Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-28-2019, 05:11 PM   #1

Need help with HSS on my Godox V860ii & X1 T2.4G

don't understand why HSS isn't working when I have my X1 T2.4G mounted on my A6300. It fires fine when I have the V860ii mounted on the camera, but I don't want to take portraits like that. I need my HSS set with M off camera, so I can use my softbox. The only mode that seems to fire for M is slave mode, but I can't enable HSS on slave mode. Can someone here please help me with this because the instructions don't mention this. I noticed that M mode with HSS that the red flash points aren't blinking off camera. However, in slave mode it blinks as normal. Also, should I set Expo.comp.set to ambient & flash or ambient only?

05-28-2019, 05:34 PM - 2 Likes   #2

Deep breath.

First off, if you're using the Godox X1 triggers, there is no Pentax version of these, so you can't get TTL/HSS using them. The trick of sandwiching a TTL/HSS trigger between a manual Godox transmitter and the camera to get HSS with an AD360 or AD360II only works if the trigger you sandwich can communicate HSS in the camera system (e.g., Cactus V6 for Pentax, Yongnuo YN-622C for Canon, etc). The Godox X1T also doesn't have a full passthrough TTL-hotshoe on top, which is what's required for this to work. The hotshoe on top of an X1T is rumored to actually be a slave in Group A.

The only TTL/HSS transmitter you can put on a Pentax camera hotshoe to get TTL/HSS with a V860II is the Xpro-P. There's also an upcoming X2T-P, but it hasn't been released yet. If you want TTL/HSS full communication, whatever goes on the hotshoe of the camera (speedlight or transmitter) has to be a "-P" for Pentax flavor, so that the pins on the feet match the hotshoe contacts, and they're both using the same signalling protocol.

Secondly, the V860II does not yet come in a Pentax -P version. Whichever version you have came out before Godox introduced the XPro-P, so to get it to be able to switch to P-TTL, you have to upgrade its firmware so that it does. The following V860II "flavors" require the following firmware versions (or later). You can see what's currently loaded on your V860II by holding down the Zm/C.Fn button to enter the custom function menu.
  • V860II-C(anon) : v1.7
  • V860II-N(ikon) : v1.8
  • V860II-S(ony) : v1.7
  • V860II-O(lympus/Panasonic) : v1.4
  • V860II-F(uji) : v1.2
To upgrade the firmware, you need the files on the Godox downloads page for your flash, the G1 firmware updater app (also on the downloads page), a Windows box, and a micro USB cable that transfers data (not just charges).

Once you have the correct firmware and transmitter, then all you need to do is put the V860II into radio slave mode by pressing the sync mode button (it's on the right and labelled with a horizontal lightning bolt icon) until the backlight is orange, (green = master/on-camera; orange = slave), and there's an antenna/radio icon (the -C/-N/-S flavors also do smart optical maser/slave, and there's a lightning bolt icon for these master/slave modes).

Set the transmitter and flash to the same channel and ID C.Fn setting.

Assign a group to the flash.

Adjust the group on the transmitter. With an XPro-P to put the remote flash in HSS, press the SYNC button until you see an H icon with an arrow. (Repeated presses of the SYNC button cycles between 2nd curtain and HSS and nothing).
05-28-2019, 05:49 PM   #3

Original Poster
I appreciate you taking the time to guide me, but I'm not attaching this to one of my Pentax cameras. I'm using one designed for Sony. For my Sony A6300. I already have my firmware updated on the flash and the trigger. I'm also not interested in using TTL mode. I would like to use manual with HSS.
05-28-2019, 06:04 PM - 1 Like   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by Prince Harbinger Quote
I appreciate you taking the time to guide me, but I'm not attaching this to one of my Pentax cameras. I'm using one designed for Sony. For my Sony A6300.
Ah, yes, so you said. Missed that. Sorry.

QuoteQuote:
I already have my firmware updated on the flash and the trigger. I'm also not interested in using TTL mode. I would like to use manual with HSS.
Yeah, the X1T doesn't have an explicit HSS setting on it like the XPro does. You have to set it via the camera menus, iirc. Typically whatever setting is on the transmitter will override any setting set on the flash unit itself.

