Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-01-2019, 06:50 AM   #1

AF-540FGZ head a bit loose?

Silly question maybe, but I've never been any good with flash, so I thought I'd play with some Rogue FlashBenders as a simple step. However, even though they don't weigh much, all but the smallest just tips the head of my flash down

Taking flashes apart isn't generally a good idea, but can I just tighten up the ratchet somehow? Any ideas? Or obvious ways round it that just haven't occurred to me?

06-01-2019, 07:24 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MEtoK110D Quote
Taking flashes apart isn't generally a good idea
Correct, not least because there can be residual charge in the unit which can give a very nasty shock. Cannot answer your actual question I am afraid.
06-01-2019, 08:46 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You might trawl YouTube to see if anyone has a video on repairing these particular flashes. If so, it may become apparent whether there is a means of tightening.
06-03-2019, 08:58 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I asked this question a few years back, the answer I got is that that is the way it is, there is no adjustment. It's annoying I know, even the lightest diffuser weighs the head down so only 90degrees is usable.

06-03-2019, 10:28 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
OK, if we must design something I suggest the following:

First, note that there is a flat surface under the Pentax Corporation sticker on the levered front part (flash head part)
Second, whittle a piece of wood or plastic that is an appropriate length for the angle desired to wedge between this flat surface and the top edge of the lower assembly
Third obtain a few rubber bands (elastics in the UK) that are thick but fairly small in circumference. US 3.5-inch size would be about the upper circumference limit. Use these to keep the wood/plastic block in place.

Alternatively, for a quick stab at a solution, a built-up multilayer gaffer tape or masking tape wad on the tubular section the flash head rotates around might also hold if the weight of the diffuser is not too great.

I notice on my recently obtained used unit that the push button at the hinge point doesn't seem to affect the rotation. Perhaps the mere act of forcing the head without pushing the button -- a button missing on earlier units and perhaps ignored by owners -- breaks something that would otherwise resist diffuser droop.©