Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-02-2019, 01:42 PM   #1

Considering X2T vs V1

Hi guys,

I finished a work two weeks ago, edited pics and ordered for printing a week ago, and deliverd the printed pics into nice albums yesterday. I think it was a great success, the moms were delighted with the photographs, and almost all of them were sold.
As always, I just reviewed what worked, what not, what failed, if my equipment were suitable for the work or not... what to keep, what to change... that kind of things.

Some of you know that I'm wating for the Godox V1 to be available for Pentax. It's still not available and I couldn't use it for my past work. But the main reason for getting this flash is to simplify my main camera's setup. As I need a PTTL speedlight on camera for fill, but also to control 3 other flashes off camera, my solution is to have my Metz on camera, and a Xpro trigger on a bracket connected to my camera's sync port. It is not too uncomfortable, but I prefer to have a setup with less weight and fewer devices.

So when the V1 appeared, and I saw the first reviews, I thought it was the perfect device to solve my problem: a dedicated flash that is at the same time a trigger, and that is easy to operate. It's not super-powerfull, but I don't need a lot of power; my Metz is starting to get old, and I needed a flash with better recycle times.

Before the V1, I was considering the Metz M400, a very light and compact flash with good recycle times.
After the V1, my decision was clear, but now I'm starting to consider another option.

Why did I change my mind? Well, the answer was the X2T trigger. It seems a very capable trigger, quick operation. So, what if I just get a X2T for Pentax and put a M400 on top ? I'm considering 'my' pros and cons, and using the X2T this way doesn't seem a bad idea.

V1 pros
* flash and trigger in just one device
* can be used on camera or as slave
* lithium batteries

V1 cons
* weights 420 grams without batteries
* a bit expensive just for a fill flash

XT2 + M400 pros
* I get an extra spare Godox trigger (did I mention that a I have a XproP, 2 XProC, XT32 and FT16 ? )
* I have a light flash if I just need it
* weights 90 + 220 = 310 grams without batteries
* Enable/disable the M400 for fill flash is super-fast (using the on/off button)
* I can use the X2T with my Metz 48, and decide if bought the M400 later

XT2 + M400 cons
* too much stress on the camera's shoe ?
* M400 can't be used as a slave
* use 'standard' batteries instead of lithium ones
* will the X2T passthrough allow all the flash functions on the top flash ?

What do you think ? I'm open to hear your opinions. I never had a X1T so not sure how good is as a passthrough device.

Regards.

06-03-2019, 02:44 AM   #2

Original Poster
Ok, I'll auto-answer myself: It seems that there is no evidence that the X2T supports PTTL pass through. If this is the case, then it has no sense to put any small PTTL flash on top of the X2T, because I'll lose PTTL for main, on camera flash. Still a valid idea, but not so good as to just use the V1, and have it all.

By the moment, I'll have to wait to confirm TTL passthrogh capability.

Regards.

Last edited by morenjavi; 06-03-2019 at 05:09 AM.
06-03-2019, 12:25 PM - 1 Like   #3

Yup, the TTL-passthrough thing is a possible issue.

The other issue is the X2T-P isn't out, yet, either. And as it got announced after the V1, chances are a V1-P will pop up for sale before an X2T-P does. Also, it's the only version of the X2T where you can't download the manual right now, so could be the last version out.

Thirdly (just a minor point), I don't think either the V1 or the X2T do TCM as a radio master.

The V1 can do it as an on-camera flash. But as far as I can tell, the X2T has no TCM capability at all (specs on a few sources (including Flash Havoc) say that it does, but the Adorama R2 II pages don't mention it at all). So if you've been using TCM on the XPro, that may be another issue.
06-11-2019, 01:46 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

None of the other Godox hotshoe flashes support PTTL and can be used as a trigger?

06-11-2019, 06:31 PM - 1 Like   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by jake14mw Quote
None of the other Godox hotshoe flashes support PTTL and can be used as a trigger?
It has to be a "-P" flavor Godox hotshoe flash if you want to use it as both a hotshoe flash and radio transmitter. And at this time, only is released and available for purchase: the TT350-P mini speedlight..

An upcoming li-on round-head flash, the V1-P, has been announced, but is not yet available and has not yet had a release date announced. (At this time, only the Canon, Nikon, and Sony versions are available for purchase; Fuji, Olympus/Panasonic, and Pentax are pre-order only).

There has been no information on a V350-P, TT685-P or V860II-P speedlight from Godox, which are the other TTL speedlight models in the Godox system.
06-12-2019, 01:11 AM   #6

Original Poster
Hello,

I considered at the very beginning to get the TT350-P, but I discarded the idea. It's too weak for me, little battery... This flash has capabilities as a remote controller, but it has a tiny display where it seems you can only see the status of only one remote flash at a time, and also the way to change setting for remote flashes is not really quick.

The only Godox speedlight that has a decent interface for controlling remote flashes is the V1. If you look for the Robert Hall's videos, you can see how easy the V1 controls 3 remote flashes and the V1 as a master. Also, as the manual is yet avilable, you can get an idea about how easy or difficult is to do it.

Another option, that inkista has commented, should be the availability of a V860II-P. But this flash should have a similar interface to that of the V1.

Regards.