Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2019, 11:57 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Pairing flash and camera ???

Hello everyone!
I own Pentax K70.
My friend has K50 and Pentax flash AF540FGZ that are sinchronized so whenever he changes aperture, flash adjusts its settings.
We tried it on my K70 but flash didn't work. Stone dead. I mean, it flashed all right, but no other life signs.
My question is: do I need to pair the flash and the camera? There's nothing in the K70 manual about it.
Is there anything I must do to ensure synchronisation between the two?
Soon I'll have a chance to try one more AF540FGZ and I don't want to miss the opportunity to buy it.
Any other suggestions for some other external flash with same or better characteristics?
Thanks to all!

06-11-2019, 01:12 PM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by violaferenc Quote
Hello everyone!
I own Pentax K70.
My friend has K50 and Pentax flash AF540FGZ that are sinchronized so whenever he changes aperture, flash adjusts its settings.
We tried it on my K70 but flash didn't work. Stone dead. I mean, it flashed all right, but no other life signs.
My question is: do I need to pair the flash and the camera? There's nothing in the K70 manual about it.
Is there anything I must do to ensure synchronisation between the two?
Soon I'll have a chance to try one more AF540FGZ and I don't want to miss the opportunity to buy it.
Any other suggestions for some other external flash with same or better characteristics?
Thanks to all!
If the flash is in P-TTL mode, then it will change its settings all on its own. If you are in P-TTL HSS, then you can raise the shutter over 1/180. You can do whatever you want with the camera and the flash will attempt to achieve the correct exposure.
06-11-2019, 01:43 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
If the flash is in P-TTL mode, then it will change its settings all on its own. If you are in P-TTL HSS, then you can raise the shutter over 1/180. You can do whatever you want with the camera and the flash will attempt to achieve the correct exposure.
Thanks enoeske! I just didn't get the first part..."the flash will change its settings all on its own". If in the P-TTL HSS mode it adjusts to the camera, in P-TTL mode mode it adjusts to what?
06-11-2019, 02:05 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Thanks enoeske! I just didn't get the first part..."the flash will change its settings all on its own". If in the P-TTL HSS mode it adjusts to the camera, in P-TTL mode mode it adjusts to what?
In all P-TTL modes, the flash adjusts itself. You set what you want on the camera. When you go to take a shot, it shoots a very fast pre-flash and calculates what it needs to do to get the correct exposure, and then shoots the main flash in sync with the camera's exposure. If you have the camera set to underexpose, the flash will use more power to brighten it. If you have the scene metered at 18% gray already, it will use barely any power.

Normal sync speed of the aps-c cameras are usually 1/180th. The flash will not fire if you have the camera set faster. You can change the flash to P-TTL HSS (high speed sync) which will change the flash to a series of small bursts allowing you to shoot above the 1/180 limit.

06-11-2019, 04:11 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I've had similar behavior from my AF540FGZ and found that (assuming the contacts are clean) with everything off, assemble the flash onto the hot shoe. Then turn on the camera first, and after a few seconds, turn on the flash.

---------- Post added 06-11-19 at 07:14 PM ----------

Also, in order for the zoom feature to work, be sure that the flash diffuser is not deployed.
06-12-2019, 05:49 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks a lot folks! I can't wait to try it this weekend. Keep ur fingers crossed I buy the thing.