Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-07-2019, 12:53 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Looking to add additional flash, new to OCF

I am just working with OFC a little bit and I have a pentax k3 and cactus v6 and Nikon SB800. I have been able to get those to work fine and use the flash manually and get looks I want but I wanted to add a second flash and I am overwhelmed and confused and I wanted to make sure I was understanding the way they all work or don't work together

So my options I think would be a Pentax flash, The Godox tt 350p and Yongnuo 585. Are there others?

I was leaning toward the godox - so I can use HSS and P-TTL while mounted on camera - but the cactus will not control it at all? I would need to get the godox xprop to use it? (I am considering this if I move into AD200) and then I can't use the godox to control the nikon unless I get x1 trigger for the nikon flash? I just want to know if I have that right

The Yongnuo 585 is manual so I can use the cactus for that but I would have to create a profile?
Is there another good set up or option I can consider?

06-07-2019, 05:22 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Murfy Quote
I cannot comment on the different options you mention in your post, but this is my setup:

Two Pentax AF540 flashes
One Pentax Af360 flash
Two Cactus RF60X flashes
Four Cactus V6II transceivers.

The Pentax units will give P-TTL and HSS if mounted on camera (the Cactus wont). The Cactus RF60X units have a transceiver built in.

Most of my flash work involves two off camera flashes, sometimes with a third flash as a hair light, and if using an illuminated HiLite background then two additional flashes to light that. All can be triggered/controlled from the cactus V6II radio trigger on the camera. I usually use manual flash control but they all can be used in P-TTL mode if required. HSS is available though I don't use it.

The Cactus V6II units can also be used as a basic trigger sending a "fire" signal only. I use this if I want to use a flash meter, setting the power output on the individual flash units themselves.

What do you want to use the lighting for? Studio type setup indoors or outdoors too? This may help others give suggestions.
06-08-2019, 03:56 AM   #3

I am just working with OFC a little bit and I have a pentax k3 and cactus v6 and Nikon SB800....

So my options I think would be a Pentax flash, The Godox tt 350p and Yongnuo 585. Are there others?
Just me, but 3rd-party flashes (vs. OEM) may not be as compatible as you want with the Cactus triggers. Just the typical dangers of reverse-engineered gear.

QuoteQuote:
I was leaning toward the godox - so I can use HSS and P-TTL while mounted on camera - but the cactus will not control it at all? I would need to get the godox xprop to use it? (I am considering this if I move into AD200) and then I can't use the godox to control the nikon unless I get x1 trigger for the nikon flash? I just want to know if I have that right
The Godox X1R triggers at this time only come in Canon, Nikon, and Sony flavors. And they don't have any cross-platform TTL compatibility. If you want to use the SB-800 on an X1R-N in TTL/HSS, you have to have a Godox -N transmitter (e.g., XPro-N) on a Nikon camera body. You can't use it with an XPro-P on a Pentax body and do anything but fire the SB-800. No TTL, HSS/FP or remote power control. It's not like the Cactus system.

A not-for-Pentax Godox V860II speedlight, if the firmware is up-to-date, can be used in TTL/HSS/with remote power control from an XPro-P, but not on the camera hotshoe, because the pins on its foot and electronic signal protocol won't match Pentax's. And there is, at this time, no V860II-P, TT685-P, and the V1-P isn't out yet. And the TT685 models haven't yet been issued the firmware update to be able to be used in P-TTL.

Unfortunately, at this time, the only P-TTL speedlight Godox makes is the TT350-P mini speedlight. And unlike the TT685/V860II full-sized speedlights, it's also like the X1R and not designed to do cross-platform TTL. So while it could be a TTL/HSS slave to an Xpro-P transmitter, it won't be to an Xpro-N on a Nikon camera, like a V860II can be.

QuoteQuote:
If you don't need TTL/HSS for on-camera usage, the $65 Godox TT600 is a single-pin manual flash that can do HSS and remote power control as a radio slave via its built-in radio trigger and an Xpro-P. That might be cheap enough to get two and use them instead of an SB-800/V6 combo. But because it's single-pin it can't do TTL/HSS on the camera hotshoe.
06-08-2019, 06:22 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by inkista Quote
Just me, but 3rd-party flashes (vs. OEM) may not be as compatible as you want with the Cactus triggers. Just the typical dangers of reverse-engineered gear.

