Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-07-2008, 05:02 AM   #1

Please help- Sigma versus Pentax flashes

My husband is starting to get into photography more and more and is hoping to get an external flash for his camera. Neither of us know much about this, so when I do most of the research I get lost in the TTL, ISO, manual talk! I was reading through many of the threads and I just keep going around in circles... Please help

He has a Pentax *ist DL that is about two years old. The flashes I am looking at currently are the:
Sigma 500 DG Super
Sigma 530 DG Super
Pentax 540 FGZ

He is not a professional photographer and will really only be using this casually- as in family dinners, sporting events, etc. Do you have any pros or cons that would actually impact the decision?

And I am sure this topic has been covered a million times, but I would really love for it to be dumbed down for me... TIA

Last edited by kdkai; 10-07-2008 at 05:11 AM.
10-07-2008, 05:43 AM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
OK, To keep the price down and get a good all round flas that also has potential for the newer cameras should he ever upgrade. Get the Sigma 530.

If he wants more power, more robust build, then get the Pentax 540.

Both are good flash units and you can't go wrong with them.
10-07-2008, 08:24 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thank you for the idiot-proof answer
10-07-2008, 09:40 AM   #4
Veteran Member

You can also consider Metz flashes. They are pretty good and cheaper than Pentax equivalents. With istDL you need P-TTL compatible flash. Plain old TTL will not work (unless in manual mode).

10-07-2008, 10:24 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kdkai Quote
And I am sure this topic has been covered a million times, but I would really love for it to be dumbed down for me... TIA
there was a good thread

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-photography-knowledge-base/23109-c...h-options.html
10-07-2008, 12:21 PM   #6

Original Poster
I'll add Metz to the mix then. And thanks for that link- that's fantastic!
10-07-2008, 01:42 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Stay away from Sigma. This is from personal experience.

Several problems with my 500DG Super, or whatever it's called (I don't use it often enough to memorise the name.)

One: the mount is as stable as a US credit market. I am constantly loosing connections with the flash.

Two: It is best if you fire off the flash one every fifteen minutes. Any more, and you risk overheating the flash assembly inside the flash head. This cause it to expand. And then push itself off the zoom rails. And the jam your flash. And cause a horrible grinding noise. And give you a little message on the screen that says "Er". And, if it's severe enough, you will be stuck in that mode forever, and not be able to turn it off. And be forced to take out the batteries to reset it. Which won't actually reset it, nine times out of ten. You might have some luck unscrewing it off your camera, holding it with the flash head down, and flicking it.

Three: You won't be able to decipher the manual. The NSA probably couldn't decipher it.

Four: Doesn't so much talk to your camera as drop subtle hints at it.

Five: The battery hatch lid will eventually pop off.

Six: Number Two in this list is gonna happen again. If it hasn't happened in the last three minutes of use, then it's about due.

On the upside, the LCD backlight is a pleasant shade of turquoise, which would be this flash's main selling point. When the flash works, it does actually emit a short burst of very intense light when you hit your shutter release, which would probably please Doc Edgerton. However, as mentioned, getting to such a point is about as easy as walking through Iran holding an American flag made from bacon.

10-07-2008, 03:35 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
If he wants more power, more robust build, then get the Pentax 540.
I know I am not helping, but the 540FGZ is far from robust. The plastic mechanism of the shoe locking pin is prone to break, the tiny plastic clips that hold the battery door are prone to break (applies to 360FGZ too), the zoom head is prone to failure, the P-TTL flash is prone to severe underexposure. I honestly don't know which is a good flash for the Pentax system at the moment, maybe the Metz 58 AF-1 but I have no personal experience. At least with the Metz, if the P-TTL failed to turn up good exposures, their time proven A flash will work reliably, unlike the 540FGZ which keeps reset itself back to TTL/P-TTL (what I call really stupid design). Sorry I know I am not helping.