Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-13-2019, 04:54 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
Peter, the 'bug' occurred when I was at 1/100 this morning. Only happened once in 90 mins testing.
If you tried to use -ve exposure compensation when your camera was already reading 1/100 then the behaviour you observe is normal I would suggest.

However, the same is not true with the Cactus flash. It isn't bad, but it is not as accurate
Have you updated the Cactus flash firmware ?

because using the triggers zooming a lens does not zoom either of the flashes
My Cactus V6II units will auto zoom both the flashes you are using. i suggest one of your settings is not correct.

06-13-2019, 05:05 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
If you tried to use -ve exposure compensation when your camera was already reading 1/100 then the behaviour you observe is normal I would suggest.

Have you updated the Cactus flash firmware ?

My Cactus V6II units will auto zoom both the flashes you are using. i suggest one of your settings is not correct.
The fact that I can't highlight the scale by pressing the exposure compensation button - it just bounces back to aperture - is the issue. It just happens infrequently. I'll monitor it.

Cactus firmware all upto date.

The zoom works from the trigger, but not automatically when zooming the lens as it does with the corded Pentax flash. This is what I didn't realise.

Thanks for responding ...
06-13-2019, 05:23 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The zoom works from the trigger, but not automatically when zooming the lens as it does with the corded Pentax flash. This is what I didn't realise.
i will give my setup a try and see if there is a setting needed.

The fact that I can't highlight the scale by pressing the exposure compensation button - it just bounces back to aperture - is the issue. It just happens infrequently. I'll monitor it.
It could be a troublesome button, but I think it more likely to be the cameras behaviour when you ask it to do something it cannot. A bit like trying to set the shutter speed above the sync.
06-13-2019, 06:18 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
i will give my setup a try and see if there is a setting needed.

It could be a troublesome button, but I think it more likely to be the cameras behaviour when you ask it to do something it cannot. A bit like trying to set the shutter speed above the sync.
Just tried shutter speeds of around 1/400 (in camera M mode) so in the HSS region. By default the Cactus works fine. The Pentax has to be set, via the sync button, to HSS. Works as is. Never tried this, so I was surprised it was so simple just freely dialling in speeds beyond the native sync speed. Wonder if I've missed something ... ?

06-15-2019, 11:40 AM   #20
Pentaxian

The zoom works from the trigger, but not automatically when zooming the lens as it does with the corded Pentax flash.
This is normal.

It wouldn't make sense for off-camera flashes to change their zoom settings based on the focal length of the camera. Tracking the focal length of the lens only makes sense for a flash mounted to the camera and pointing forward. In all other situations (including bounce flash) one wants to control the flash spread independently of the focal length of the lens.

N.B., I don't think you are missing anything regarding HSS. It is very simple to achieve using the Cactus triggers. I'm surprised you had to do anything to the Pentax flash. I would have thought setting it to "P-TTL" mode should be sufficient. On my Metz 58 AF-2, I have to select "P-TTL HSS", but that's all. Note that you should turn on the flash first and then the V6 II receiver.
06-15-2019, 12:39 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
This is normal.

It wouldn't make sense for off-camera flashes to change their zoom settings based on the focal length of the camera. Tracking the focal length of the lens only makes sense for a flash mounted to the camera and pointing forward. In all other situations (including bounce flash) one wants to control the flash spread independently of the focal length of the lens.
Guess that makes some sense, but an off camera Pentax via cord zooms the flash. So not entirely consistent. No problem - I've just been working out how they work, what's different and what I have to remember.

Overall the Cactus trigger and flash work well. Yes, the Pentax is more refined and consistent, but it doesn't offer the convenience of the Cactus gear which is also a lot cheaper.

Hopefully, I've all its foilbles worked out now ...