The Godox X1R triggers at this time only come in Canon, Nikon, and Sony flavors. And they don't have any cross-platform TTL compatibility. If you want to use the SB-800 on an X1R-N in TTL/HSS, you have to have a Godox -N transmitter (e.g., XPro-N) on a Nikon camera body. You can't use it with an XPro-P on a Pentax body and do anything but fire the SB-800. No TTL, HSS/FP or remote power control. It's not like the Cactus system.

A not-for-Pentax Godox V860II speedlight, if the firmware is up-to-date, can be used in TTL/HSS/with remote power control from an XPro-P, but not on the camera hotshoe, because the pins on its foot and electronic signal protocol won't match Pentax's. And there is, at this time, no V860II-P, TT685-P, and the V1-P isn't out yet. And the TT685 models haven't yet been issued the firmware update to be able to be used in P-TTL.

Unfortunately, at this time, the only P-TTL speedlight Godox makes is the TT350-P mini speedlight. And unlike the TT685/V860II full-sized speedlights, it's also like the X1R and not designed to do cross-platform TTL. So while it could be a TTL/HSS slave to an Xpro-P transmitter, it won't be to an Xpro-N on a Nikon camera, like a V860II can be.

If you don't need TTL/HSS for on-camera usage, the $65 Godox TT600 is a single-pin manual flash that can do HSS and remote power control as a radio slave via its built-in radio trigger and an Xpro-P. That might be cheap enough to get two and use them instead of an SB-800/V6 combo. But because it's single-pin it can't do TTL/HSS on the camera hotshoe.
I am just working with OFC a little bit and I have a pentax k3 and cactus v6 and Nikon SB800. I have been able to get those to work fine and use the flash manually and get looks I want but I wanted to add a second flash and I am overwhelmed and confused and I wanted to make sure I was understanding the way they all work or don't work together

The Yongnuo 585 is manual so I can use the cactus for that but I would have to create a profile?
Just came across this article on PetaPixel you may find interesting on Godox and Cross Platform

Godox Quietly Launched Cross-Brand TTL and HSS On All Lights

06-08-2019, 06:38 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
I cannot comment on the different options you mention in your post, but this is my setup:

Two Pentax AF540 flashes
One Pentax Af360 flash
Two Cactus RF60X flashes
Four Cactus V6II transceivers.

The Pentax units will give P-TTL and HSS if mounted on camera (the Cactus wont). The Cactus RF60X units have a transceiver built in.

Most of my flash work involves two off camera flashes, sometimes with a third flash as a hair light, and if using an illuminated HiLite background then two additional flashes to light that. All can be triggered/controlled from the cactus V6II radio trigger on the camera. I usually use manual flash control but they all can be used in P-TTL mode if required. HSS is available though I don't use it.

The Cactus V6II units can also be used as a basic trigger sending a "fire" signal only. I use this if I want to use a flash meter, setting the power output on the individual flash units themselves.

What do you want to use the lighting for? Studio type setup indoors or outdoors too? This may help others give suggestions.
I want to expand into fine art portrait - environmental and studio - just wanting to learn right now.

I found a few Af360 flashes used that seemed a pretty good price and I may just get one of those. I don't need HSS but I wanted it as a option to see how/when I would need to use it. I may never actually use it.
06-08-2019, 07:31 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I found a few Af360 flashes used that seemed a pretty good price and I may just get one of those
I would suggest you go for the more powerful version AF540.
06-08-2019, 12:38 PM   #7

I want to expand into fine art portrait - environmental and studio - just wanting to learn right now.

I found a few Af360 flashes used that seemed a pretty good price and I may just get one of those. I don't need HSS but I wanted it as a option to see how/when I would need to use it. I may never actually use it.
If you only want HSS with the off-camera flashes and TTL/HSS with an on-camera one, you could get a Godox TT350-P as the on-camera unit/transmitter and use $65 TT600s as the off-camera ones. That would give you HSS and remote power control over the TT600s, and TTL/HSS over the TT350-P.

But, obviously, the Pentax speedlights will give you better power, features, and compatibility as an on-camera flash (and "smart" optical slaving) over the TT350-P 2xAA mini speedlight. The only things the TT350-P does better are being smaller and being a TTL/HSS radio transmitter in the Godox X system.
06-12-2019, 02:37 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I just wanted to update that I found a cactus rf60 used and purchased that so I didn't need to add another v6 transceiver (v6 is on sale at cactus right now for $42 though, but this saved me $42)
This is just for me to practice mostly, but this flash is BIG! LOL.
HSS will have to wait.