With Sony, I think you also have to put the flash into "Fill" mode, and you should probably make sure the camera is out of any silent/electronic shutter modes, including Electronic first-curtain.

05-28-2019, 07:16 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by inkista Quote
Ah, yes, so you said. Missed that. Sorry.

Yeah, the X1T doesn't have an explicit HSS setting on it like the XPro does. You have to set it via the camera menus, iirc. Typically whatever setting is on the transmitter will override any setting set on the flash unit itself.

With Sony, I think you also have to put the flash into "Fill" mode, and you should probably make sure the camera is out of any silent/electronic shutter modes, including Electronic first-curtain.
HSS is activated on my camera. It activates at 1/200 sec. The problem that I am having is Manual mode with HSS doesn't fire the flash when I press the shutter button. I don't even see the two blinking red lights on the back of the flash. The only M mode that works for me is the slave mode M without the bolt. With slave mode M I'm not able to activate HSS on the flash. I can only do it when it is in green mode but it won't fire the flash when I press the shutter button. Do you know why this is going on? Green mode M with HSS only works when I have the flash mounted on the hotshoe of my camera. I need it to work off camera when it is set in the S-bracket of my softbox.

Last edited by Prince Harbinger; 06-02-2019 at 08:38 PM.
05-28-2019, 10:13 PM - 1 Like   #6

Do you have wireless flash on in the camera menus? That needs to be turned off (i.e., set flash mode to "Fill"). That's for the Sony "smart" optical system, not Godox's radio system. The camera needs to think that the X1T is a on-camera flash.

Don't use the lightning bolt modes: those are also for Sony's smart optical system. The flash won't listen any more to its built-in radio transceiver, and only listens to the optical sensor.

Also what happens if you a) press the flash's test button, and b) press the transmitter's test button?

Have you checked that you're not using silent/electronic shutter?

Are you using the flash right next to the transmitter (i.e., within 1 meter?)

And what are the C.Fn ID settings on the transmitter and the flash? (On the X1T-S, it's Fn-11). These settings HAVE to match or the flash won't ever trigger.

And last but not last, have you tried setting everything to a different channel, in case there's radio interference?

Last edited by inkista; 05-28-2019 at 10:30 PM.
05-29-2019, 08:30 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by inkista Quote
Do you have wireless flash on in the camera menus? That needs to be turned off (i.e., set flash mode to "Fill"). That's for the Sony "smart" optical system, not Godox's radio system. The camera needs to think that the X1T is a on-camera flash.

Don't use the lightning bolt modes: those are also for Sony's smart optical system. The flash won't listen any more to its built-in radio transceiver, and only listens to the optical sensor.

Also what happens if you a) press the flash's test button, and b) press the transmitter's test button?

Have you checked that you're not using silent/electronic shutter?

Are you using the flash right next to the transmitter (i.e., within 1 meter?)

And what are the C.Fn ID settings on the transmitter and the flash? (On the X1T-S, it's Fn-11). These settings HAVE to match or the flash won't ever trigger.

And last but not last, have you tried setting everything to a different channel, in case there's radio interference?
The flash has always been on fill. Silent shooting is always off, and I have the e-front curtain shut off. Holding CH/OK on the trigger takes me to FN 11. I set it to 01 which I'm assuming is the channel. Now on the flash M mode green doesn't have a channel. Slave mode M does but slave mode doesn't allow HSS. The flash test works when I press the button on the flash. On the trigger the test button just lights up red when pressed while in green M mode HSS. The flash goes off with the trigger when the flash is set to Slave M mode.

Last edited by Prince Harbinger; 06-02-2019 at 08:38 PM.
05-29-2019, 12:39 PM - 1 Like   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by Prince Harbinger Quote
... Holding CH/OK on the trigger takes me to FN 11. I set it to 01 which I'm assuming is the channel.
Check the wireless function for flash in your cameras menus is off, too.

And are you trying to use the lights really close to the transmitter?

Fn-11 is the ID function, not the channel. But you do have the ID C.Fn on the V860II set to 01. Channel and ID have to match on both the transmitter and receiver or the flash won't fire or accept settings changes.

