

05-03-2019, 08:30 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by OldChE Quote
That's great. Are you interested in selling it? Or if not, could you post close up pictures and maybe make some measurements of the proprietary plug end? Perhaps I can manufacture an adapter for myself if I can't find one. Thanks!
Here we go, the pins are 1/2 inch long.

Phil.
Attached Images

05-03-2019, 09:36 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Here we go, the pins are 1/2 inch long.

Phil.
Great! That will probably do, I can measure how far apart the holes are for the separation between the pins. If you could measure the thickness of the pins that would be good as well, otherwise I'll just assume they are a wee bit smaller than the holes in the case. Thanks very much. If I can find pins that will fit the holes, I can try soldering them to the wires stripped off from an inexpensive PC cord, and maybe 3D print a plug head to mount the pins. Unless I can find somebody that has a cord for sale. Unfortunately, I've looked at other "proprietary" sync cable designs out there, and haven't found any others that resemble this one used by Asahi.

Thanks again.
05-03-2019, 10:10 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great! That will probably do, I can measure how far apart the holes are for the separation between the pins. If you could measure the thickness of the pins that would be good as well, otherwise I'll just assume they are a wee bit smaller than the holes in the case. Thanks very much. If I can find pins that will fit the holes, I can try soldering them to the wires stripped off from an inexpensive PC cord, and maybe 3D print a plug head to mount the pins. Unless I can find somebody that has a cord for sale. Unfortunately, I've looked at other "proprietary" sync cable designs out there, and haven't found any others that resemble this one used by Asahi.

Thanks again.
The flat pin is 4mm wide and the round one is about 2mm.

Phil.

---------- Post added 03-05-19 at 22:21 ----------

Found one on eBay:

PC Male to Special Connector 11-3/4" Black Flash Sync Cord Cable | eBay

Phil.

05-05-2019, 05:30 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
The flat pin is 4mm wide and the round one is about 2mm.

Phil.

---------- Post added 03-05-19 at 22:21 ----------

Found one on eBay:

PC Male to Special Connector 11-3/4" Black Flash Sync Cord Cable | eBay

Phil.
Phil - Great! I ordered the one you found on Ebay, it looks identical to yours. Thanks so much! I looked yesterday through what seemed like hundreds of sync cords on ebay and didn't see this one. The vendor actually had two of them.
05-05-2019, 07:36 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Phil - Great! I ordered the one you found on Ebay, it looks identical to yours. Thanks so much! I looked yesterday through what seemed like hundreds of sync cords on ebay and didn't see this one. The vendor actually had two of them.
Good news, hope it works out!

Phil.