Holding down the CH/OK button does not change the channel. It takes you into the custom function menus. To change the channel, it should be a "short-press" of CH, and then fiddling with the wheel and you should remain in the main screen and see the channel number change.

And on the X1T, custom functions are not as nice as using the X2T or XPro transmitters, because the functions aren't named, they're numbered. So you have to go and look up what each one does, AND the documentation hasn't been updated for newer features/fixes that got added in subsequent firmware releases. There's a table in the manual on pages 8-9 that covers functions 00-09, but you actually have to dig through the damn firmware release notes to find out about 10 and 11. And of course, we have the lovely Godox chinglish kinda translation. Here's my best stab at explaining what the functions do:

00: Delay (in 100Ás) for hypersync/tail syncing. If you cable a light to an X1R receiver you can actually still use it with faster-than sync shutter speeds by tailsyncing, or having the camera fire the flash a little early, and use the flatter tail of the flash pulse to light the frame. It's a huge power suck (more than HSS), but works with non-HSS capable strobes. But. Sometimes you have to adjust the timing so everything works. This setting lets you do that, so you don't get a gradient of the flash across your frame.

01: Singe-pin mode. If you plan to use this on a different camera system, you can turn off signals on all the other pins except for the sync pin to avoid cross talk. Not really an issue with Sony Mi gear and everyone else, but a definite issue if you're doing, say, Canon and Fuji where the pin contact pattern/placement is identical. The X1T-S does not let you change this setting from 01 (on), but everybody else can go 00 (off) and 01 (on).

02: Zoom setting. AU (Auto) or a set locked zoom setting for all groups.

03: How you're going to use the PC sync socket, as an input (in) [say for using your light meter to set off your lights] or an output (out) to sync something else.

04: MULTI mode on/off.

05: Minimum power in MULTI mode (1/128 or 1/256)

06: Number of groups to 3 or 5. Godox's non-Canon speedlights can only do groups A-C, but their Canon ones, and their studio strobes can do A-E.

07: Recycle beep (on/off). Chirps when the flash has finished recycling and is ready to fire, so you don't have to look for the test button lighting up.

08: Force send settings every time (aka "multiple shooter" mode). By default the X1T will only send settings out to the lights when those settings are changed on the X1T. But if you have two shooters in the same shoot sharing lights, this can mean one person inadvertently changes the settings for the next guy. This setting will force the transmitter to send out the settings it has every time before sending out the sync signal, so two shooters with two different settings can use the same light without overwriting what the other one is doing.

09: APP mode; a mode where the transmitter only sends out the sync signal and doesn't ever send out any settings. Kind of the opposite of multishooter mode. If you're using the Godox bluetooth app with an A1 smartphone trigger (or the X2T or Flashpoint R2 Pro II), you can use your phone to set the power levels on the lights, and use the X1T on-camera to set off your lights without the X1T overwriting the settings the phone app has set. This will also work without the app/phone/BT transmitter if you simply want to use two transmitters at the same time: say, one in hand to meter with, and one on the camera to take photos.

10 (added in firmware v16): AF assist. Will enable AF assist with some e-mount bodies.

11: ID codes. A way to filter out unwanted triggering. If someone/something in the vicinity is setting off your lights, you can add this as a "filtering" code on top of the analog radio channel to stop that from happening. The codes on the transmitter and receiver unit HAVE to match before sync can happen.

QuoteQuote:
Now on the flash M mode green doesn't have a channel.
Yes. Because green without a lightning bolt or antenna means "on-camera" mode. It's not expecting to be used in a slave/master situation at all. So, no need for channels.

QuoteQuote:
Slave mode M does but slave mode doesn't allow HSS.
WHICH slave mode?!

There are FOUR possible slave modes on a V860II-S: "smart" optical slave mode (orange, lightning bolt); radio slave mode (orange, antenna); S1 and S2 "dumb" optical slave modes.

M/TTL power-control mode is completely independent and separate from the syncing mode. Let's get the syncing mode sussed out first before we get into the TTL/HSS bits.

Last edited by inkista; 05-29-2019 at 12:59 PM.
05-30-2019, 03:36 PM   #9
Pentaxian

And there was me thinking all this time that HSS off camera was only complicated with Pentax cameras!